Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233859 times)

spywar

Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2013, 09:44:31 AM »
@trueindian
You are still on Avast 7?
He has given the link to Avast 7 to a user that wanted to go back to V7.

spywar

true indian

« Reply #196 on: March 08, 2013, 10:21:31 AM »
@trueindian
You are still on Avast 7?

I am running avast v8 on my clients running win7,win XP and win8 and vista and also machines running at my home are on avast 8 right now with no issues  ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:23:18 AM by true indian »

ImWarm

« Reply #197 on: March 08, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »
The new user interface is really great. avast8 is much improved over version 7, the only thing I don't like about it is that after installing, the "install google chrome" checkbox is checked by default, even on the paid version

BrianR

« Reply #198 on: March 09, 2013, 01:00:58 AM »
I like the intent of the new features - most of which worked well. HOWEVER, it broke my SSL e-mail.. had to revert to POP3 to fix it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #199 on: March 09, 2013, 01:06:08 AM »
Read my Reply #190 eight posts before yours and you will see why and what to do to resolve it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2013, 04:45:30 AM »
I just barely finished installing avast 8.
My immediate thought from the word go, even as it was barely starting to install was ...
Did I mistakenly download the BETA Setup File?
It didn't have a finished product look like the awesome LOOK that avast 7 had.

Then once it was all installed, I STILL had my doubts whether I didn't have avast 8 BETA installed.
Again, that, because of the GUI's extremely basic LOOK.
It blends way too much into my AOL Welcome Screen and into the avast Forums' Screen.
Because of the lack of contrast, I have a hard time telling where the borders of the GUI are.
I loved the LOOK of the avast 7 GUI.
The LOOK of the avast 8 GUI?  Nnnnggg, it is a regression.

I guess on the bright side, there didn't appear to be any problems in the installation.
And I guess the protection is supposed to be better.
But yeah, hopefully the GUI gets changed.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

curlywurly

« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2013, 07:58:39 PM »

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #202 on: March 09, 2013, 08:06:50 PM »
New Avast is behaving crazy.I’ve changed UI language and suddenly I was from Avast Free in
Avast Pro Trial mode.I didn’t know how to downgrade to free version again.There was no button
that used to be there.Also trial of 30 days expired within few minutes and I was unprotected.
I’ve tried to restart Windows 7 and I still was unprotected and Avast version was 7 .That was
weird.I had to uninstall version 7 and install version 8.0.1483.One more thing,before this crazy
stuff started I received notification about new version 8.0.1455 although I had latest version installed-8.0.1483.Sorry about my English.

sparrowlord01

« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2013, 08:50:13 PM »
I just made the mistake of upgrading to Avast 8 today.  Now I have a mess.  Not only does it have the worst looking interface I have ever seen on an AV product, but now I can't install the Firewall service, and it has messed up a bunch of other stuff.  The interface looks like Windows 8, which is clunky, blocky, flat, and boring looking.  It looks like the kind of stuff I used to see in the mid 90s for interface layout and graphics.  I have no plans on upgrading to Windows 8, and now I have to look at this for a year until my subscription runs out and I can get some other software that looks decent and won't cause me all of these problems...  And that update notifier for other software is ANNOYING!

Nawach

« Reply #204 on: March 10, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »
Hello all,

I updated from version 7 to version 8 build 1482, then 1483 a few days ago with no major issues... and everything seems to run smoothly on my system since (which is a relief because V7's last builds had been troublesome somewhat for me).

First, like some here, I can't say that I'm overly keen on the new "Homepage" design: I find it a bit boring and its usefulness is beyond me (except for the fact that it clearly shows that I don't have access to some features, as I'm using the free version, and that I can go to the "market" if I feel like spending).
Fortunately, the UI remembers the last tab I was on on closing, so that's one sorted.

The Software Updater and Browser Cleaner are quite cute additions (although a bit "gadgety").
However, after installation on a secondary PC, the Updater did make me realize that I had forgotten to update some programs.
As for the Cleaner, I was actually expecting "more", in the sense that it boasts the possibility to get rid of "unwanted toolbars". What it doesn't say is that it's actually scanning indiscriminately for any plugins, add-ons installed, legitimate or not.
It would certainly save scrolling time and potential unwanted errors, if that scan was referenced to known adware, malware toolbars and would show only those.

Finally, I'm a bit perplexed by the apparent multiplication of menus and submenus. For example, in my mind, Software Updater, Browser Cleaner and Ad Blocker are all "tools", and as for now, they can be found in 3 separate places, which is a bit confusing.

neil.fm

« Reply #205 on: March 10, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »
its a better use interface but i cant get program updates or version updates, everything just freezes when i click update button in the maintenance tab

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2013, 11:28:57 AM »
Software updater doesn't recognize Firefox 19.0.2 and for IE10 in Windows 7 says that latest version is IE9.
Browser Cleanup tool is useless.WebRank Seo IE Toolbar is rated with 2 stars and that I should remove it because it
modifies home page which is not true.It is rated with 5 stars at Softpedia,IE Gallery and download.cnet.Versions for
other browsers are rated with 4 or 5 stars.Who is rating toolbars and addons in Browser Cleanup tool?Anyway,for
removing toolbars I use Iobit Uninstaller and AdwCleaner.The worst toolbar is Google IE Toolbar.After uninstalling,
it will reappear when there is update for it.I had to find googletoolbar installer and googletoolbar updater and delete
them.

beemer400

« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »
Apart from freezing the computer, screwing up Outlook, and generally being a disaster, it is not bad for a buggy poorly tested version.

Just read some of the other forum comments.
Not a happy user after some 5 years.
Colin

Offline ajey

• Safe with avast! :)
    • Ajey's computer blog
« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »
Everything is lovely and neat... the best just got better ;) :D
Windows 10 | avast! premium security | https://ajeyscomputerblog.blogspot.com/

bikemanAMD

« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2013, 05:56:44 PM »
Working Well here,  Software Updater is a nice addition, helps keep PC's software all patched up, and that will protect from security holes and exploits as well.     Browser Cleanup tool also a nice addition,  Adblocker is very nice addition as well for All Systems,  Thank you for making such a great product Avast Developers.