Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233784 times)

rnp

Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #420 on: May 20, 2013, 12:04:30 AM »
22 minutes to start up with updated program. What has happened to what was a pretty good program?

Sandboxed firefox keeps going to no response mode.

very very frustrating

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #421 on: May 20, 2013, 03:30:00 AM »
22 minutes to start up with updated program. What has happened to what was a pretty good program?

Sandboxed firefox keeps going to no response mode.

very very frustrating
If you're looking for help, please start your own topic and give us more information about the problem you're experiencing.
Will also need more information about your OS and computer and what other security related software you're running.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline digmor crusher

« Reply #422 on: May 20, 2013, 05:22:18 AM »
Once again a piece of software that adds google toolbar by default and I missed the check box.  Avast is now off my system. YOU HAVE IT ALL WRONG. The default should be  no google, and bold checkbox to add it.  And your verification box isn't all that great either.

Default should definitely be NO Google, sort of sneaky having it the other way around. All respected software should be this way, trying to sneak Google in is no better than trying to sneak the Ask toolbar in. And obviously it is a problem as indicated by the numerous people on here who complain about it.

deathpool36

« Reply #423 on: May 20, 2013, 08:40:35 AM »
Any time I use the update program feature it tries to update and I am using version 8.0.1489 is there a version after this and why is the update not completing if so?  :o

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #424 on: May 20, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »
Any time I use the update program feature it tries to update and I am using version 8.0.1489 is there a version after this and why is the update not completing if so?  :o
8.0.1489 is the latest version, when a new version is out you'll see it posted here in the forum so no need to keep running the Program Update.

g0dsends

« Reply #425 on: May 21, 2013, 03:58:39 AM »
yeah asking too install google chrome shouldnt be in the installer  ;)

fafafa

« Reply #426 on: May 23, 2013, 11:48:51 PM »
I don't like UI designed for touch pads and phones on big screen pc's, makes everything look like a Fisher Price toy, but I guess that is what today's generation grew up with. It would be nice to have a faster UI default alternative for desktop users.

Software is still good of course and that is what counts.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #427 on: May 23, 2013, 11:55:54 PM »
It is one page, soon dispensed when you click the Security tab, where you will get most of the information that you are likely to require without tiles.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

glenisb

« Reply #428 on: May 24, 2013, 11:23:10 PM »
I'm about ready to give up on Avast.  I've done the proper uninstall and reinstall.  The latest update set off 1 or 2 BSOD's each day, firefox crashes 5-8 times a day and computer freezes 2 or 3 times a day.  The licence is not worth the time I've lost in the last 2 weeks trying to resolve the problems.  Next blue screen and I'm uninstalling for good and going to something else.

Offline MrMaxaMan

« Reply #429 on: May 25, 2013, 01:51:40 AM »
I'm about ready to give up on Avast.  I've done the proper uninstall and reinstall.  The latest update set off 1 or 2 BSOD's each day, firefox crashes 5-8 times a day and computer freezes 2 or 3 times a day.  The licence is not worth the time I've lost in the last 2 weeks trying to resolve the problems.  Next blue screen and I'm uninstalling for good and going to something else.

Quite a few people are getting BSOD's. I've had a lot lately, hopefully this will be corrected soon.
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

glenisb

« Reply #430 on: May 25, 2013, 02:00:10 AM »
I've frozen and BSOD'd - plus had firefox shut down twice since my last post.  I've uninstalled Avast - I don't have time to spend hours a day trying to resolve something I paid $70 (?) for.   I haven't upgraded my other 2 pc's to v8 and they continue to work well. 

I guess I'll test AVG.  Any other recommendations?

Arnold72

« Reply #431 on: May 25, 2013, 02:14:04 AM »
I've frozen and BSOD'd - plus had firefox shut down twice since my last post.  I've uninstalled Avast - I don't have time to spend hours a day trying to resolve something I paid $70 (?) for.   I haven't upgraded my other 2 pc's to v8 and they continue to work well. 

I guess I'll test AVG.  Any other recommendations?
Sorry to hear of your experience with avast and unfortunately i too have uninstalled because of bluescreens at boot up time.
Avira free is a nice av that runs nicely.
it is on my computer anyhow.

Just my recommendation.

binghamjc

« Reply #432 on: May 25, 2013, 03:32:26 AM »
I like it just a little less than I liked Avast! 7. So I would give it a rating of 9 of 10.

glenisb

« Reply #433 on: May 25, 2013, 02:05:05 PM »
I've had Avast for many years but after problems for 2 months I haven't Blue screened, crashed nor has Firefox crashed since installing AVG earlier today.  Firefox and Thunderbird are at least twice as fast.  My mouse isn't 'dragging' any more. Long may it continue.

Of course it's possible the problems were not caused by Avast so only time will tell.

leshay

« Reply #434 on: May 25, 2013, 10:44:17 PM »
Hi
I like the new version so much, that I have removed it and installed Microsoft Essentials instead. Bye Bye !Avast.