Author Topic: Still Can't Get Avast Working With Thunderbird SSL  (Read 43366 times)

floggedhorse

Re: Still Can't Get Avast Working With Thunderbird SSL
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 12:55:38 PM »
For incoming mail settings, Bell recommended 'Yes' for'SSL required' which would set the Port to 995; however, I had to set it to 'None' which changed the Port to 110. Today, I returned to that recommended setting for 'Incoming' and this solved the problem with accessing Sympatico mail through Thunderbird.

Yes this worked for me to, but with UK2.net mail

- although its only temporary fix, all it does is - Not use SSL

Neil Parks

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2013, 03:19:19 AM »
Right now, as long as the mail shield is running, I cannot access gmail IMAP whether I use SSL (port 993) or not (port 143).

Neil Parks

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2013, 03:25:16 AM »
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116551.msg906829#msg906829

and

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116551.msg907659#msg907659.

Avparn has similar problems, and vojtech is quite knowledgeable.  Are you running Thunderbird 17.0.4?

Both of the above links are broken.

JulGer

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 01:39:08 PM »
Finally. got mine working!  I printed the instructions from here:

"http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB91#artTitle

went through the step, really pretty simple and it started working as it should.

Thank you! I was going crazy about this! This is exactly what solved the problem!

Neil Parks

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2013, 11:40:01 PM »

went through the step, really pretty simple and it started working as it should.
I have tried this procedure several times.  Sometimes it seems to work, but after awhile it stops working. 

I am constantly being asked to allow a permanent security exception for all the servers whose names I deleted in the instructions.

I frequently am unable to send any outbound msgs at all unless I stop the mail shield.  When I stop it, all the problems stop.  When I restart it, sometimes I'll get lucky, and sometimes I'll have to stop it again.

The old method of intercepting emails and inserting secure login data that was in effect through Avast 7 always worked well.  The current process is an abject and utter failure. 

Just the act of keeping Thunderbird open for a long time almost guarantees that I will hit the "connection limit" described elsewhere in these forums.  That was not happening with Avast 7.  (Yes, I have tried several times to edit the INI file as instructed.  I'm the sole administrator and sole user of my XP, and I can never get permission to modify that file.)

:(     :(     :(

Arcanum

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2013, 07:04:06 PM »

Unfortunately this didn't work at me. I've tried several times, but haven't been wiser. :(

Neil Parks

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2013, 10:10:50 PM »
Salvation may--just may--be at hand.

Go to this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=118325.0

and go down near the end, where Vojtech has posted a link to a .dll file.  Install it as instructed.  If that does not fix the problem, then reset Avast to factory default (it's under troubleshooting) and reboot when prompted.

Vorth

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2013, 10:24:41 PM »
You can disable ssl scanning in avast mail options

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2013, 11:38:21 PM »
You can disable ssl scanning in avast mail options

That is hardly a solution, if you want your emails scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Arcanum

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2013, 12:21:23 AM »
Salvation may--just may--be at hand.

Go to this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=118325.0

and go down near the end, where Vojtech has posted a link to a .dll file.  Install it as instructed.  If that does not fix the problem, then reset Avast to factory default (it's under troubleshooting) and reboot when prompted.

That was the perfect solution, supplemented with the 8 steps of breppo. Now It's working as fast as lightning.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2013, 02:28:28 AM »
I was hoping today's update would have dealt with this problem which, for me is fairly new.

I cannot live with this problem.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

jjel

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2013, 03:54:48 AM »
FINALLY - fixed it - I now have Thunderbird working with SSL

In addition to following these instructions

http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB91#artTitle

I had to delete the existing certificate in Thunderbird and then import the one I exported

For some reason in certmgr when I exported the ceritifcate it delete it from the store at the same time! I had to re-import there too

All is good at the moment! But what a faff - what a lot of time spent and if your not an IT guru - what hope have you? Please peeps at Avast - DO SOMETHING TO FIX THIS!
This worked for me. Thank you. Since fewer than 1% of users could follow this solution and 0% should have to I have found another solution. Control panel>Add/remove programs>Avast>uninstall

actor39

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2013, 04:21:46 AM »
 :)Maybe good news for some of you....I had this problem with my new computer.  It has W7 pro on it, and I first installed Thunderbird, and then installed Avast several days later.  Thunderbird worked perfectly until I installed Avast, and the symptoms were that Thunderbird was not able to connect to my mail server, either to receive or send messages.  It took me a while to even realize that Avast might be the problem.  Then I found this thread, and started adjusting things, as suggested.  I was able to export the Avast certificate and import it into Thunderbird, but this did not solve the problem.  Then I noticed that in reply #38, by stduc, he/she mentioned that the Thunderbird certificate needed to be deleted and re-imported from Avast.  Well, I deleted the Avast certificate from Thunderbird, and then tested Thunderbird, and it worked!  Well, sort of.  Thunderbird asked me to confirm certificate exceptions, which I did, and THEN it worked just fine, with Avast doing its scanning like it should.
   So I have this diagnosis:  Avast found the Thunderbird folders when it was being installed, and inserted a certificate, which didn't work.  I have other computers where Avast was installed before Thunderbird, and I did not have this problem.  So now I suppose Thunderbird has created whatever certificate information it needs, and it has done that right.  As far as I know, everything is working just fine, and as designed to work.  I hope this helps someone!