Author Topic: Avast! Account Shows Anti-theft Not Installed, but It Is  (Read 24739 times)

greiam

Re: Avast! Account Shows Anti-theft Not Installed, but It Is
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 09:02:35 AM »
I was having these problems, too, where Anti-Theft was installed and activated, but reported as not at my.avast.com.

Frankly, I've uninstalled because of this and a couple of other issues. I'll follow what's going on with them and may reinstall in the future.

Alan41238584

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 08:04:53 PM »
I just had my Anti-theft updated to 2.0.4681 and now both my devices (Nexus7 & Sony Xperia) show as Anti-theft not installed when I look on-line.

Tried disconnected & re-connecting the devices from my account but it's made no difference this time (it fixed it last time this happened).

Any ideas?

Buford T. Justice

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 07:03:54 AM »
I can verify this issue as well on my HTC Vivid running CyanogenMod 10 on AT&T.  I lost my phone earlier today.  I looked for it on the PC and was told on my Avast account that anti-theft was not installed.  Thankfully a person who knows me saw I had forgotten my phone and had it for me.  I opened AMS and AAT was installed.  I uninstalled and reinstalled it which seems to have fixed it on my Avast account.

Another friend has a Motorola on Verizon.  His AAT was also said to not be installed on his avast account yet it was installed on the phone.  I had him remove and reinstall it which seems to be working for him.

This issue is NOT device-specific.  It is software bug.

AVAST!  This is a SERIOUS problem.  We, the users, may have a time where we must know where our lost or stolen phones are.  We cannot find out that AAM is not working when we need it the most.  I was simply lucky today in this regard.

If this happens again, I might have to switch back to COMODO's offering.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:21:28 AM by Buford T. Justice »

kiwi_kirsch

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 09:17:07 AM »
I am having this exact problem.

it did NOT help to..

- reboot the phone.
- check for communication issues.
- update.
- deinstall and reinstall. (helped for a short timeframe, but the issue is back)
- initially log in on my.avast on that certain device, log out again and log in again.

my device in question is a samsung i9000gt, rooted with cyanogenmod10. other devices listed on my.avast are an htc magic (perfectly working), the computer i am just writing on (no issues i know about) and a netbook of mine (neither any issues).

i would really love to know i can rely on that anti-theft thing. problem would be: i would in case NEED to fire commands from my.avast, as i cannot do so with sms. these specific phones (samsung with issue, htc without issue) are stuffed with a 2nd and 3rd sim of another 1st sim card inside a siemens C55 which i use for what i think a phone is for: phoning. i need those smartphones as computers and nothing else for work, but am glad that messaging does only work with one of three sims - for which i chose my crash, weather and age resistant and therefor beloved siemens C55. no short message ever will come any close to that samsung (issue) or that htc (working) due to that constellation - thus my antitheft would be useless in case.

please get that fixed soon OR give me another thing to try in case i missed any solutions in this thread.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 10:50:11 AM »
can you tell me more about your system?

Buford T. Justice

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »
What more do you need to know?

reinhardholzner

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 02:20:15 PM »
can you get me the device UIDs of the affected devices?
You find them by logging into your avast! Account, going to the device details screen and look at the link in your browser window:
https://my.avast.com/en-eu/#devices/view/--> HERE IS THE UID <--/info

What more do you need to know?

Buford T. Justice

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 11:24:11 PM »
You find them by logging into your avast! Account, going to the device details screen and look at the link in your browser window:
PM sent.

propcpal

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 10:11:51 PM »
Avast Support,

Isn't it obvious this is a wide spread problem ?

Troubleshooting 101:

Q. Do multiple users have the same problem on multiple devices ?
A. YES !

hmm, maybe the problem is ..let's see ..wait for it

..on the server side ?

Come on folks ..get with the program. This issue is clearly not resolved !

Anti-theft capability is at the heart of any security suite.

If this component is not functinoal, how can you call this "security software" ?

electrodraco

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2013, 07:28:34 PM »
I can confirm Alan41238584's statement. An android software update causes the web frontend to show anti-theft as uninstalled, everything else works fine.
My device is a HTC One X and the bug is highly reproducable. Every OTA-Update (now 3.20.401.1) ever installed caused this problem, reinstalling Anti-Theft solved it.
The device is also rooted but the unmodified stock-ROM is installed (OTA).

dasbooter

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2013, 10:15:28 PM »
Ditto on this whole event Nexus 4 here most valuable asset is anti-theft completely rendered useless. I feel for anybody who had the foresight to install this then count on it to retrieve there phone. I can just imagine the feeling when you logged in ... I was just comparing air droids find my phone feature and thought I would log in and found that it was saying that anti-theft was NOT installed,but it was.

I logged out my account on the phone and deleted the device than reconnected and refreshed my devices on avasts web page. Now if the thief of my phone will just kindly give me my phone back to do the same if there is a problem like this again lol

kiwi_kirsch

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2013, 11:42:06 PM »

i just sent you that number via PM. i'd be extremely, terribly grateful if you got that issue sorted out soon. i tried everything listed in this thread.

thank you =)

kiwi_kirsch

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2013, 11:57:31 PM »
oh. what might be intersting, too, is that the item's "security info" says "anti-theft is not installed" BUT the "notifications" tab says "4 days ago - The avast! Anti-Theft protection was enabled." (oh, and more often within pevious few weeks since discovery of this issue, everytime following the noticication "The avast! Anti-Theft protection was disabled.").

so, i can DEFINITELY not imagine how this should still be claimed to be a communication error. my phone successfully told your database it's properly installed and activated, your database understood this tale BUT STILL doesn't believe it, it seems.

if anyone else here in the thread who's been told it's an issue of the phone might check the notifications tab in your accounts, i'd be interested what you are being displayed THERE.

;)

ASako

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2013, 10:52:21 PM »
Hello, I'm the same, thoughts about a problem with the latest version of Anti-Theft personalized

reinhardholzner

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 01:54:06 PM »
hi, i can just re-iterate. I want to help you guys but I need a "hot, live" problem that i can see on the server (without the user in the meanwhile fixing it by reinstalling or something like that) and the UID of the device at holzner@avast.com.

UID:
You find them by logging into your avast! Account, going to the device details screen of the affected device and look at the link in your browser window: