Author Topic: Malware infected computer  (Read 8999 times)

Svengo42

Malware infected computer
« on: April 11, 2013, 09:40:05 PM »
Hello and thanks for the time to read and reply. My moms computer is infected with a "win32.downloader.gen malwareC" (according to spybot). Attempts to get rid of it via spybot and her norton have failed. I am assuming this is the issue and it causing her computer to freeze when I am trying to click on/open/use programs on her computer, slowing down her internet, etc. She uses windows vista and firefox. I am using my own personal computer to attempt to fix hers.

I have seen many threads on here where the help has been given and worked. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thank you.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Malware infected computer
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:43:36 PM »
spybot is waste of disk space

have you uploaded the detected file to www.virustotal.com and tested it with 40+ malware scanners
post link to scan result here

follow this guide and attach the requested logs....not copy and paste.  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

AdwCleaner
Malwarebytes
OTL
aswMBR

when done a removal expert will be notified and help you

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:46:07 PM by Pondus »

Svengo42

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 10:46:02 PM »
I am unsure of the virustotal website which you mentioned (how to use it I mean). Here are all the attached logs from my moms computer that I was given.
I hope I did this right...Let me know if i forgot any attachments. Thank you for your help.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 11:12:30 PM »
I am unsure of the virustotal website which you mentioned (how to use it I mean)
you click the "choose file" button on the website and browse your way to the file in the computer
it will then be uploaded and scanned

video.  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fIah2W4Opxk

malware removers are notified

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 11:14:32 PM »
your AdwCleaner log say search.....did you run it and click delete button to remove the crap files?

Svengo42

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 11:19:17 PM »
Yes, but I can do it again if you need a new document.

Svengo42

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »
Here is the file after the computer restarted.

Svengo42

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 01:22:51 AM »
Also, after running all the programs you told me to, the computer is still not allowing access to programs example: clicking on a hoyle card game shes played before makes the mouse turn into the circle thing like its loading then i have to force restart the computer via the power button.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 01:39:19 AM »
the removal expert will inspect your logs tomorrow for any infections, and create a fix if needed   ;)
they are usually here after work hours european time

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »
Hi could you screen print the spybot detection please so that I can see what it is finding

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:OTL
IE - HKU\S-1-5-21-2182276566-3117868703-1946683546-1000\..\SearchScopes\{EE26E25B-B797-466E-B32D-E9EF466AA2B6}: "URL" = http://search.conduit.com/ResultsExt.aspx?q={searchTerms}&SearchSource=4&ctid=CT3279141&CUI=UN10363365049717619

:Commands
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

Svengo42

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 05:15:06 PM »
I ran the fix but the program became unresponsive when i reached:
[emptytemp]
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]
[Reboot]

Rebooted and ran the quick scan (see attached) and spybot detected nothing (see attached)

I am heading to work now and will not be back on here until 830p est. I do appreciate all the help you are giving me and my mom in attempts to help resolve the issues. :D

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 05:22:29 PM »
OTL probably appeared unresponsive as at that stage it was emptying all your temporary files.. How is the computer now ?

Svengo42

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 04:22:56 AM »
It is still acting up. When she clicks to open a program, it will still do the load mouse thing when she clicks on a program and she told me that today her computer went to sleep and when she tried to 'wake it up' the screen stayed black and she had to manually turn it off.

The computer works fine in safe mode, but not in the regular mode. I dont know if that will help or not in solving this problem. And again, thank you very much for all of your help and guidance in this process.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 12:29:43 PM »
OK lets try the "safe mode " in normal windows and see if we can determine which driver is causing the problem

Next we will check for driver conflicts

Step 1: Start MSConfig

Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

Step 2: Configure Selective Startup options

1.In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.

2.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
Note The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.

3.Click the Services tab.

4.Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
5.Click Disable All, and then click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

Once back in windows does the problem still occur ?

Svengo42

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »
A quick question before I try this, it wont delete/get rid of any of her programs (like her family tree stuffs or games) right?