Author Topic: system32 infected?  (Read 10246 times)

lewymorry

system32 infected?
« on: April 12, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »
"Suspicious files have been detected (using a heuristic method). This may be a sign of malware infection." The path for the file is "C:\windows\system32\explorer.exe". I chose to ignore it because I didn't want to risk deleting anything important in regards to system32. I found a thread with this exact same problem but didnt resolve my problem so I would appreciate any help and steps to take to finding the cause of this and resolve it.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: system32 infected?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »
Are you experiencing any problems ?   Also are you using a theme or third party explorer ?

lewymorry

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »
At the moment I am experiencing a lot of problems. I think it is related to another issue regarding my drivers or something, but I use Google Chrome at the moment. I'm not sure what you mean by a theme either which I apologise for in advance.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »
OK lets have a look see..  Could you enumerate the problems that you are experiencing and follow the steps in this thread

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

lewymorry

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »
Well ok I experience huge huge crashes in cpu down to 0% most of the time, whereupon almost everything becomes unresponsive for long periods of time. I have blue screened twice with a KERNEL_INPAGE_ERROR, and I get an 'alink.dll csc.exe bad image' error when trying to run any form of driver update/cleaning/repair software including driver detective.

I will go ahead now and follow those steps in that thread and get back to you on that  :)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »
OK that is a dotnet framework error, we will look at that later 

lewymorry

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »
After much effort here are my results. Unfortunately I have been unable to obtain malwarebytes results because in both normal and safe mode, shortly after beginning the scan the system completely freezes and the screen goes blank and unresponsive. I have also attached an image of the same error of this topic which appeared during one of the scans. I again chose to ignore this error.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 07:44:17 PM »
Whilst I check the log out I would like you to run this programme

Download the latest version of TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

• Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application

• Then click on Change parameters.

• Check the boxes beside Verify Driver Digital Signature and Detect TDLFS file system, then click OK.

• Click the Start Scan button.

• If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

• If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results and offer three (3) options.
  • Ensure Cure is selected, then click Continue => Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.

• Get the report by selecting Reports

• Note: If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.
Please copy and paste its contents on your next reply.

lewymorry

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 07:55:31 PM »
Here are the results. No option to cure or skip as no malicious objects were found. Just a lot of suspicious objects where I clicked continue.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »
OK you do have rocket dock which may alter explorer

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:OTL
DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Unknown] -- -- (azzoqs76)
DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Unknown] -- -- (andq6y3w)
DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\Windows\system32\XDva351.sys -- (XDva351)
[2013/03/14 01:35:49 | 000,000,036 | ---- | M] ()(C:\Windows\System32\?U) -- C:\Windows\System32\?U
[2013/03/14 01:35:49 | 000,000,036 | ---- | C] ()(C:\Windows\System32\?U) -- C:\Windows\System32\?U

:Commands
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.
THEN

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:
Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

• When finished, it shall produce a log for you.
  • Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.[/b]
Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.

3.  If after the reboot you get errors about programmes being marked for deletion then reboot, that will cure it.

Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

lewymorry

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »
I was curious that the combofix was saying that certain System32 files were being deleted. Upon rebooting I was given a 'administrator: ComboFix' blue box that simply said 'Please Wait' After a while I got the log I have attached below.

Edit: Also my system still seems relatively unstable and unable to run a certain game I had no trouble running a few days ago.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 10:21:50 PM »
What programmes are not running ?  Also what instabilities are you experiencing ?

lewymorry

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 10:24:48 PM »
The Program is called League of Legends. It has been running fine until a day ago where it stopped working simultaneously with my computer. The instabilities I am suffering are a tiny amount of cpu%, and a lot of freezing and crashing in general which also started yesterday.

I'm very appreciative of the help too!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 10:28:24 PM »
Do the freezes and crashes occur randomly or when you run specific programmes ?

Have you tried a reinstall of League of Legends

lewymorry

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 10:31:56 PM »
The freezes happen randomly, and yes both a repair and re installation has been done for the game. I have submitted a ticket with their support  as I would like to finally get to the bottom of whether the game is causing system instability or there is some other cause behind it. Thanks again !