Author Topic: About standard shield  (Read 2587 times)

artamangr

About standard shield
« on: March 22, 2005, 03:37:02 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have a question about the standard shield settings. By default, in normal settings, created/modified files with specific extensions (default extension set) are scanned. Does that mean that the files are scanned only if their extension is one of those specified in the default extension set or if their content actually belongs to one of the file types defined there?
For example, if i download a file which is actually an executable but for some reason the extension is (let's say) .txt, will it be scanned when it is dowloaded?
I think that when doing a manual scan of the drives, using the quick scan mode only files with 'dangerous' extensions are scanned. When using the standard scan mode, all dangerous files based on content and not on extension are scanned.
So for the resident scanner, is the scan similar to quick scan mode or to standard scan mode?
Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: About standard shield
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 07:35:19 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong but I think that in Home version the 'content' analysis is not performed, so the Standard Shield will only scan the open/created/modified files with the specific extension defined.

Also, if you add archive files they're scanned 'as text' (binary text) and not as archive files themselves. This behavior (scan as archive file) is only present in Professional version.
The best things in life are free.