Author Topic: Avast Free Auto Renewed for 3 More Months -- Why/How?  (Read 20803 times)

Aventador

Re: Avast Free Auto Renewed for 3 More Months -- Why/How?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 02:53:07 AM »
Again your point is?

FastMiddle

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 03:10:32 AM »
His point is that, if avast expired, how come after 11 days the license gets renewed for more 30 extra days.

Aventador

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 03:19:21 AM »
Avast did not expire. His registration did. He is using the Avast FREE edition. He is also using two real time antivirus programs which is a mistake. Just cause one is disabled it is still there. Drivers and all. Still there is no purpose of his test or post except to spam the forum. Avast informed him that his subscription was expiring. The actually program does not expire. Just like if you bought Norton for 1 year. After 1 year your subscription to get updates expires but the program is still there. That is common sense.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:23:22 AM by Aventador »

FastMiddle

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 03:39:11 AM »
Yes I know, I was using  license/registration expiration and program expiration as synonyms.
According to his logs the real time shields stopped working after his license expired.
And yes, it is not recommended to have 2 AV programs because the drivers can conflict, even if the real time protection is disable. But the problem here is that, the extra 30 days shouldn't have happened, since it is not a documented thing. I think it is totally legitimate from him to ask what is going on.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:41:58 AM by FastMiddle »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 05:23:20 AM »
I see no point to this thread except for spamming attention.

::) ::) ::)

ManyQs

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 06:11:26 AM »
I apologize everyone that my English isn't quite up to par and some of you aren't understanding what happened.

Let me clear up a little misunderstanding, please.

MSE was not put into realtime status until Avast had expired.

I was/am thinking that when Avast is listed as expired it is no longer active, and that gap shown in the logs seems to back up/support that claim.

So I had MSE in an active mode (after Avast expired) and I had no warning that Avast is going to go active and that's when I am suddenly running two active anti-virus programs.

And to reiterate a related point, I did not activate Avast.

That can only mean that I was not responsible for two active anti-virus programs running at the same time on this unit.

Are there any questions about the timing of the events outlined above?

Thank you.

Oh yes, I should apologize if that explanation above comes across as a little sarcastic.  This whole mess hasn't set well with me and ...  Well, I'll leave it at that -- my apologies
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:15:47 AM by ManyQs »

ManyQs

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 06:25:43 AM »
I would now like to ask a question on a related matter, and posted above by a couple of you good folks.

Where exactly can be found the research/testing and published results that having an expired anti-virus program is going to interfere with an active anti-virus program?  Documentation, please, is what I am asking for on that testing.  Not opinion, thank you. 

EDITI have found an article that seems to indicate an inactive program is not a problem.  Seems, in addition, that we have two individuals stating this in the one article.  Well, Brandon Gregg is cited.
http://lifehacker.com/5898756/why-you-shoulder-consider-using-more-than-one-antivirus-app

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
And, if you don't mind, please stop accusing me of spamming and please cut with the "it's common sense" statements.  I'd ask you -- you know who you are -- I'd ask you to be more polite, but that just doesn't seem to be your style, so I'll be more specific with my requests.  Thank you.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:44:31 AM by ManyQs »

Aventador

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 09:30:37 AM »
You are directly responsible for your own pc. Before you installed Avast you should have uninstalled MSE. Disabling it is not enough cause it's drivers are still present. Again notice how no Avast employee has responded. Cause there is no point to your post. You let your subscription expire. After that you should have either registerd it or uninstalled it. The fact that you did nothing is directly your fault and no one else's. So when your gallon of milk has expired and you do nothing with it except leave it in the fridge. Two weeks later you drink it and spit it out cause it's horrible. Do you go back to the grocery store and blame them? No cause they did there job by having an expiration date on it. Just like Avast.

Thread closed. No further action needed.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 01:58:15 PM »
You are directly responsible for your own pc. Before you installed Avast you should have uninstalled MSE. Disabling it is not enough cause it's drivers are still present. Again notice how no Avast employee has responded. Cause there is no point to your post. You let your subscription expire. After that you should have either registerd it or uninstalled it. The fact that you did nothing is directly your fault and no one else's. So when your gallon of milk has expired and you do nothing with it except leave it in the fridge. Two weeks later you drink it and spit it out cause it's horrible. Do you go back to the grocery store and blame them? No cause they did there job by having an expiration date on it. Just like Avast.

Thread closed. No further action needed.

Before I found out one shouldn't have two AV programs installed on a computer I had both Avast and MSE.  Didn't really have any problems with my PC but I did uninstall MSE.

"Thread closed.  No further action needed?"  Wow!

ManyQs

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »
Okey-dokey, I've got a little problem and need to backtrack a bit here.

Some of the local folks around me here that have been keeping abreast of this affair have pointed out to me that I made a mistake earlier.

They are stating that while my idea might be correct that the volunteer staff probably would not know the how or why of what happened, they certainly should be able to answer in another area that is also of importance.

They point out that the volunteer staff should, and probably do, know the documentation inside and out like nobody else on the site, so I should be addressing some questions to them.

I agree.  I made a mistake.

So I have two questions, please.

*1* Does the Avast product documentation explicitly advise a customer to uninstall an expired product, if the customer does not intend to reactivate the product?

*2* Does the Avast product documentation explicitly warn customers that even an inactive anti-virus product installed on a computer containing an active Avast anti-virus product is a danger?

Thank you.

Aventador

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
Basic pc knowledge my friend. If you are asking this of Avast then you might wanna go ahead and ask Symantec, Kaspersky, Avira, Panda and McAfee the same question. When ANY type of software is expired and you know longer want to use it then it is soully up to you to remove it. Why keep it if you no longer wish to use it. Just like downloading a 30 day trial. After the 30 days expire either you pay for it or uninstall it. If something has expired it is up to you to remove it. Plan as day. Clear as day.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:27:35 PM by Aventador »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 06:43:17 PM »

ManyQs

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 06:51:15 PM »
Thank you, craigb.  That relates to Q2.

Any idea about Q1?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 07:11:22 PM »
I believe it covers all questions asked if not as descriptive as you would like it.

Even if a product has expired or been disabled it should still be removed from the system, there will still be low level drivers that can interfere.

Another question which should be asked to you is why in the world would you want to keep an expired AV anyway ??? it's useless, best off removed as it's not worth the risk.

ManyQs

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 07:43:05 PM »
I figured somebody was going to ask that question, eventually.

I think you will recall that I stated last year I had to leave Avast.  No need to go back into why.  So I have allowed the licenses to expire on the other units one-by-one and on the Epson I noticed there was a kind of survey about why I was leaving or something like that and I thought that was fair enough and was going from page to page of the questions and then hit one page after stating on the previous that I would get another product and that next page asked me how much I was going to pay -- multiple choice, if I remember correctly.  At that time I thought that was a bit intrusive and just closed the survey.  Then we got to talking about it here and one of my folks said I should have been doing screenshots and gone ahead and finished it, so I was planning on doing just that with this Dell, but never had the time.  Then presto, come back from dinner one day, fire up the computer to go back to work and see I have a reactivated product.  Heck, it had only been about 10 or 11 days since it had expired.  Can't be that is too long.  Anyway, that answers your question, I think.

Now, about question one, I understand you are stating the answer is on that same page you provided the link for, yes?

And if you read that page very carefully it explicitly states that running two anti-virus programs at the same time is what is bad, and the reason given for uninstalling a third-party anti-virus program is to enable Avast to properly install.  That page does not specifically address the issue of if being a danger for one product to be inactive while Avast is active.  At least, I didn't see it.  Of course, we're going to pick that wording apart, but I didn't see it and there's not a lot to read.

Anyway, I do appreciate that you provided the link to that page.  I haven't had as much time as I would've liked to study and search for pages like that.  If you think of anything else, don't hesitate to let me know, please.  But I wish to repeat that I am looking for specifics -- black and white -- clearly spelled out warnings and such.  That's the way this business works.  A company has to properly document certain things and this is an area where it is necessary.  But they know that.  Those lawyer folks gets tonnes of money to get it right and to see around corners.

But we still need to find out why this happened.

And there is another really big problem.  It's lucky I'm not so ... well, I don't know the right vocabulary, but I don't wish to cause problems for Avast.  But you see, Avast reactivated the product, but did not ask me to sign a new ToS or User Agreement.  The original one was for the license for one year and the view around here is that when that product expired that ended that agreement.  Company law departments are usually very, very careful about such things.  I'd say they missed this time.

But as long as the tech people clearly understand why and how this happened I don't mind signing the same agreement as before.  You see the reason for the why and how?  It's rather important for me and the company.  I want to know this isn't some freak accident that may cause me problems and Avast probably would like me to sign that new agreement.

This is a lot more complicated than I suspect some folks at first realized, but lessons can be learned, and everything can be figured out, I'm sure.  Just need some answers, that's all.  A little checking here.  A little checking there.  And everyone will go home happy.  And you're helping.  Again, thank you.

EDITING was for all the stupid spelling mistakes, that's all.  Not substantive context changing.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 07:49:23 PM by ManyQs »