Author Topic: question about firewall- "unavailable in free"  (Read 16801 times)

Aventador

Re: question about firewall- "unavailable in free"
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 03:21:03 PM »
The only reason you use public network is cause there is no password in the WiFi. Your sharing it with all others in the area such as a coffee shop. When your at home connected to a router with a password the only pc's connected to that network our ones in your home. Hence "Home".

Arnold72

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 06:33:54 PM »
Nonsense.

boyd jackson

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 03:13:07 AM »
I realize this is avast! and not Malware Anti-virus, but why did a message say "Successfully blocked access to a potentially malicious website?" while I was submitting a review to amazon? 

Aventador

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 04:31:40 AM »
I realize this is avast! and not Malware Anti-virus, but why did a message say "Successfully blocked access to a potentially malicious website?" while I was submitting a review to amazon?

What is "malware anti-virus"? Did Avast give you that alert?

ManFromOz

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 04:51:38 AM »
Nonsense.

Argue that with Microsoft then.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/choosing-a-network-location

Note:

-   If you know you won’t need to share files or printers, the safest choice is public network.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:35:52 AM by ManFromOz »

boyd jackson

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »
I meant Malwarebytes Anti-malware, and they just sent me another one of those messages while I was on amazon submitting comments to a friend.  I don't think avast! has control over this portion of my Windows 7 and it's entirely a Malwarebytes Anti-malware thing, but I could be wrong.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 08:45:48 AM »
this may explain why you see those popups from Malwarebytes

Oh, the Sites You Will Never See
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/development/2013/05/oh-the-sites-you-will-never-see/

Aventador

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »
I meant Malwarebytes Anti-malware, and they just sent me another one of those messages while I was on amazon submitting comments to a friend.  I don't think avast! has control over this portion of my Windows 7 and it's entirely a Malwarebytes Anti-malware thing, but I could be wrong.

Your using MalwareBytesAntiMalware Pro which has IP blocking.

boyd jackson

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 06:09:02 PM »
Oh, okay.  That link provided all the information I was looking for (and then some).  Amazon is probably the site I frequent the most, so it's incredibly important that I have no problems whatsoever with that site.  One more quick question. 

I was on facebook and suddenly after 45 minutes, a message appeared that said my account had been suspended and I had to do a question and answer thing that involved identifying my friends by way of pictures.  A picture of one of my friends would appear on screen and the multiple choice question asked "Who is this person?"  It was VERY bizarre.  When I finally got back on (after being forced to provide a new password) one of my friends is convinced I was hacked.  It makes me think avast! or Malwarebytes missed something criticial and that someone was trying to break into my account and retrieve personal information.  Any idea what happened?  I've been using facebook for 4 years without a single issue.

Aventador

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »
Facebook has increased there security 20 fold. Your Facebook was not hacked. What you saw was normal behavior. I did that about 6 months ago. Be happy that Facebook is looking out for you. You should also lock down your Facebook settings and have a code generated anytime a log in form a different pc is used. Your friend who said your Facebook was hacked in incorrect. You should also change your password about every 6 months. MalwareBytes and Avast along with every other security out there does not scan your Facebook wall. There are certain apps the you can add to Facebook such as Safego.

boyd jackson

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »
Okay, you just made me feel a LOT better, thank you.  By the way if I haven't mentioned it, I only ever use one computer- my Windows 7 here at home.  I don't have a laptop, and I don't use computers anywhere else.  That's probably why I'm so protective of my computer.  I keep all paperwork in one nice and organized little pile beside me. :)

Aventador

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2013, 07:46:22 AM »
Ok so then your not wirelessly connected I take it. You plugged an ethernet cable into the back of your pc. Are you connected via a modem and a router or a gateway? How are you connected to the internet?

Diddy

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
HI boyd jackson one of the things I was going to suggest is that if you are still concerned that you might still have Malware on your windows 7 computer I would go to the virus and worms forum and go and click on the thread how to clean maware and attach the logs to your current thread and get a malware expert to check to see if you still have malware still on your computer at all.
Here is the link to get and run the logs for the scans and post them in your reply when you come to your current thread.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

the logs that the malware expert will need are:
adwcleaner
malwarebytes anti-mare
oTL by old timer
aswMBR.exe

download and run scans with these prgrams and then just put the logs in your current thread then a malware expert will be notified and check over the logs for malware.  all of the instructions are in the current link above.

Thanks.