Author Topic: Windows Security Center claims avast! is turned off, but it appears functional?  (Read 23519 times)

MikeSab7

G'day, I'll attempt to make this as painless as possible. I only ask that replies be provided in clear, easy-to-understand instructions, and I'm practically begging all replies not to direct me to other forum-posts. I've searched the forum to an extent, and discovered no viable replies, yet. Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my second time asking this, and I'm desperately in-search of assistance. I've experienced the same issue, below, for several days now. Though, my computer appears to be functioning normally, otherwise.

Computer Information: Dell Inspiron 530, 2.00 GB RAM, 32-bit operating system
Operating System: Windows Vista (Basic)

Today, when I booted my computer, I received a Windows pop-up on the taskbar alerting me that my antivirus was deactivated/turned off. Avast! seemed to be loading rather normally, and when I clicked the notification, which appeared as a red shield with a white "x", the Windows Security Center, under Malware Protection, read this: "avast! Antivirus reports that it has been turned off." At first, I thought to simply re-activate it, but the problem is it appeared already operational. Also, when I attempt to re-activate avast! by clicking "Turn on now", nothing happens, whatsoever.

I waited for approximately ten minutes, after exiting the warning on the taskbar, and re-checked Windows Security Center. It still claims "avast! Antivirus reports that it has been turned off.", even though Avast! is fully operational when I open the interface from the taskbar.

Any advice/solutions on this issue? I'm open to all suggestions, but please make all replies relatively simple-to-follow, as my technical terminology leaves a bit to be desired. Also, does this pose a potential threat to my system?

I appreciate any and all legitimate replies. God bless all, be it His will, and be safe.

Additional Note: I've included a screenshot of the Windows Security Center dialogue box. Remember, this is what I see, even though Avast! appears to be operational, as I can open the interface and click through available options, etc. I haven't attempted scanning, or anything of the sort, yet. Avast! seems to be functioning normally.

Screenshot:

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
try this....

ad/remove programs > avast > uninstall > avast > repair option....wait a minute and reboot

any change?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
It isn't uncommon for these issues with the WSC reporting avast not running when avast is actually running. This issue with the WSC (usually corruption of the WMI) has been going on for several windows generations.

Win7 - see windows Fix It - http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_security_diagnostic/.

- OR
* Click Start, Run and type CMD.EXE

* Type this command and press Enter:

net stop wscsvc
net stop winmgmt

* Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad.). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.

* Switch to Command Prompt window, and type the following and press ENTER after each line:

net start winmgmt
net start wscsvc

EXIT
Reboot

If they don't resolve it, the avast repair as suggested might, though it may take a reinstall to force the WSC to add the entry to its data.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GJChurchward

I've been getting the same behaviour over the last few days.  Interestingly, at the same time (1) Chrome has ceased to be my default browser (I've begun to use Sketchup, and the online help system opens in Firefox instead), and (2) when I open Chrome, the first page I see is Delta Search.  I went into Chrome's Settings page, and it says that Chrome IS the default browser, and that on startup, I should get the New Tab page.  Curious.  I removed Delta Search from my registered search engines, but it still comes up as the first page in my browsing session.  OK, I got Avast to run a full scan.  It told me there were threats, and I couldn't see any reason for keeping the files it thought were suspicious, so I deleted those and rebooted.  It hasn't changed anything - WSC still reports Avast as turned off (and as the OP reported, trying to turn it on again does nothing), and I still get Delta Search as my startup page.

darimini

None of these suggestions worked for me.  The cmd.exe commands didn't work, either.  I received the error message: "System Error 5 has occurred. Access is denied."  The Windows Fixit didn't work, either.

Any advice on how to get the command prompt to work?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I don't know if you might need to run the cmd.exe file as the administrator, so find the file cmd.exe and right click on it and select run as administrator.

You could of course try reinstalling avast and see if that jump starts the windows action centre.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

darimini

That was the problem!  Thanks!  So far, Windows doesn't seem to be complaining, but I'll give it a little while before I get too excited.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.

darimini

Nope, didn't work; Windows still wants me to "turn Avast on."  :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You may need to reinstall avast to try and jump start the WSC/WAC into action.

Of course you can stop the WSC/WAC from monitoring your AV, but that could leave you vulnerable it it was truly switched off/not running.

Offline SpockFan94

Do I really need to repair it and reboot my computer to see the green dots in Security Center again before the red shield with the letter x icon doesn't pop on the computer screen? Does this suppose to happen?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Lets put it this way, don't do anything and nothing changes. The problem lies with the Security Center and WMI, but the idea of a repair and reboot is to jump start the WMI and subsequently the Security Center.

You can also try what was posted in my Reply #2, but for many that is a bit daunting, hence the other options.

If that doesn't work you may even need to reinstall avast.