Author Topic: ZoneAlarm......final answer  (Read 12672 times)

cartel

ZoneAlarm......final answer
« on: May 04, 2005, 10:20:57 AM »
?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 05:34:25 AM by Cartel »

anvil

Re: ZoneAlarm......final answer
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 11:05:01 AM »
Could someone please post some screenshots of zonealarm's program control with the avast related programs set properly, please.

Great! This is also what I want to know! And also, why does !Avast report an incompatibility issue with ZA, and ask me to disable a feature of ZA? Sounds suspicious...

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 11:36:23 AM »
The only features on ZA that need reducing are cookie control and ad blocking both set to medium.  If I knew how to get screen shots I would gladly do it.  The privacy controls on ZA do not actually do much if you have XPSP2 and or FF 1.03.  The question asked at Avast launch is to reduce webshield scanning so that it does not conflict with ZA.  Personally I used RejZor's AEC to put webshield back to full strength and turn off ZA privacy controls. Works perfect for me.  Also the problem only affects ZAPro not (as far as I know) the free version.. 

anvil

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 12:04:17 PM »
The only features on ZA that need reducing are cookie control and ad blocking both set to medium.  If I knew how to get screen shots I would gladly do it.  The privacy controls on ZA do not actually do much if you have XPSP2 and or FF 1.03.  The question asked at Avast launch is to reduce webshield scanning so that it does not conflict with ZA.  Personally I used RejZor's AEC to put webshield back to full strength and turn off ZA privacy controls. Works perfect for me.  Also the problem only affects ZAPro not (as far as I know) the free version.. 
I think it is the settings under 'Programme Control' in ZA. (Access, Server, Email =allow, block, ask) that are being asked for. I'm not sure I understand about RejZor's AEC??? What do you mean? Yes, I have ZAPro.
Cheers
Anvil

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 12:32:33 PM »
The actual firewall controls - internet and Trusted are set at High. The Privacy - main tab has ad blocking and cookie control off. Allow all Avast services to connect to the internet and trusted, additionally allow webscanner full server access (there should be 5 entries under programme control) Allow avast mail scanner mail access

AEC from here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=3021.0

EDIT not a picture but allow( as taken from my programme tab):
File name           D:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\setup\avast.setup

File name           D:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

File name           D:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (allow email rights)

File name           D:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

File name           D:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (allow server rights)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 12:40:24 PM by essexboy »

cartel

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 03:13:27 AM »
?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 05:35:04 AM by Cartel »

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 09:59:52 AM »
Ok Cartel here are my ZA settings I hope it is of some help

they seem to work well for me??

Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

cartel

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 12:20:47 PM »
?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 05:35:28 AM by Cartel »

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 01:01:07 PM »
Cartel

as far as I know this is all that is required for Avast to run via ZA

ashServ.exe = Virus Scanner

ashMaiSv.exe = Mail Scanner

ashwebsv.exe= Web Scanner

the fourth as far as I know is the update service as per graphic

What is RPCSS ???
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 01:20:47 PM »
Here Cartel you can use a program like this for your screen caps

Best of all FREE

PS use the (modify) feature to ajust your screen capture
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 01:24:23 PM by P3t3rb0nn »

hetzer

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 08:26:38 PM »
I have my Zonealarm Pro Internet and Trusted zones set to high EXCEPT when using my home LAN (3 PCs:- a P1, a PIII and a PIV interconnected through a Netgear Ethernet Router).

As my internet connection is with Telewest and uses a cable modem & the same ethernet & Router as the LAN, the Firewall Zones section has the individual LAN workstations added and put into the trusted zone. To browse files etc I have to change the Zonealarm Pro TRUSTED zone to MEDIUM and no problems!

As far as the cookie controls etc I have never used Zonealarm Pro for this as I prefer to use Firefox or Mozilla which can block individual sites cookies, and also blocks pop-ups, scripts etc etc. So the ZA pro PRIVACY stuff is all set to OFF and no blues with Avast and its web component!!

cartel

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 02:28:25 AM »
?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 05:35:43 AM by Cartel »

rygle

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 03:22:37 AM »
Screenshots can be done easily by pressing the "Prt Scr" button next to the Scroll Lock button and above the Insert button. Then go to your favourite graphics program (check out www.gimp.org for a good free one) and then paste the screen shot into a new document.

In Microsoft's Photo Editor (comes with Office), you just go to file and select "Paste as New Image", or in Gimp you go to the file menu and select "Acquire" and then "From Clipboard". I think in Photoshop you have to open a new document, which will automatically suggest the dimensions of the image in the clipboard, then go to the edit menu and select "Paste Into" or something like that.

To save the document, the best results will come from cropping the image to show only the relevant details, then saving the image as a jpeg with fairly high compression (GImp or Photoshop do the best job here - Microsoft Photo Editor is awful at compressing). Reducing the resolution and using low compression isn't as good as leaving the resolution high and using high compression.

Rygle.

cartel

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 05:36:36 AM »
Please delete this string.......still no settings

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2005, 04:17:43 PM »
Ok I think I might have a picture now I hope

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/m.k.n@btinternet.com/detail?.dir=ba9c&.dnm=f499.jpg&.src=ph

If someone could check it out and let me know

Just tried to upload an attachment but it was tooooooooo big
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 04:47:32 PM by essexboy »