Author Topic: Y-Axis ps/2 usb mouse freezes MOUCLASS.SYS & MOUHID.SYS NOT SIGNED  (Read 50493 times)

CAS159

Re: Y-Axis ps/2 usb mouse freezes MOUCLASS.SYS & MOUHID.SYS NOT SIGNED
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »
I tried MS update and it failed.  I attached the error message as a JPG image.  Also my Mouse Y-axis was lost twice while I tried to find the update file.  I unplugged and re-plugged the dual USB ps/2 keyboard mouse adaptor about five times.  I have the attachment for the message but I thought that this update installed for Internet Explorer 8 last week and four Security Updates failed to update.  I copied the updates descriptions and attached them here.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 02:23:14 PM »
There has been a problem with several of the latest windows updates.  The only work round that succeeded for me was to install them in the clean boot mode.  This is a known problem

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility

1.Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
2.The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

Step 2: Configure selective startup options

1.In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
2.Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
3.Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
4.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.

5.Click the Services tab.

6.Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
7.Click Disable All, and then click OK.
8.When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Step 3: Log on to Windows

1.If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
2.When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

Notes?
You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.
?The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.
?Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

Step 4 : Install windows updates

Once done then restore a normal boot by reversing the previous steps

CAS159

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 07:22:23 PM »
Good morning.  I just woke up.  I'll have to print this one out and save my bookmarks.  The step, "Step 4 : Install windows updates
               Once done then restore a normal boot by reversing the previous steps"
looks like :
System Configuration Utility>General>Normal Startup
System Configuration Utility>Services>uncheck Hide all Microsoft Services and or Enable All

I'll await your confirmation to proceed, finish waking up, and grab some toast and juice.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 07:25:20 PM »
That's it, enable all :)

CAS159

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 08:42:15 PM »
Under Services "Windows Cardspace" is the only match I have with your screen instruction.
However, I assume my system is different therefore all I should be concerned with is to check the your red marked areas.  How should I proceed?

CAS159

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 08:54:12 PM »
Strange that "Pml Driver HPZ12   HP" is still running since I uninstalled the HP software this summer when I got my Cannon Printer.  I recycled the HP printer at a Staples store last June.

CAS159

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »
Update failed.  Same message as before. I did "Normal Startup" under "General" and
"Enable All" under "Services".  The "Pml Driver HPZ12   HP" I thought is probably HP being persistent or some process taking advantage of that persistence.  Without facts I don't know that.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 10:58:14 PM »
It would really help if windows gave an error code

OK download the standalone version from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=40069 to your desktop and install from there.  Let me know the result and any error code it may present

CAS159

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 02:05:42 AM »
This is the last message for KB2870699.  There was another before it but it flashed so fast I didn't see enough of it. I tried running the update fix before.  After KB2870699 I also ran IE8 help>About>IE8 System Summary.  Next I ran WindowsXP-KB2876315-x86-ENU.exe for an error.
I had tried before I went to Avast Forum to fix the update problem at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798 named "You cannot install some updates or programs" and tried:
Manual methods
Method 1: Set Cryptographic Services to automatic
Method 2: Rename the Catroot2 folder
Method 3: Reregister the DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services
Method 4: Remove the hidden attribute from %Windir% and from its subfolders
Method 5: Set non-driver signing policy to silently succeed
Method 6: Rename the Edb.log file
Method 9: Clear the temporary file and restart the hotfix installation or the service pack installation
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:23:44 AM by CAS159 »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 04:14:32 PM »
Hmm that makes me think that IE did not install properly

Could you go to control panel > add/remove and uninstall IE8 and IE7  this will bring you back to IE6
Once done re-install IE8 and try the update again

CAS159

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 10:17:23 PM »
Today I uninstalled Java Update 7.  The removal failed first under "Add Remove Programs" with an error message.  Then I tried removing it with CCleaner and it failed 3 or 4 times with Comadore Firewall giving me a message that MSI2E.tmp from C:\windows\installer wanted access to programs outside of Jave, which I blocked.  I turned off System Restore on both C and E internal drives and I had already turned off my external USB F drive which was off until MSI2E.tmp tried to access it. CCleaner would cancel so I pushed the restart button and went into safe mode and deleted the file.  Java Update 7 still showed in Safe Mode Add Remove Programs so I clicked to Uninstall it and the error message said the Installer was missing.
Then I uninstalled a program which I don't use and the program uninstalled without error.
I just tried an update now and I got the same message.  I will now uninstall IE as per you instructions in 2 hours if I do not hear back.

CAS159

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 10:48:32 PM »
IE8 Uninstall failed under Add Remove Programs. I got two messages.  The first one on the top of IE8 in Add Remove Programs and I copied the second message on the bottom of the Snagit Capture of the first screen.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 10:51:30 PM »
OK narrowing it down to a corrupt IE8 install

Could you try an over the top install with a fresh copy of IE8

CAS159

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »
Yes. I will do it right now.

CAS159

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 12:39:35 AM »
I downloaded IE8, IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, on http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=43 which recommended three other files.  I running the security update now, Windows-KB890830-V5.4.exe,, which is a Malicious Software Removal Tool.  I had failed on my first attempt to install IE8 so I uninstalled and re-installed.  I also downloaded IE8-WindowsXP-KB2618444-x86-ENU.exe and FileFormatConverters.exe recommeded my MS with the IE8.