Author Topic: system tray icons?  (Read 16085 times)

artistichaos

system tray icons?
« on: May 18, 2005, 08:15:53 PM »
I installed Avast Home 4.6 last nite...I have used Avast before and I know that there are normally two icons in the sys tray and when it updates virus def. it pops up a window and talks..etc. My windows manager (under processes) says "ashweb and ashmaisv" is running, but they are not in my tray...so, not knowing if they are running correctly....

I need some tech help with this.

Hopismum

Re: system tray icons?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 08:25:16 PM »
I installed Avast Home 4.6 last nite...I have used Avast before and I know that there are normally two icons in the sys tray and when it updates virus def. it pops up a window and talks..etc. My windows manager (under processes) says "ashweb and ashmaisv" is running, but they are not in my tray...so, not knowing if they are running correctly....

I need some tech help with this.

try this:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13236.0

it appears RejZor has deleted the link for the download for the fix..   but you can try this:

Create shortcut to ashDisp.exe and place it into Start\Programs\Startup
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 08:29:29 PM by connie »

artistichaos

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 08:30:56 PM »
the dload for the fix has been removed!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 08:33:18 PM »
The Web Shield  "ashweb.exe" shows its activity by spinning the avast 'a' icon on the system tray, so there is no extra icon on the system tray.

The Internet Mail scanner  "ashmaisv.exe" only displays an icon on the system tray when it is actually scanning email, then it disappears.

You should only have the avast 'a' icon and the 'i' VRDB icon (if you haven't merged them) on the system tray all the time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hopismum

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 08:41:25 PM »
Actually I should have asked you if the icons are actually missing?      If they are...   i.e.  you do NOT have either the 'a' or 'i' icon in the tray then try doing a repair:

Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the pop up window (Repair)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 08:48:58 PM »
I didn't ask either, just made an assumption that the 'a' icon was there based on the fact 'artistichaos' seemed to be talking about {"ashweb and ashmaisv" is running, but they are not in my tray...so, }. Best not to make assumptions I guess ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hopismum

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 08:53:54 PM »
yeah best not to and I did as well  lol    :)   (your post made me realize that)  lol

artistichaos

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 09:07:48 PM »
Yes, they are actually missing. There isn't any kind of Avast icon in my sys tray. Like I said, I have used Avast before...

I'll try that repair...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 09:42:32 PM »
Yes, they are actually missing. There isn't any kind of Avast icon in my sys tray. Like I said, I have used Avast before...

I'll try that repair...

To fix the problem, just add the path to ashDisp.exe into
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
(as the value named avast!).

Are you by any chance using spysweeper?
If so, use the restore/recover or whatever it may be called to restore the deleted registry entry and update your definitions file for spysweeper. It reports incorrectly (false positive) the avast ashDisp.exe which is the icon you see on your system tray.

Please, don't post twice the same problem (here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13236.0)
The best things in life are free.

pjo

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 01:26:53 PM »
Hello !
I am running Avast Home with Zone Alarm and the icon for VRDB is not in the system tray.
I tried the Avast External Control and the reg setting but none of them worked.  Running Windows XP SP2.
Is there any cure to this problem ?

Thanks in advance.

pjo  :)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 01:31:28 PM »
Right click on the avast! ball and select VRDB. Does it give you the option to slit into two icons?
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

pjo

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 01:43:33 PM »
Right click on the avast! ball and select VRDB. Does it give you the option to slit into two icons?

thanks for your quick reply but unfortunately right clicking does not show the split.

Monkey Freak

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 01:33:01 PM »
euh, ok, i'm sort of a computer noob with the same tray problems. and i don't understand the part with the register, i can find the path but how i can add someting? please tell it like you ecplain it to a small child  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 02:28:13 PM »
Monkey Freak, won't it be easier if you repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

Monkey Freak

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 07:21:53 PM »
ok, i repaired with the fix tool, then i did the reapiar option too, everyting fine......
but if avast updates himself the trayicon each time disappears!

i really haven't found any solution to this!