Author Topic: Avast 2014.9.0.2006 problems with windows 7 32bits  (Read 5932 times)

wchris

Avast 2014.9.0.2006 problems with windows 7 32bits
« on: October 22, 2013, 02:22:17 PM »
First used the autoupdate from avast 8, then uninstall/reinstall same problem reappears.

First install goes well and icon is in system tray, it seems to work ok a while until you start windows and avast icon does not show up in tray.
AvastUi is running but no way to display the interface.

from that point when I shutdown the machine windows is locked up by avast at "closing session" message, and I have to cut of power.

After uninstalling avast shutdown lockup disapears.

Tryed to download an avast 8 setup to rollback ... but no way it installs avast 9 !

After so many years I'll have to drop avast :(, please allow reinstalling avast 8.

PS: - please don't say it works with your machine, I don't care. Avast also always worked great on my machine, until this release.
- I already tryed aswclear.exe to uninstall avast 8, and reinstall 9, not better. Also at first the install seam ok, problem appears after a fews reboots when avastUI icon disapears not immediatelly.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:31:19 PM by wchris »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 2014.9.0.2006 problems with windows 7 32bits
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
any other security programs installed?

is all previous used AV fully removed?    http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle

wchris

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 02:28:21 PM »
no only avast, never had another antivirus, it was always avast for years on this machine.

I downloaded latest avast 8 from here http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

but it still installed avast 9. How can I workaround it and install avast 8 to revert to a stable configuration ? Thanks
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:34:35 PM by wchris »

wchris

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 05:22:12 PM »
I have found the reason for the lockup

But it's very strange

it's a little program I wrote many years ago (a calculator with no disk access), that gets analyzed by "deep screen"

I could clearly see "deep screen" killing it without a message and then the exe that was 1412kb in memory stays in memory with 52kb. This 52kb "zombiefied by deep screen" cannot be killed by the task manager.  After that I get a lockup on shutdown because the task is unkillable.

What's strange ... is I just tryed to reproduce it for this mail ... and "deep screen" scanned it and this time said "everything ok" and I have no zombie, the app is working and closing well. Also the UI is now back ... So I would not be surprised if "deep screen" kill his own UI and thats why sometimes there's no Ui (my best guess).

wchris

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 07:35:49 AM »
Today I started my machine and again the avast icon did not show.

Then I had the idea to try something, I closed the session, just the session not restart, and reopened the same session, then the icon appeared and the menu is useable I can open avast UI.

This proves there's nothing wrong in my machine configuration, the configuration did not change, Avast just randomly behaves like that, sometimes you get the tray icon, sometimes not.

Maybe I'll be able to use avast 9 after all, closing/reopening just session is acceptable for now as a workaround, but please look at the issues :

- why deep screen sometimes accepts an app and sometimes not, and why when the app gets killed zombies are left
- why sometimes the tray icon does not show and closing/reopening session on same machine may help make it show up
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:41:15 AM by wchris »

drummerman

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »
I have found the reason for the lockup

But it's very strange

it's a little program I wrote many years ago (a calculator with no disk access), that gets analyzed by "deep screen"

I could clearly see "deep screen" killing it without a message and then the exe that was 1412kb in memory stays in memory with 52kb. This 52kb "zombiefied by deep screen" cannot be killed by the task manager.  After that I get a lockup on shutdown because the task is unkillable.

What's strange ... is I just tryed to reproduce it for this mail ... and "deep screen" scanned it and this time said "everything ok" and I have no zombie, the app is working and closing well. Also the UI is now back ... So I would not be surprised if "deep screen" kill his own UI and thats why sometimes there's no Ui (my best guess).

No, that's not the problem.

Several others here experienced the same intermittent issue. Sometimes the program loads properly ie. the icon is in the taskbar, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, no access to the programmes facilities is possible.

regards
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:42:47 AM by drummerman »

wchris

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 09:20:55 AM »
Hi drummer,

I have 2 issues in this thread (maybe I should not have mixed them, but well, it's done)

1) apps not killed correctly by "deep screen" preventing shutdown
2) tray icon randowmly not appearing

yes, the two problems are not liked (except by the fact that I have both  ;) )

Regards

wchris

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 05:22:18 PM »
more feedback on the icon UI issue (problem 2).

Checking "wait for system services launch before avast startup" does not solve the issue, icon still not in system tray at startup.

but closing/reopening session does the trick, until next reboot.

Cheers