Author Topic: WHY was AVAST IS 2014 not tested before being Released ?  (Read 7137 times)

PhantomTech

WHY was AVAST IS 2014 not tested before being Released ?
« on: October 24, 2013, 06:15:50 PM »

I have bought AVAST and installed it on many many of MY machines and those of Family and Friends.
I have purchased about 40 IS Licenses and have put at least that many Free versions on others.

Not only am I Highly Upset, BUT I have numerous people COMPLAINING to ME about the Problems!

One customer had me REMOVE it and am concerned that HE won't let me find a fix and I will have to return his money.
Three computers - (Lost Customer - THANKS for Enhancing my Reputation)

TRY testing it before your release it PLEASE ! ! ! !
PT

doktornotor

Re: WHY was AVAST IS 2014 not tested before being Released ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 06:17:06 PM »

Why are you asking totally ridiculous questions? Read the beta forum before posting similar BS.

P.S. In a similar fashion, asked M$ yet why was not W8.1 tested before being released, even on their own HW?  ::)

PhantomTech

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 06:35:43 PM »
I didn't know it was a BETA version and neither did my customers.
It simply said there was an UPGRADE and they installed it as did I.
Where do I get the LAST Latest Version BEFORE the BETA one?

PT

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 06:37:49 PM »
I didn't know it was a BETA version and neither did my customers.

Excellent... Great opportunity to post a rant about lack of testing, I guess.

It simply said there was an UPGRADE and they installed it as did I.

Why have not you tested before upgrading?  ;D

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 06:47:10 PM »
First fact is that this was by far the longest BETA test. Second fact is, with 200 million users, it's impossible to make a software where no one sould have a problem. Do you know how many different configurations is this?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Rohugh

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 07:14:32 PM »
Part of a relevant post from an avast! team member -

We had 2 months of beta testing phase. We had around 100.000 users who join this program. We fixed all critical and important issue which were found and reported. However even with all the effort there will be issues left. If you would be more specific we can fix some of them

Offline Sirwobbles

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »
Never bother posting facts in this forum phantomtech.  You'll simply get jumped on by the PR monkeys with evangelist behind their names.

You are correct that this "upgrade" shows up as a popup as a new version with no mention of Beta being mentioned at all.  Getting my local network back up and running after installing this disaster of an update was a major pain and like you will get to enjoy fixing it for those I've talked into installing much better versions of Avast in the past.  I wish I had some solutions for you but I don't.  I'm simply looking for an alternative until if/when they finish correcting the problems.

As for our glorious evangelists, Take your cute remarks to facebook, we're trying to fix our systems from your masters pre-release quality software or until we start considering searching for more quality ones elsewhere.

Cue the evangelists non helpful insults now.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »
Never bother posting facts in this forum phantomtech.  You'll simply get jumped on by the PR monkeys with evangelist behind their names.

You are correct that this "upgrade" shows up as a popup as a new version with no mention of Beta being mentioned at all.  Getting my local network back up and running after installing this disaster of an update was a major pain and like you will get to enjoy fixing it for those I've talked into installing much better versions of Avast in the past.  I wish I had some solutions for you but I don't.  I'm simply looking for an alternative until if/when they finish correcting the problems.

As for our glorious evangelists, Take your cute remarks to facebook, we're trying to fix our systems from your masters pre-release quality software or until we start considering searching for more quality ones elsewhere.

đ

Sure, apparently you know more than we do and you have MORE facts than we do. Which are what again? Bunch of lame insults. If you're so bloody smart, you should know that with 200 million users, there will always be problems, even if some software is in beta test for half a year. I didn't have any issues on 3 very different systems, one very old laptop, one new low end laptop and one very high end desktop. I didn't have any significant issues other than cosmetic bugs. And so did majority of involved beta testers. The rest simply has to be dealt after the release. There is no other way.

You are correct that this "upgrade" shows up as a popup as a new version with no mention of Beta being mentioned at all.

Why should there be a "beta" tag if it's not a beta? You make no sense at all with your weird statements...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 09:58:08 PM »
Facts? Here are some facts:

- Saying it wasn't tested isn't a fact.
- Saying the update is a beta is wrong.
- If you install pre-release software, you are always doing at your own risk. You always can wait for the final release and install that.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 10:04:49 PM »
You are correct that this "upgrade" shows up as a popup as a new version with no mention of Beta being mentioned at all. 
when @doktornotor refer to the beta section, he did not say it is a Beta program
he means that you should go there and see that it was in fact tested for a long time

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:13:00 PM by Pondus »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 10:08:31 PM »

What insults? We are here to assist not to insult. Your ignorance is what is keeping you from getting the positive advice you deserve.

What are the various OS's you installed avast on? What other security software are on the machines? If uninstalled how was it uninstalled?

Like RejZor I was involved in the two month long beta test. We did find very few "real" issues. Most of the rest of the issues were mostly
cosmetic in nature. As was pointed out with nearly two hundred million machines using avast it's absolutely impossible to get avast to work
perfectly on each of them.

Now that you have your less than dignified rant out of the way help yourself by helping us help you.
That is only if you care about your self-proclaimed damaged "reputation".  :)

edit: Here's the link to the beta board http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=15.0...start looking on page three.  8)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:12:08 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 10:14:35 PM »
when @doktornotor refer to the beta section, he does not mean it is a Beta program
he means that you should go there and see that it was in fact tested for a long time

Yeah, exactly... and frankly posting threads like this is quite of an insult to those lots of people who spent lots of their free time testing the 2014 pre-release versions.  >:(

As for the OP, it really cannot get more ridiculous than complaining about lack of testing and - in the next sentence - complaining about losing customers because of, hmmm... guess what - total lack of testing on the OP's side.  ::)

Sir, if you are dumping upgrades, patches and hotfixes on your customers without testing them yourself in your unique environment, it's basically your own damn fault. No matter whether we are talking about Avast's products, Microsoft's ones or anyone other vendors' software. It is outright impossible to test every imaginable scenario on hundreds of millions of unique installs.  ::)

TRY testing it before your deploy it PLEASE ! ! ! !
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:17:09 PM by doktornotor »

ram1220

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 11:35:03 PM »
Oh please. Up until the day of release of 2014 there were plenty of issues being reported in the beta forum. A lot of which were not fixed. 2014 was rushed out and that is the bottom line. I won't be using it until the bugs are fixed. Why is it anytime someone has a complaint about the product all of the fanboys come out of the wood work? If 2014 had been tested properly and fixed before release there wouldn't be so many people complaining. It's the same with just about any new game released. The customer is doing the beta testing.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 11:52:38 PM »
Oh please. Up until the day of release of 2014 there were plenty of issues being reported in the beta forum. A lot of which were not fixed. 2014 was rushed out and that is the bottom line. I won't be using it until the bugs are fixed. Why is it anytime someone has a complaint about the product all of the fanboys come out of the wood work? If 2014 had been tested properly and fixed before release there wouldn't be so many people complaining. It's the same with just about any new game released. The customer is doing the beta testing.
Uh...as stated before all of the "major" bugs have been fixed. As doktornotor alluded to, if you don't run it it on your own machine how do you know
if any bug applies to you specifically. If you read my previous post you will find that I was involved in the two month long beta test and found no real
major issues. Myself and many others found some minor bugs but nothing to prevent us from continuing to beta test. In my humble opinion v2014
was/is more than ready for release.

I am not a "fanboy" (as you put it), I am one extremely loyal avast user. As I also wrote with 200,000,000 users it's impossible to defeat every
bug laying in wait. Keep in mind 200,000,000 users equates to 200,000,000 different set-ups.

Oh by the way...most, if not all, beta testing is done by the users of any given software.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 12:01:55 AM »
Ram, you are wrong. A lot of problems where fixed before the release.
And we do not mind if people have a complaint as long as it is told in a normal/decent way.
If people say "I think I have find a bug/problem and this is why I think so...." and provide details, there is no problem.
We will try to help and when/if needed the people from avast will fix things in a next release.
What we don't like is people like PhantomTech who join this webboard saying "the product sucks" and not even give us/the people from avast a change to at least try to help solving the problem(s).