Author Topic: Avast Scan Techiques - Lazy, Incompetent & Defamation  (Read 22261 times)

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast Scan Techiques - Lazy, Incompetent & Defamation
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »
Btw, having to "Go Premium" in Avast to see more details about why Total Recall is marked as PUP is as unprofessional as the software itself. It reminds me of all those scams on the web where you would see "Free Something Here, just follow these steps" and when you finish, it says "Pay with PayPal to see the results".
As far as I'm aware, Avast might mark legit apps as PUP just to have users "Go Premium" to see more info about ... nothing! KillerMobile, maybe you can use this in court.

I think you misunderstood something. PUP has nothing to do with App Locking, Ad Detector or anything else that is in Premium.

Filip

catalinc

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »
You are right, but then it means that the "More Info" window is miss-leading. It doesn't provide any info on why the software is marked as PUP (which I definitely want to know when I install an app and the antivirus detects it). It shows only a part of the permissions which I see when I install the software and TO WHICH I AGREE. Not to mention it doesn't say anything about "call recording" which from what you say, it's the actual "privacy issue". Honestly, as an Android and Total Recall user, I don't have any idea why it was marked as PUP and it definitely is a defamation of Total Recall.

So, excuse me if I'm wrong, but I find the "More Info" window miss-leading without any relevant information shown there and the only way to "find more info" is to go premium. At least that's what it is making me think.
The "Ad Detector" description says: "To see privacy issues connected with the app behaviour, please purchase the Premium subscription." - now, you're telling me that this is not miss-leading?
The average consumer reading the posts on this thread will come to the conclusion that indeed Total Recall has a "privacy issue" (sensitive-data) type of problem so they will pay to find out more.

But now you are telling me that Ad Detector is a different feature. Now, please tell me, if you didn't worked for Avast and you would've receive a PUP alert and wanted to find our more info about it, from the "More Info" window wouldn't the conclusion be that you need to go premium to find out more info about the privacy issues?
At the very least, your devs should change the description of "Ad Detector" to not be so miss-leading and describe exactly what the "Ad Detector" is and what it will do. Also, it should provide exact and precise info about why an app is marked as PUP. Let's say it was marked as PUP because it records calls - then why only Total Recall is marked like this and not the other similar apps?

Anyways, we can argue for days on this issue and I don't want that, I suggest you forward this thread to your boss and the devs and I'm sure they'll understand exactly that they need to take into consideration the consumer and other app developers opinions in order to develop a better product and truly make the difference between malware and legit software. Well, if they care about their product they will.

Have a good day! Thanks!

EDIT: I have exactly the same problem as Vicky, I have added Total Recall to the so-called "white list" but Avast won't allow the program to start. I have even restarted the phone.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:21:13 PM by catalinc »

VickyG

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 04:11:23 PM »
Although i came here and i complained with avast about the issue, i still think that avast should flag anyway any program that is going to record my calls.
So YES, it's true that avast have to fix something, specially the fact that after i put the PUP in the white list it should work, but i don't think we should complain because avast flagged it at the beginning.

This is the case in which WE DID WANT this program, but what if you get a REALLY UNWANTED program recording your calls?

So a good antivirus software should ask me: ehy buddy, there is a program recording your calls in your device. Did you know it?
YES, I DID.
Ok, so i let it work!

That's all, in my opinion.

catalinc

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
Hey Vicky, I totally agree with you, but if we go that way, a good antivirus should tell you why it blocked the app (as I said, it doesn't mention absolutely anything about call recording).

Also, a good antivirus should know how to make a difference between a LEGIT software installed with your consent from Google Play (every application which records calls and is listed on Google Play will let the user know that it will records calls! Google won't let you install it other way, if you don't accept). You tell me that if I install on my PC a software which saves my browser passwords (password manager) somewhere online (most of them do) and I agree to install it, Avast should mark it as PUP because it stores my passwords which are sensitive data? No, it shouldn't.

As I said, we can go back and forth with this, but if one antivirus marks TR as PUP and 10 others don't, then definitely there's a problem with Avast.

Thanks!

KillerMobile

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 05:51:52 PM »
For all of you Avast Fanboys out there, here's a bit more proof that Avast's reasoning for flagging Total Recall is complete and utter B.S. (see the attached screenshots). You see, if they were actually flagging the application due to the functionality, other similar apps would be flagged as well, however this isn't the case. And this point alone will be the silver bullet in our legal case against Avast. Add this to the dozens of user emails outlining how Avast literally breaks Total Recall, proof that listing Total Recall as a "PUP" is actually listing it as Malware due to Avast's default settings, how Avast prompts users to Uninstall Total Recall, and how all of this has led to negative feedback on the Play Store as well as user uninstalls (both of which affect our listing rank as well as sales) and it's very clear who's in the wrong. Even if Avast finally pulls their heads out of their butt, we're still taking this to court. However the sooner they realize they're going to lose this fight, the smaller the overall damages claim will be. Let this go on long enough, and you Avast cheerleaders won't have a forum to come and waste your days on.

Stay Killer

KillerMobile

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
These two scans of very different apps show just how hypocritical & ineffective Avast really is:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/536c95792e8820bb3b41c56b8b9d32a44cddc48c037efa9a0c04264421f6abe5/analysis/1385333474/

Picked up by pretty much ALL major AV apps, yet NOT Avast, even though Filip even mentions it's pretty much a PUP

Now take a look at Total Recall's scan: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/e9f970b7c33f928c9e3885b901aa8cc61b0be624fd371558eff7f75cf44ec29b/analysis/1385406993/

Out of 47 scanners, ONLY Avast thinks it's a PUP.

If you still think flagging Total Recall as a PUP is legit - you're delusional. The fact of the matter is, Avast's software engineers lack the competence to actually perform useful, legitimate application scans.

parulk30

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 07:03:52 AM »
Com'on Chintan,
it is a program that goes to record every call you make and receive.
I'm also a TR user, but it is normal that your antimalware software should give you a warning!
I'd like avast to call my attention if a program goes to record my calls without my permission!
And they flag it as a potentially unwanted program, not as a malware 100% to put in quarantine immediately!
So i think avast does its job, the only problem that appear to be already fixed for the moment is that after you put TR in the whitelist, it should work.
If you do it, now the problem seems to be fixed.
I hope it is permanently fixed because i love both avast and TR and i'm sorry they have some argue.

Chintian, suppose you accidentally download a malware that records your call... would you like your antivirus claim your attention on it or not?

Hi VickyG,
I am not agree with your point. I think you did not use TR  here user are able to filter when call should be recorder, please open app > setting > recording > call to records > and select option according to user requirement. So how to flag this and said that “potentially unwanted program” . TR is user friendly, safe and secure app and I am also happy with using this app.

And here I am agree with chintan point “I must say TR is completely safe software!!! I need justification from AVAST guys on why TR is flagged as PUP and explain me what secretive things it does to be called as PUP.”

Should be remove this PUP information .

Thanks

rpcohen

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 08:38:12 AM »
I used the demo TR for several weeks and purchased a key for the Pro version for the new version TR2.  I immediately began to run into problems with the new install which led me to reinstall it several times but the problems got worse until it got to the point that TR2 would shut down almost immediately after loading.  At no time did Avast notify me that it was blocking the program.  Just in case it was, I entered TR2 into the ignore list in Avast and tried rebooting and loading it again but still it failed to load.  However, when I finally removed Avast, TR2 began working fine again.  Obviously, the problem was caused by Avast.  Why didn't Avast warn me that it had blocked the execution of program I had installed?  Why did Avast continue to block TR2 after it had been told to ignore it as a potential threat.  Why didn't Avast fix its scanner to recognize TR2 as a legit program after it had been notified bu its users?

I use Avast on my PC and I've never run into similar problems with any of the PUP applications on my system.  Unfortunately, the Android version of Avast fails to live up to the high quality of the PC version in some very dangerous ways that led to the loss of data on my phone.  Faced with this problem, I was forced to choose between using Avast or using TR2.  For me it was a no-brainer.  There are numerous A/V apps available for Android but only one app I've found that allows for reliable recording of phone calls without rooting my phone, and that app is Total Recall 2.  So I dumped Avast and installed AVG Android instead and now TR2 works again.  AVG has some really great tools built in that seem more mature than the ones in Avast and I haven't read any reviews of AVG that lead me to believe that I might run into problems like the ones caused by Avast.

Instead of making excuses, I urge Avast to fix their software so that it assists the user by providing them with the information they need to make an intelligent decision about their safety and then implements that decision no matter what Avast thinks is best.  Any A/V app that fails to do that is in my opinion broken, and Avast Android is broken and needs to be fixed.

VickyG

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
hi Parulk30,
ok, i shut up :-)
Maybe i don't know nothing about antivirus and programming, so i don't know what i say.
Actually i am a very satisfied Total Recall user, i have to say that it is the only one working (and working fine),
but i am also a Avast user. I am very satisfied of avast too, specially for their anti theft service, that seems to be very good.

So once again i just hope that they can fix their problem friendly.
I would like the people sit down and calmly discuss their problem with the goal to fix it, that's my style.
I think that making the war will slow the fixing process and this will be at user's disadvantage.
That's all :-)

deepeng432

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2013, 09:44:57 AM »
Hi,

I am also TR 2 user , i am also happy with this app & also using AVAST Mobile ANTIVIRUS but currently i am facing updating problem this app but parulk30 suggest me good idea when i search parulk30 reply, i am getting this post.

Yes TR 2 is safe and secure app, I am also getting pup from avast but i think it should not be display here because it is safe application not harmful my device & data. So here i will request to avast please remove pup from TR 2 app.

Hope it will fix soon............I will also suggest to many friends TR 2 is safe & secure application for call recording.

Thanx

parulk30

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2014, 03:59:22 AM »
Hi,

This is very bad experiences with AVast mobile antivirus, it's again flagging total recall call recorder, why ? and I am satisfy and continue using total recall call recorder. Currently I am using this app PAID version, here my question why flagging a PAID application as a PUP?  This app fully control in my hand and working fine.
Please remove this flagging information otherwise no option for me to remove my antivirus program because I am using PAID version. Hope your team fix this issue as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Parulk30

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:38:31 AM by parulk30 »

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »
Hi,

you can add the app to the ignore list if you want.

Filip

parulk30

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2014, 04:42:07 PM »
Hi,

you can add the app to the ignore list if you want.

Filip

Thanks for reply.

If i add this app to the ignore list that's one time solution, i want full solution because this app (total recall-call recorder) is 100% safe & secure so why its display "flagging a PAID application as a PUP" ?

Suppose i will add this in ignore list therefore app update that condition again avast display PUP notification that bad for me.

Why i said its  100% safe & secure ? because here app not display any Ads so no spam code/tracking code track my privacy.

i believe, your team should be fixed this issue.

i am waiting for your positive reply.

Thanks,
Parulk30
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:58:39 PM by parulk30 »

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 05:32:31 PM »
Hi,

that decision is unfortunately not up to me, sorry.

Filip

parulk30

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2014, 06:33:52 AM »
It seems odd that a company like Avast would intentionally flag a single Call Recorder app, and no others, almost as if they're intentionally screwing with Total Recall. I would think that's very much illegal.