Author Topic: Win 7 64bit, problem with startup - safe mode stuck at aswrvrt.sys  (Read 12059 times)

DTwyman

Hi,

I tried to start my computer yesterday and just like many others on this forum, it wouldn't load Windows. The screen I got upon a normal boot was options for either Windows Repair (which gets stuck on the light blue screen forever), or start windows normally, which freezes and then loops back to the options screen.

I've tried booting in safe mode, but it gets stuck after loading file aswrvrt.sys

I've been reading other similar posts on this forum to try to resolve the issue, but I can't find a ISO file for Windows 7 64bit as essexboy's dropbox link has expired. Could anyone help me out??

I have access to an internet connected pc, but don't have administrator privileges (is in the university library). I can download things such as rufus and FRST though.

Please help me out! Am a broke student and can't afford any costly repair shops :(

Thanks,
Dave

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
Re: Win 7 64bit, problem with startup - safe mode stuck at aswrvrt.sys
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:50:24 PM »
Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.
  • Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.
  • Restart your computer and tap F8 to bring up the Advanced Menu, then click Repair your computer
  • Follow the prompt to enter keyboard input method, and then the prompt to enter a password. If the machine does not have a password, simply click Enter.
In the next menu, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Command Prompt and press Enter.
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • When notepad opens, click File and select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst64.exe and press Enter.
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please attach it to your reply.
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

DTwyman

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 02:22:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

Ive downloaded FRST64 and saved it on a USB. I plugged it in and was able to access the advanced boot options via F8, but when I try to go to repair your computer, it freezes on the light blue 'login' screen.

Any tips?

Thanks

Dave

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 02:23:06 PM »
Do you have installation disk for Windows 7 64-bit?
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

DTwyman

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 02:23:41 PM »
Unfortunately not, the laptop came with it preinstalled :p

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 02:25:50 PM »
I can give you link for Windows 7 download, and you'll need to burn iso to disc. Do you agree with this?

DTwyman

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »
Is it possible to burn it to USB? I don't have any writeable discs to hand. Otherwise yes, I agree :)

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 02:33:20 PM »
Yes, it is possible :)

You'll need to download Windows 7 ISO and the tool required to burn iso

Windows 7 ISO --> http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso
Windows 7 USB Download tool --> http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe

Download both files, first one is big, it will take some time...

Then, you need to install Windows 7 USB Download tool and run it. Follow the steps, you'll need to choose ISO. It is quite simple.

When you finish, you'll need to boot USB and to attach report.

DTwyman

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 02:43:15 PM »
Do you think it's possible to use Rufus to make the ISO? I dont have administrator privileges on this PC.

DTwyman

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 02:53:34 PM »
Actually, my USB stick here isn't big enough for the ISO file. I'll have to wait until I go home tonight and use my housemate's one. Thanks for your help so far! I'll post the FRST file when it's done

Dave

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 03:33:57 PM »
Do you think it's possible to use Rufus to make the ISO? I dont have administrator privileges on this PC.

Yes I think it is possible :)

DTwyman

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 11:02:54 AM »
Sorry my reply has taken so long, needed to get a bigger USB off of my friend to save the ISO file.

I loaded the ISO onto the USB using Rufus and also saved FRST on it as well. Have plugged it in and booted from USB. Windows menu came up asking for my language etc, so I amended that to fit and then on the next screen I clicked the repair computer button, but now it's frozen as before, stuck on the blue screen. It's only been about 5-10mins since the screen came up, so I'll wait a bit longer before trying again, but am I going wrong somewhere / should I try something else?

Thanks,

Dave

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 11:10:04 AM »
I think that you must use DVD to burn ISO, and then boot from DVD?

DTwyman

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 11:15:33 AM »
So booting the ISO from USB isnt possible? I'll see if I can get hold of a DVD somewhere then

DTwyman

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 11:22:08 AM »
And I presume that if I click on Install Windows 7, it will start a reinstall and essentially format my laptop and delete all the stuff I'm trying to save by doing this fix :p