Author Topic: [RESOLVED, more or less]Question about self-protection module  (Read 2487 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
[RESOLVED, more or less]Question about self-protection module
« on: January 23, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »
I've lost track of when I first noticed this, but it was probably around the original "final" release of avast 9/2014.  In prior versions, if I temporarily disabled one of the shields (typically, the file shield if I was about to do a scan with another product, like MBAM), the self-protect would kick in and ask me to confirm I was doing this deliberately.  I'm no longer getting this (yes, self-protection shows as active under settings/troubleshooting), although I do get that conspicuous warning in the main/status window plus the modified tooltray icon.

Any way I can resuscitate that self-protection confirmation step, or did the Avast crew decide that with the other warnings present it would be "overkill"?  I think it was a useful and important part of the process, especially if you were being careless and killing the shield was unintentional.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:23:26 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Qestion about self-protection module
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 10:18:38 PM »
In this version I think it is only when you disable all shields, from the tray icon, avast! Shields Control that you get the self-defence module kick in. Disabling individual shields from the Active Protection of the UI, you get the customary avast tray icon with a Yellow triangle with exclamation mark.

You also get changes in the Main page of the avastUI.

However, if you disable the file system shield, you would also get the windows security/action center popup as well.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Qestion about self-protection module
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 11:21:30 PM »
Thanks, David.  :)  Since I can't envision circumstances where I'd want to kill all shields (I'm on DSL, after all), I guess I'm stuck with the change.  And as we both noted, there's still other warnings.  I don't get the Win action center one since I disabled that particular notification as (a) unnecessary and (b) apparently unreliable with recent versions of avast, according to numerous postings.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

thekochs

Re: [RESOLVED, more or less]Question about self-protection module
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 11:36:30 PM »
about to do a scan with another product, like MBAM), the self-protect would kick in and ask me to confirm I was doing this deliberately.  I'm

FYI.....I have BMAM Pro with active shield WITH Avast running...no conflicts, no exclusions.
I also have daily (nightly) scans (different times) of Avast & MBAM run.....no conflicts.
I think your point/topic is when you do have to disable but wanted to let you know about MBAM & Avast....they play nice.
......and YES....to anyone about to post after reading this...MBAM active protection is perhaps overkill with Avast....but call me paranoid. :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: [RESOLVED, more or less]Question about self-protection module
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:51:03 PM »
Thanks, David.  :)  Since I can't envision circumstances where I'd want to kill all shields (I'm on DSL, after all), I guess I'm stuck with the change.  And as we both noted, there's still other warnings.  I don't get the Win action center one since I disabled that particular notification as (a) unnecessary and (b) apparently unreliable with recent versions of avast, according to numerous postings.

You're welcome.

Personally I really would recommend that you enable monitoring of the AV in the action center.

Yes at times the action center (or rather the WMI) can hiccup, but I feel the benefit outweighs this and it isn't too difficult to get it to recognise that avast is installed/running/up to date, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security