Author Topic: //solved: How to remove self-advertising?  (Read 3604 times)

RekoChett

//solved: How to remove self-advertising?
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »
Anyone have a guide to get rid of the useless pop-ups?

The ONLY ones I want to show are when it "finds" something or has protected me, etc.  Those things.  The useful ones.

The ones I DON'T want are Pro for cheaper or Take a Selfie (Dear GOD no...), etc.  These things.  The useless ones.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:30:11 PM by RekoChett »

AdrianH

RekoChett

Re: How to remove self-advertising?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:48:22 PM »
So what you are saying is what I (and appears to be others) want is unable to be done?

A "Yes" or "No" would suffice.

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:20:10 PM »
So what you are saying is what I (and appears to be others) want is unable to be done?

Correct, the only way to avoid the adverts is to use "Silent Gaming Mode" ..... then of course you get none of the info/warnings you want.

The reply from avast support ,  to user " Blove" in post 4 of the thread I linked says it all.

RekoChett

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:29:55 PM »
That's real shoddy.  Avast! is big enough for them to be known and travel by word without these pop-ups.

Some users, like me, don't have the money (or the need/want) for features further than what the free version offers.  That alone, is why I highly suggest changes be made to allow these turned off (without the turning off of all/the useful ones).

I'll stick around for now, I guess.  But one thing I can say is that I will not be suggesting Avast! to other people anymore.

//solved

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: //solved: How to remove self-advertising?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:54:59 PM »
These usually come when there is a vps update.
To get rid of these and still get the "warning" pop-ups...

GUI>Settings>Update>scroll down to "details">untick "show notification after automatic update"  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: //solved: How to remove self-advertising?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 12:58:17 AM »

Correct, the only way to avoid the adverts is to use "Silent Gaming Mode" ..... then of course you get none of the info/warnings you want.

The reply from avast support ,  to user " Blove" in post 4 of the thread I linked says it all.

It isn't the only method and it is possibly the worse of two options to use "Silent/Gaming Mode" has knock on effects on the rest of the program.

The very last post in that topic used as a reference shows the other option uncheck "show notification after automatic update" and that only impacts that one area of avast.
<snip>
The resolution is to disable the auto update notification avastUI > Settings > Update - scroll down to Update Options and uncheck the 'Show notification box after automatic update.'

Of course you then lose the auto update notification proper also. Depending on OS, you can hover the mouse over the avast tray icon and that will give a tool tip with the avast version and VPS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security