Author Topic: Problems with my computer's hardware?  (Read 26447 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Problems with my computer's hardware?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 01:21:54 PM »
OK now it is more complex as it will entail looking inside the computer and reseating all the components and clearing out any dust bunnies

While you are thinking about that we will power drain the computer

1.Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and media cards. You want to test the computer not the accessories!

2.Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds .

3.Reconnect the AC power adapter (but do not connect the battery), Press the Power button, Look for glowing LEDs near caps lock and num lock keys, and Listen for sounds of a disk drive and fan turning.

4.If that looks good then insert the battery and try a normal boot

Offline avastuser1243

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 01:33:22 PM »
OK now it is more complex as it will entail looking inside the computer and reseating all the components and clearing out any dust bunnies

While you are thinking about that we will power drain the computer

1.Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and media cards. You want to test the computer not the accessories!

2.Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds .

3.Reconnect the AC power adapter (but do not connect the battery), Press the Power button, Look for glowing LEDs near caps lock and num lock keys, and Listen for sounds of a disk drive and fan turning.

4.If that looks good then insert the battery and try a normal boot

I will try this. However, now that you mentioned media cards, I just remembered that the last time I clean installed Windows 8, the problem with the hard drive light flashing constantly stopped until I installed the memory card reader drivers (which were the only drivers not to be automatically installed) and then the problem seemed to instantly reappear. I don't know if this is of any significance.

Just one question about the process: On number 3, do I switch on the AC power adapter at the mains before pressing the power button?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »
Aye turn the power on :)

Offline avastuser1243

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »
The laptop booted up as normal as if the battery was still connected (didn't know it could do that ;D), I didn't see any glowing LEDs near caps lock or num lock but the sounds of the disk drive and fan seemed to be normal. The hard drive light still continued to flash non stop and is still doing so now with everything reconnected.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 02:31:33 PM »
OK the drivers for the card reader, did you allow windows to install them or did you download them from your computer manufacturer 

Offline avastuser1243

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 02:39:25 PM »
OK the drivers for the card reader, did you allow windows to install them or did you download them from your computer manufacturer

When I installed Windows 8, there was a '!' on the picture of the laptop in the 'Devices and Printers' section of the Control Panel so I right clicked it and then chose the the 'Troubleshoot' option where Windows found that there were missing drivers for some hardware, searched for solutions and then provided an exact link to the file for the drivers it said I needed to download from the Acer website so I downloaded it and followed Windows' instructions to install the drivers from the file, Windows then said they had been installed successfully. It's still in the programs list as 'Broadcom Card Reader Driver Installer'.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 03:23:20 PM »
OK lets now check the driver date.  This programme did not have any adons last time I installed, but keep your eyes open for them 

Download Slimdrivers  to your desktop   
Install the programme and on completion run   
On the first page select Start Scan 

Once it has completed click the download link on the right hand side (you can only download one driver at a time)   

Allow the creation of a restore point prior to downloading and installing. 
The driver will now be downloaded and backed up for safety.  A reboot will be required on completion   

Only do the card reader driver at this stage

Offline avastuser1243

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 03:37:59 PM »
Is the card reader driver the one that comes under 'Storage Controllers'?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 04:06:34 PM »
Yes it is :)

Offline avastuser1243

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 04:18:47 PM »
I updated the card reader driver but it seemed to up date most of the other drivers at the same time probably because I didn't tick the 'ignore' box on them so I cancelled it when it reached one of the intel updates. Anyway, the HD light is still flashing constantly, shall I install the rest of the driver updates?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 04:49:15 PM »
Yes do them all, sometimes when it updates a storage driver it may also update some chipset drivers

Offline avastuser1243

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 05:50:59 PM »
Yes do them all, sometimes when it updates a storage driver it may also update some chipset drivers

Yes, it was the Intel chipset driver that I cancelled the installation of. Is it possible for me to get the software to offer me the card reader driver update again so I can install the chipset driver?

Sorry about this.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 05:53:37 PM »
Not a problem, if the chipset drivers are no longer being offered then they were installed :)

Has that made any difference now ?

Offline avastuser1243

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 06:19:17 PM »
Not a problem, if the chipset drivers are no longer being offered then they were installed :)

Has that made any difference now ?

No, still flashing. I don't think the chipset drivers could have been installed because when it loaded the wizard to install them I clicked 'cancel' and it said that the driver update will not be installed and I clicked 'OK'. Also, two of the other drivers couldn't be installed, a 'high definition audio driver' and another driver 'intel interface management' or something. With both of these, it downloaded the driver but when it came to installing them it came up with the message: "Your computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installation". I think it may have something to do with me cancelling the intel chipset driver installation.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 06:35:53 PM »
Windows does check the drivers to confirm that they are compatible with your system

OK I will check out how to reset the list