Author Topic: Avast! Window selection Scan . . .  (Read 3532 times)

NTxLS

Avast! Window selection Scan . . .
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:01:15 AM »
In my version of Avast!, and was just updated to the latest version, under the selection 'Scan' there are four(4) methods of scanning. Mine has those four(4) plus one blank line and ten(10) entries with nothing but question marks (????) four(4) each just above the last entry of 'Boot-time scan' I want to know how they got there and what are they for? They were there before the latest update and are still there now.

Paul_D

Re: Avast! Window selection Scan . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 01:15:38 AM »
A Screen shot would help greatly

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • F-Secure user
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 01:17:33 AM »
try run avast repair option from ad/remove programs > uninstall/change

are they still there?

NTxLS

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 01:48:06 AM »
Will get screen shot after my Supper is done, just stated. before doing the suggestion from the COP!! (BAG!)

NTxLS

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 02:23:43 AM »
"Pondus"

The problem is still there as explained in my original post. I now need to go in to AVAST! and reset all of my settings because that repair told me it would reset all settings to installation settings.

Thank you for this attempt but did not HELP

NTxLS

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 02:41:48 AM »
Retry, first time was told the file was too large, reduced said file so here we go again . .

This should pass inspection for you to view . .

NTxLS

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 02:43:34 AM »
I now await your verdict . . it is some how within your program and I am not a programmer. Just a little advanced user that keeps a clean ship and runs free . .

NTxLS

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 02:51:32 AM »
"Pondus,"

If I may make a comment about your suggestion, the reference you made is 'Add and Remove Programs' which is an old XP term and earlier. I am on Win7Pro 64 bit and it is called "Programs and Features" from within the Control Panel. The only reason I mention this is I am locked in a battle with a USER that has been using a computer for about 10 or 12 years and SHE has no ideas as to how to maintain her system. I have been attempting to explain thingys to her and what I started with about 5 years ago are just now sinking into her head yet what I have recently taught her, she cannot remember.

Paul_D

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 03:02:49 AM »
This should pass inspection for you to view . .
Barely - with a magnifying glass.

Open the window again, make it the active window (click inside it with your mouse) Then press Alt+PrtScr. This captures the active window rather than the full screen.

Or you could have simply cropped your existing image.

NTxLS

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 03:16:15 AM »
Yes Sir! Now have NEW information, scheduled a "BOOT-TIME SCAN", have not done it yet, the question marks are GONE! Cannot get the new view for you. Will attempt to crop the original view I had created, later.

NTxLS

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 03:35:56 AM »
This is my original PNG file and have cropped the edges, will see if it will go . .

NTxLS

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 03:40:22 AM »
Gentlemen,

I use Irfan View FREE and this is the very first time I have had to crop and am not really sure if what I did is correct. If you just single click on the image in my post before this one it will enlarge a bit. If you copy image to your system and open same with Irfan View you may enlarge it to more than your screen if you like.

NTxLS

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 03:44:13 AM »
I just right clicked on that image and saved it to my H/D and was able to enlarge to just about any size you so desire .

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 12:11:04 PM »
What version did you update from ?  As there is an occasional glitch where this does occur.  A repair will fix it.  You can save your settings and then re-insert them on completion

NTxLS

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 01:01:30 PM »
Sir EssexBoy,

I maintain my Avast! as up to date as possible, have not seen this issue before the just previous version. Caused some concern and after doing the update it was still there then Pondus said to do the repair and that did not do anything. Then a little later it was gone and do not know what caused it in the first place nor what cleared that issue.

All I can say is it is gone . . forgot to mention I did schedule a 'Boot-time scan' and just before running said scan noticed that issue was not there any longer.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:03:44 PM by NTxLS »