Author Topic: Freeze on virus update!  (Read 11311 times)

Whats Up

Re: Freeze on virus update!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 10:56:21 PM »
Thanks again guys and gals,

Right now no update is available and I won't be using this system again until Sunday the 31st.  At that time I will try the suggestions from Igor and Eddy.

Bye for now.

Whats Up

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 01:50:23 AM »
Tried using silent mode after stopping all other programs - same result - sysrem hangs!  Even if the update fails and I click on the "Avast! Information" screen, the summary screen comes up and my system is hung.

Since no one else seems to be having this problem, and it is manageable, ie, just don't allow an update unless I'm willing to reboot, I guess I can live with it. 

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

What's Up

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 02:35:00 AM »
There is one thing that should definatly solve it. A fresh install of Windows.
But there is another thing that could work also.
It is called a repair installion. No not from Avast but from Windows.
How it goes?
1) backup all data (just in case anything goes wrong)
2) start the Windows installation from the Windows 98(se) cd.
3) When it asks where to install, let it install in the same folder the current Windows version is in.
4) After reinstalling (repairing) Windows, visit Windows Update Website and get/install ALL security patches/updates.

This way you will not loose any data or applications and still corrupted Windows files will be replaced with their original ones.

You said you can live with the problem. I would say don't do this if you don't feel like doing so.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 07:29:43 PM »
There is one thing that should definatly solve it. A fresh install of Windows.
But there is another thing that could work also.
It is called a repair installion. No not from Avast but from Windows.
How it goes?
1) backup all data (just in case anything goes wrong)
2) start the Windows installation from the Windows 98(se) cd.
3) When it asks where to install, let it install in the same folder the current Windows version is in.
4) After reinstalling (repairing) Windows, visit Windows Update Website and get/install ALL security patches/updates.

This way you will not loose any data or applications and still corrupted Windows files will be replaced with their original ones.

You said you can live with the problem. I would say don't do this if you don't feel like doing so.
What Eddy suggests is the correct approach to take. There is obviously a problem with your Windows installation . Follow Eddy's instructions carefully,  and no Data will be lost and you'll have a CLEAN install of Windows 98 SE . It's a bit of work, especially getting ALL security patches/updates. 
but... :
Since no one else seems to be having this problem, and it is manageable, ie, just don't allow an update unless I'm willing to reboot, I guess I can live with it.
... this is not something to"live with". You will most certainly be at risk if corrupted Windows files aren't replaced with their original ones. The problems you are experiencing suggest a major instability and the entire operating system , plus all programs could be at risk . No one should live with that... ;)
Firstly try this if you want :
Start > Programs > accessories > system tools > system information > tools > system File Checker .
 Check the box > scan for altered files >START.
 You'll be told of any corrupt system files, and prompted to re-install them from your disk.
In the end it's maybe easier to  overwrite Win98se as Eddy suggests. Goodluck !

AA55US

hers a cple of items to ck, I also win98se
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 08:52:52 PM »
did you get a correct answer & help?.'AA"

Whats Up

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005, 09:02:03 PM »
Thanks Eddy and Abraxas for your help. 

I checked for altered files and found none.  I am reluctant to rebuild this system just now - I only use it at my summer home and just rebuilt it in June.

I had no problems until I replaced Norton AV w/ avast!, and, as I said before, the only apparent problem is with the avast! updates.  Other program updates work fine and as long as I don't allow avast! updates everything seems to work fine, and I can keep the avast! virus protection up to date by allowing the update when I am ready to shut down for the day.

Perhaps this fall I will rebuild the system and see if this fixes the problem.  Meanwhile, if I stumble on a fix I will post it.

Thanks again,

What's Up  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005, 09:10:18 PM »
Whats Up, you can manually download and apply updates after all...
http://www.avast.com/eng/updates.html
The best things in life are free.

AA55US

Re: WHATS UP 1 other tip
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005, 03:33:42 PM »
I had no problems until I replaced Norton AV w/ avast!, and, as I said before, the only apparent problem is with the avast! updates.  Other program updates work fine and as long as I don't allow avast! updates everything seems to work fine, and I can keep the avast! virus protection up to date by allowing the update when I am ready to shut down for the day.

while you may have uninstalled Norton/Symantec, useing their uninstall, or add/remove Norton/symantec isn't out of your computer[\/b] I used Norton/Symantectic for the first 3 yrs,I started on a computer & found out though you may think you uninstalled Norto]n, they-Norton/Smantec are "sneeky", what they do not tell you
is that there is only ONE WAY to make sure you get them COMPLETELY out of your computer,

IF you go into your computers registry,
your going to see aprox 25-50 Norton/symantec items that MUST be removed also
to make sure norton/symantec is out & can't track your computer.
do you know how to o]pen,clean & ck your registry for No]rton/Symantec?  ,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: WHATS UP 1 other tip
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2005, 05:10:37 PM »
AA55US, see: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12169.0

Read: Removing Norton

See How important is it to completely remove Norton? topic.

1) Please, browse the Symantec website and download the specific uninstall tool for NAV. It will clean trash left behing by NAV (files, registry keys). You need this to proper working with avast.

2) Can you try to repair your installation? Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

3) You can delete folders/files under either 'Norton' or 'Symantec' folder, the others under Liveupdate folders and ApplicationData...

4) On Registry, well good Registry Cleaners could do some work.
But, for me, the only thing I would worry about is the VDD keys. You must have the following entry there:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll

Can you post the contents of these Windows Registry keys in your system?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\\VDD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\\VDD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\\VDD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\\VDD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\\VDD
The best things in life are free.

Whats Up

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 11:35:01 PM »
Hi All,

Seems that silent mode masks the problem, I can update w/o rebooting, but the one time when the update failed, the "Summary" screen came up and hung the system.

AA55US & Tech,

I will check the Norton site for complete removal instructions. 

On my system, aswMonVd.dll is in the "Program Files" directory - I will copy it to the Avast4 directory.

I do not have any "VirtualDeviceDrivers" registry entries anywhere under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet.

Whats Up