Author Topic: avast doesn't detect adware  (Read 5610 times)

REDACTED

avast doesn't detect adware
« on: July 26, 2014, 02:38:26 PM »
I apologize for the inconvenience but I have a problem.
I recently noticed that when entering the site (not at all only on that site) appears pop-up in which I have the following options(save as,open,close-usual routine for downloading file).
I ignored that pop-up up to a certain moment  in which I realized that a file called bk-coretag.js actually represents adware.

I have installed avast and mbam on my machine with real time protection and somehow that adware  pass through them.
So my question is,how that is possible and I wish some recommendation for some additional ant-spyware,ati-adware program( I don't know like ad-aware,spybot,superantispyware......if some1 have some experience)
TY

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: avast doesn't detect adware
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 02:40:28 PM »
What site?

no security program have 100% detection. and Malwarebytes does not detect script files

virustotal
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/d465b721a17f9083ead7e72faf7b3a24be601b48ceee94cbbbe8fbfa1c31c3d6/analysis/1406380021/

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 03:09:26 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:08:33 PM »
I see results but , I was visiting that site before, and it there was no pop-up,that cant appear at once.I forgot to say that its appear only on that site.
(when I looking on internet some specification about this file "bk-coretag.js" evry single site said that was adware,really evry single)

It's mobafire(gaming site),I know old dude playing game O.O ;)

you said mbam doesn't scan script- you wana say that adware is script?

Can you recomad me some other kind of deffence except avast like  ad-aware,spybot,superantispyware... which scan script?-I know you will say that I don't need more programs but just ask.

And I forgot to ask,if part of malware is hiden in cookies does avast or mbam will detect it?

And 1 more question___Does normal scan vith avast have the same job like aswMBR(ofc we are talking about rootkits) or that is some kind more detail.

I know it's been a boring and tedious but I'd be very grateful if you could help me about this property.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:44:43 AM by Zmaj »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »
You can select a browser with add-on's for better protection. 
- For example Firefox (FF)  add-on "No Script" prevents scripting.
- MBAM Premium scans for adware (compatible with Avast, yet works differently than AV)
- For cookies, in FF use add-on's like AdBlockPlus, Ghostery, BetterPrivacy -- some of these also get rid of LSO cookies as well.
- To get rid of temp. Internet files, cache, crap including cookies on your PC after EVERY Internet session, use CCleaner, and Revo Uninstaller (the clean up portion).

Try to use private browsing sessions when possible.  Instead of using G00gle or other search engines, use ones that don't track you like IxQuick, or SmartPages and there are others that don't track you or your IP.

Don't install tools on to your browser unless you know how to remove them (and most people don't even know they have them there!).

Most people do a Quick scan with Avast weekly, a Full scan once a month, and only a Boot scan if a problem is detected.  You can layer your protection by adding these other things mentioned above, esp. MBAM Premium (the one-time paid version) which scans all the time and the browser protection (you would be surprised at how many people are trying to track you!).  There are other add-on's available too for remaining anonymous, but then surfing becomes more difficult.  You need to find the right compliment of layering your security.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:12:45 AM »
I see results but , I was visiting that site before, and it there was no pop-up,that cant appear at once.I forgot to say that its appear only on that site.
(when I looking on internet some specification about this file "bk-coretag.js" evry single site said that was adware,really evry single)
tags.bkrtx.com  http://malwaretips.com/blogs/tags-bkrtx-com-virus/

you said mbam doesn't scan script- you wana say that adware is script?
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=102698&view=findpost&p=507785

Can you recomad me some other kind of deffence except avast like  ad-aware,spybot,superantispyware... which scan script?-I know you will say that I don't need more programs but just ask.
your antivirus will take care of this

And I forgot to ask,if part of malware is hiden in cookies does avast or mbam will detect it?
Cookies are not malware, and avast / Malwarebytes does not target tracking cookies
Are cookies really spyware and are they dangerous?   http://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=26

And 1 more question___Does normal scan vith avast have the same job like aswMBR(ofc we are talking about rootkits) or that is some kind more detail.
avast does a rootkit scan 8min after boot
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:21:15 AM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:31:22 AM »
I know that i am annoying but have some question.

1.Is evry third part cookies-tracking cookies?I read 2 version : 1-tracking cookies have power to track all traffic on your web and have task to send that information to web server
                                                                                           2-they can track our traffic only by adds(if I visit www.avast.com and have adds on my left side(from that web server) he could
                                                                                           know my routine by that way(because can track me on evry site that have adds from him).
2.Is there some other place except (flash player(Lso)) where supercookies can storage themselves?
3.Can LSO(because they are much bigger,100kb) storage information like password-tracking all I search-and send that to some web server?
4.Can cookies send information to a web server Although I'm not on it , or do I have currently to search their site to have the ability to obtain information?
5.Is evry LSO cookie-zombie cookie?
6.Can ccleaner clear supercookies?
7.Can I get malware if I get infected adds or I need to click on it?
8.Is there any program like ghostery,betterprivacy which can block tracking site and clear lso cookies -for IE.

P.S. Is there any button such like,because you really help me a lot ;)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:53:10 AM by Zmaj »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 01:36:13 AM »
Ok, so you know that site is trying to spread malware.
Why do you keep visiting it?
Use common sense and don't visit it anymore.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 02:22:57 AM »
I know that i am annoying but have some question.
since you have a million questions ....have you tried this?     http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Is+evry+third+part+cookies-tracking+cookies%3F

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 08:27:34 AM »
I guess you didn't read my post!  ::)  I will address each issue you have so that you understand better:

1. Every time you go from one page to another on the Internet, multiple companies track you and plant cookies and possibly LSO's on your machine.  These cookies and LSO's track private information about you, your IP, your location, your browsing history, etc.  They don't just track you by the adds you view, but by the page you are on.
2. These cookies and LSO's are stored inside your machine itself, not within Flash (which may contain malware).
3. Think of LSO's as a huge cookies inside your machine.  They are much harder to remove, and unless you know what you are doing, they stay there.  That is why we are suggesting to you what I posted earlier ways to avoid getting them in the first place.
4. LSO's do not send info. to a web server.  They collect private info. about you/people for companies.
5. See #2 above.
6. Ccleaner download and info:http://www.piriform.com/promo/ccleaner-100314?gclid=COqYkYKr578CFQMMaQodvgMARg
7. Yes, you can get infected by viewing adds, which is why we gave you the suggestions we did. Try to avoid using Flash and do not allow for automatic updates of Flash - go to Control Panel to change this in your settings.
8. There are limited add-on's for IE.  That is why IE is the least safe browser to use these days and not recommended compared to others out there.  Even if you turn your settings up to the highest allowed, you most likely will not be able to browse in IE.  Why expose yourself to more potential malware when there are other options?  You can have more than one browser on your machine too.  Have you considered this?

I hope I have answered your questions.  There is more malware out there now and it's only going to get worse.  It's time for you to change your browsing habits and not stick with IE and try something different with the suggestions we gave you to protect yourself better from malware and also to protect your privacy more.  This not only goes for your PC, but also for your smart phone and tablet (if you have one).  Technology is improving, but the people who make malware are steps ahead of us.