Author Topic: Recent Spyware Blaster Issue  (Read 12207 times)

Yinyang4evry1

Recent Spyware Blaster Issue
« on: August 06, 2005, 09:28:39 PM »
Well, to catch those up that don't know, it was heard that Spware Blaster prevented spyware from being removed from your computer. So, for the last few days, I've been offline and testing that statement. I restored some of my quarantined spyware and scanned while Spyware Blaster was active. The antispyware removed it fine, without any problems. It did state about not removing spyware on the web site itself, but I think they meant that the program Spyware Blaster doesn't remove spyware that's already on your computer. But I need to know who agrees with me or not, so that I can look into the issue. I mean, I really don't want the hassle to uninstall Spyware Blaster everytime I want to scan and remove spyware. Thanks all! =)

greets,

tim

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Recent Spyware Blaster Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 09:44:36 PM »
As far I know, Spyware Blaster never remove Spyware installed in your system, it just prevent some of them to be installed.
It does not need to be disabled nor uninstalled when other spyware application (or removal tool) is running.
The best things in life are free.

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 10:02:31 PM »
while you're online right now, I have two questions:

1)Will my antispyware remove spyware finely even if Spyware Blaster is installed? Here's my previous discussion:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15342.30
and I really think that javacoolsoftware didn't MEAN that Spyware Blaster prevents spyware from being removed. I think they mean that Spyware Blaster doesn't remove spyware. So Tech, can you read this article and tell me what they mean just to verify because they might be misunderstood by other people: http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/idx/7/075/article/

2) where can I get my hands on a firewall/router? whatever that is

thanks man,

tim ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 10:12:14 PM »
Hi,

Actually we have to ask FIXER, because he was the one who started this issue on Spyware Blasters effects. I hope he will come on to give a bit of explanation, and if he agrees with the answers given here.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 10:21:41 PM »
well I'm gonna rebuild my computer and be back online in like a week.
I'm gonna start off fresh and use new names and passwords.
My new name on avast! will probably be something related to timothy... something...something

bye for now,

tim ;D

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 10:22:57 PM »
oops another thing where can I get a router/firewall? and what is a router/firewall? thnks all,
tim

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 10:50:41 PM »
1)Will my antispyware remove spyware finely even if Spyware Blaster is installed?
Sure! No need to further discussion about this.

2) where can I get my hands on a firewall/router? whatever that is
If you want a 'hardware' firewall, probably you should google first for models and/or go shopping!  8)
For sofwares ones, just search the board for 'firewall' and you'll find a lot of information.
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 10:54:06 PM »
pywareBlaster never ever removed any spyware... it is prevention software, not healing software. You install it, update it's definitions, and it keeps you protected from incomming nasties from the internet... of course, you have to update all modules, for IE, as well as for Mozilla/Firefox.

Here is a router/firewall definition:

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci212924,00.html

You can get one in any computer store, even in Staples... It's a hardware component that goes right in between your modem and your PC.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 11:00:21 PM »
hey is it okay to have a hardware firewall and a software firewall together? will they conflict? I'm gonna try smooth wall it turns your PC into a hardware firewall!

thnks,
tim

inconnu

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 12:11:23 AM »
Quote from: Yinyang4evry1
hey is it okay to have a hardware firewall and a software firewall together? will they conflict?

Sure it's okay, I think that's the best thing.  A good software firewall catches any outgoing (and serves as a backup to catch anything undesirable which your router lets through, which should be nothing), while the router/firewall is excellent protection against inbound attacks.

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 02:06:02 AM »
hey have you heard of smoothwall? it's on www.smoothwall.org
and can that serve as my 'hardware' firewall? it states that it will turn my computer into a 'hardware' firewall

greets,

tim ;D

MFB

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2005, 02:28:55 AM »
and can that serve as my 'hardware' firewall? it states that it will turn my computer into a 'hardware' firewall

greets,

tim ;D

Heard about that firewall before but not much.   Hardware and Software Firewall shouldn't conflict but should give you multilayer  protection.  Only two or more firewalls install in your PC will conflict.  Hardware Firewall is install only in your modem.  I hope this and other replies help you answer your question.   

Now about Spyware Blaster: just to make sure you're not confuse about it, Spyware Blaster is not like any other antispyware programs; it does not scan your PC for any spyware that has already been downloaded, however, Spyware Blaster does prevent most Spywares and dangerous Active X controls from downloading into your PC from using IE or Firefox.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 02:37:50 AM by FIXER »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 02:42:56 AM »

greets,

tim ;D

Please read those articles carefully... it's not gonna turn your computer into firewall... you need another computer, and that's very causy if you have some spare old machine. That way, you can fill it up with Smoothwall software and turn it into good firewall... If you don't have another computer, it would be pretty stupid to go and buy one just because of that... and worst of all, that would be awfully ugly and huge router/firewall... also, Smoothwall is not that easy to set up... I'm talking about newbies in this area... it's better to start with one of those, plug'n'play thingies...

Go in some computer store and you can buy one of the best hardware routers/firewalls out there... D-Link DI-604 that I have, is around 29-35 dollars. Also, LinkSys routers are wonderful. And much much easier to set up than smoothwall, especially for router/firewall newbies like yourself... no hard feelings, but I'm giving you best possible advices... I don't want to see you unhappy later  ;)

Other thing... it is very recommended to have both... hardware as well as software firewall. One is great for some things, and another one would be great additional protection. I run both, and many other people do the same...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 02:46:22 AM by sZc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

darth.mikey

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005, 12:28:26 PM »
Well, to catch those up that don't know, it was heard that Spware Blaster prevented spyware from being removed from your computer. So, for the last few days, I've been offline and testing that statement. I restored some of my quarantined spyware and scanned while Spyware Blaster was active. The antispyware removed it fine, without any problems. It did state about not removing spyware on the web site itself, but I think they meant that the program Spyware Blaster doesn't remove spyware that's already on your computer. But I need to know who agrees with me or not, so that I can look into the issue. I mean, I really don't want the hassle to uninstall Spyware Blaster everytime I want to scan and remove spyware. Thanks all! =)

greets,

tim
You just don't get it do you.Let me give you an example i had some spyware on my computer(didn't know it at the time) and then installed spywareblaster(the spyware was on my comp BEFORE i installed spywareblaster) . I ran my  spyware cleaners  which found  the spyware  and supposedly removed it.So the next day when i restarted the pc i ran the spyware cleaners again and they found  the same spyware  on my comp as the other day and again it was supposed to be removed so i restarted it again ran the cleaners and it was back(surprise) so i checked on  the net what could be the problem and found the solution which was to uninstall spywareblaster clean the pc and reinstall it again.So i removed spywareblaster restarted the pc cleaned it restart it and again scanned and no spyware was  found(so it was gone completely) and then i reinstalled spywareblaster scanned(you see now how much trouble i had) my pc and it was clean.Now this doesn't mean that  when you get spyware on your pc you have to unninstall spywareblaster to be able to remove it what it means is that  it is possible that if you install spywareblaster on an infected pc which already has spyware installed  on it is possible that you won't be able to get rid of it unless you remove spywareblaster and when the spyware is cleaned you can put it back on but if you install it on a clean pc and then get spyware on it  you're cleanears will  be able to get rid of it.I hope this is clear enough for you now  ;)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 12:32:40 PM »
Yes I can confirm that from experience on my sister in laws computer.  Ensure that you are spyware free before you install spywareblaster.  Once installed your infections will go down to near zilch, haven't had to clean hers' in a while now