Author Topic: Avast Firefox add-on crashes Firefox when an email link is followed  (Read 2990 times)

REDACTED

Firefox started crashing a while ago quite frequently (1) when it was not visible and (2) whenever I followed a URL link in an email message (through Thunderbird).  I methodically disabled Firefox add-ons and finally found that the problem went away when I disabled the avast add-on (9.0.2021.112).  Is this a known bug?  Will there be a fix?  Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Firefox add-on crashes Firefox when an email link is followed
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 02:53:01 PM »
Did you import the avast certificate in Thunderbird?
If not, please do so and see if that solves things.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 02:29:22 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.*  I'm not sure whether the avast certificate has been imported into Thunderbird.  Looking at the Thunderbird Certificate Manager/Authorities, it shows "avast! Mail Scanner Root".  Is this the certificate you're referring to?  If not, where do I look for the correct one?  Also, I looked at Firefox certificates and there is no listing for avast.  Should there be?  Thanks.

*Sorry for the delay (and duplicate postings).  When I tried to post yesterday all I got was a"waiting for...." message at the bottom of the screen, and then ultimately a blank screen.  I wasn't aware the postings went through.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 02:33:22 AM »
Don't worry about the double posting.
It happens more lately.

Yes, you got the correct certificate.

I suggest installing avast 2015 RC3 and see if that solves the problem.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 07:46:17 PM »
Is Avast 2015 in beta?  I don't see anything about it on the Avast website.  (I have the latest 2014 version, 2014.0.0.2021.)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 02:36:14 AM »
I updated to Avast 2015 and re-enabled the Avast Firefox add-on.  However the first time I followed a link in an email message Firefox crashed.  I've now disabled the add-on once again.

(I *think* I can do without the add-on, since I have the Web Of Trust (WOT) add-on enabled and I *think* it does much the same as what the Avast add-on does.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:43:03 AM by boffent »