Author Topic: Cannot Log In At Windows Boot  (Read 7325 times)

REDACTED

Cannot Log In At Windows Boot
« on: November 08, 2014, 10:38:10 AM »
Old Laptop is fading out.  New (refurbished) one, bought with Windows 7 preinstalled (no disk), works fine but tells me that I need to go online and get a virus protection program, ASAP.  I figure another Premiere account for 50 bucks or whatever but Avast tech support tells me to just reuse the existing license, which I recently renewed, and I do so, updating 2015 Free and rebooting on command.

No login.  I can mouse click on the window but I can't get a single letter to type into it.

I call Avast Tech Support back and they say:  "Known issue (multiple virus protections in conflict), easy fix, 15-20 minutes to go in behind windows, strip everything out and try again."

And then, the bombshell:  "120 dollars for a warranteed, 1-time, fix.  Or 180 for a year's service."

For fifteen minutes of work.  And there's not even any romantic music or a cuddle afterwards.

Just.  No.

If you are disabled living on less than a 800 dollars a month, you cannot throw 120 bucks after 250 for a new computer.  Not if you want to eat, have lights and running water while keeping the landlord from pounding on your door.

So I come here because nothing in my new laptop's bootup menu says: 'safe mode'.  Is there an F-## way to make an Elitebook play nice or do I now have a fine paperweight?  And if I already have a functional virus protection, why did Windows specifically tell me I didn't?  :o >:(

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Cannot Log In At Windows Boot
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 12:56:52 PM »
OK so effectively the keyboard and mouse does not work but it boots ok, is that correct ?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 09:07:58 PM »
Essexboy,

>>
OK so effectively the keyboard and mouse does not work but it boots ok, is that correct ?
>>

Sort've.  I have a USB Mouse which does work.  The Mousepad does not.  I can use the mouse cursor to open a blankspot in the Windows Password login window, complete with a blinking prompt.  But the keyboard doesn't work.

I can hit ESC to bring up a series of boot diagnostics options but none of them explicitly says 'Safe Mode' and I don't see anything which looks like it should do the trick.  At the password prompt, the little virtual sidebuttons which cue restart and shut down all work too, under mouse click.

My machine worked _just fine_ for several days before the installation of Avast Free 2015.  It worked after 2015 installed.  It did not work on a commanded reboot with the licensing upgrade to Avast Premiere.

Thank You for your help.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 10:00:51 PM »
There was a minor bug found

To get into safe mode as soon as you turn the computer on press and hold F8
This should bring up the safe mode menu
Select safe mode with networking (keyboard and mouse should now work)
Then do the following :

Download Avast Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Run the uninstall tool and accept the reboot to safe mode
  • Once complete reboot your system
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 10:04:03 PM »
Problem (seems to be) solved in the latest version(s) of avast.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 10:05:16 PM »
Aye that is the one I linked to Eddy :)

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »
Essexboy,

No success.  Safe Mode.  Safe Mode With Networking.  Safe Mode With Command Prompt.

Nothing types into the text window.

Nothing.

While you're cogitating, let me tell you a story.

I also went to the HP tech support forums with the same question.  One of their "I am an employee of HP but my opinions don't reflect the company line" labeled trouble shooters said he/she/it would be happy to help me.

The entities' immediate suggestion was that I use my USB Keyboard (with a standalone tower, donated by a charity, not a registered HP product) to log in.

Which I found to be remarkable insightful, bordering on prescient, because I had never told this entity that I had a USB Keyboard.  Never mentioned it online.  Do not use my tower for internet browsing (am not using it now).

Completely creeped me out.

If I use my USB Keyboard, what is the likelihood of there being some kind of virus in the firmware?

Can you please give me some alternatives?

Thank You.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 01:54:27 AM »
Did you try the USB keyboard ?

Avast said they fixed this problem is latest version....but perhaps not for all folks....or you never got to install the latest build....hard to tell from the thread. As FYI, here was the temp solution (prior to new release) on how others got theirs to work..... https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=159132.0   .....of course they were able to uninstall Avast first.

If you tried the USB keyboard and still no luck then perhaps Essexboy has way to get rid of Avast to allow you to retry.
If you want to take the effort to do this go to this thread and scroll down to section where is says if you can't boot your PC.
I know you can "boot" but the idea is for Essexboy to get copy of the FRST log.
With this info he may be able to help.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:24:27 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 02:24:09 AM »
The Kochs,

Thank You for the LINK.  I see from reading that it has happened on more than just Toshiba laptops and upgrading seems to work okay with the 30 day trial version but not the Freeware.

Until I know that I can use my USB Keyboard or find some other means to get past the password login screen, I am stuck.

I seriously want to know how HP knew I had a USB keyboard when I didn't tell them about it.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 02:25:29 AM »
Try your USB keyboard please....the HP guy probably just guessed you had another keyboard lying around (most people do...I have stack of them)....and that obviously the keyboard on the laptop (which also ties to the touch pad) was not working.  My guess is his thoughts is that the USB keyboard would use a generic Windows driver if plugged in and get you working.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:46:34 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

SOLUTION
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 09:10:53 PM »
Update: Please read last post of this thread.........should work for you to login and then start the clean un/reinstall process.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=159776.0
In summary use the O/S on-screen keyboard.
To open the OSK from the sign-in screen, tap or click the Ease of Access button in the lower-left corner of the sign-in screen, and then tap or click On-Screen Keyboard. From there obviously use your moue to select login PW keys
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:20:57 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

Re: SOLUTION
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 01:20:17 AM »
The Kochs & Essexboy,

Greetings and salutations!  :-]

Do you know what computer I am typing this message on?

Oh yeah...beagle happy dance.

Thank you both, especially you TK, that trick with the virtual keyboard was a real relief for me, I appreciate you going the extra mile.

A word to the wise:  When you are doing the deinstall, the AvastClear file likes to be in Safe Mode and will ask you for permission to reboot into it.  Should your Windows decide, at the moment of shutdown, to initiate a 155 element major update, then reboot itself for final configuration (2hrs later...), it will always fail that configuration check and enter an endless reversion-restart-configuration-fail-reversion loop.  Leaving you with a hard reboot as your only option.  That was not a pleasant moment.

Gee Thanks Mr. Gates for these ambush upgrades with No Way To Delay.

At any rate, I now have a working Avast and I owe it to you folks.  Scholars and Gentlemen, there are not many of you left.  Have a great evening.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 01:36:46 AM »
Glad it worked out........wish I could take credit for the OSK idea but it was not mine.
I'll give credit where credit is due........ @propheticus
I learned something in the process too.

BTW, yes....seen that happen with Windows updates and Avast.....think I recall some threads on it in past.
If you think about it........all these "A/Vs" (not just Avast) by nature of what they do are very intrusive in the O/S.
Thus, mixing O/S changes and install/uninstall A/V changes at same time is never good.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 05:47:09 AM »
thekochs@ please don't change topic titles, this is regarded as very rude and it's not your topic to modify regardless of whether you have the ability to do so.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 05:03:58 PM »
thekochs@ please don't change topic titles

OK...understood......don't necessarily agree but I'll comply.My only intent was to allow resolutions posted to be easily found.

Anyway, to that regard I do have a suggestion.......once the OP issue is solved then the original Forum title should have [SOLVED] put in the front of the subject line by the moderator and the thread closed.  This would sure help pointing people with similar issues to resolution and/or for people doing searches that see tons of threads on the subject could then zero in on the one that resolves the item.
Just a suggestion.....many other Forums have this practice/protocol.