Author Topic: Webshield blocking everything  (Read 2695 times)

REDACTED

Webshield blocking everything
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:41:49 PM »
I'm running an HP laptop with Windows 8, and connect to the internet over my homes wifi. I use Chrome usually, but occasionally my wife used IE because a couple of her coupon sites don't work in Chrome.
I was on my banks website this past Sunday, paying bills, and went to open another tab to look at my Paypal account.
The Paypal website wouldn't open.
Then when I tried to navigate to a different page on the other tab, it stopped responding.
First thing I think is I got hacked, or got a virus, and now someone has my bank account and Paypal info...

So after spending way too much time running virus scans (didn't find anything new) and on the phone with my internet provider, and figuring out that I actually was connected to the net, I was stumped.

After much poking around, I decided to try turning off any firewalls or virus shields I had running. It turns out the Webshield is pretty much blocking everything. Turned it off, and I can surf the net like always...
I don't want to have to enter all of the websites I want to allow access to.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Webshield blocking everything
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »
Update to the latest version and the problem is likely solved.
Sound to me it is a issue with https scanning.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=166576.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 02:45:56 PM »
what avast version?
what firewall?

you may try delete all avast rules in your firewall, reboot and create new when firewall ask

and you have removed any previous used AV or factory installed AV using that vendors removal tool
hp computers usually come preinstalled with Norton

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:13:45 PM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 03:21:25 PM »
If the web shield is supposedly 'blocking everything' the most common cause is something blocking the web shield, as Pondus suggests, a firewall.

Does your firewall allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security