Author Topic: ports/firewall  (Read 2861 times)

john R

ports/firewall
« on: October 02, 2005, 11:23:38 PM »
hi all im not so good with this stuff yet but can you open ports through avast i just have the free 4.6 home edition.
the reason i ask is i use a file shering program called Emule when i test my ports it always fails. win xp has its own fire wall it is disabeled

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: ports/firewall
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 11:52:53 PM »
John, avast does not open or block ports. It's not a firewall. It's an antivirus.
eMule uses the protocols TCP and UDP and avast! WebShield provider just scan the HTTP protocol.
You can set the P2P provider of avast to scan eMule.
So, the problem of your 'closed' eMule ports is not due to avast!
The best things in life are free.

Klavier

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 12:05:34 AM »
You can "search" in your start/programs and look if you have a firewall (zonealarm, sygate, kerio, outpost, mcafee or norton are the most commonly used). Also, if you are using windows XP, maybe the firewall that comes with windows is blocking your emule. The best thing to do is to turn windows firewall off (look in control panel/firewall), and install a firewall like kerio.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 12:07:10 AM by Klavier »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 02:58:37 AM »
Also, if you are using windows XP, maybe the firewall that comes with windows is blocking your emule.
Most probably. Windows Firewall does exactly this...

The best thing to do is to turn windows firewall off (look in control panel/firewall), and install a firewall like kerio.
Other option is let the things like they are and just allow eMule to connect into Windows Firewall settings.

But, in fact, a P2P application without a firewall is a very danger situation  :o
The best things in life are free.