Author Topic: Outlook 2003 crashing  (Read 11065 times)

debegray

Outlook 2003 crashing
« on: October 04, 2005, 04:18:07 AM »
Hi there,

I just installed Avast. I use Outlook 2003 with Windows XP Pro. Unfortunately whenever Outlook goes to collect mail now, it crashes.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Outlook 2003 crashing
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 04:33:52 AM »
Do you have any other antivirus in your system?
If you disable avast! plugin for Outlook, will it work?
The best things in life are free.

debegray

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 01:03:23 PM »
The plugin doesn't seem to be enabled, although the splash screen does come up. I checked the About for Outlook and I didn't see anything about Avast! and it doesn't show up when you click on "Disabled Items."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 01:23:28 PM by debegray »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 02:20:10 PM »
The plugin doesn't seem to be enabled, although the splash screen does come up. I checked the About for Outlook and I didn't see anything about Avast! and it doesn't show up when you click on "Disabled Items."
Strange.

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

debegray

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 02:32:44 PM »
I tried both - no change. I think Avast! did disable the reading pane, so it had some effect on Outlook. Do I need to change the settings manually?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 02:42:51 PM »
I tried both - no change. I think Avast! did disable the reading pane, so it had some effect on Outlook. Do I need to change the settings manually?
avast does not change Outlook own settings...
What do you mean by reading pane?

Do you have any other antivirus installed? Had in the past?

debegray

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 03:13:47 PM »
I had AVG installed, but I uninstalled it and then checked the Registry to make sure there wasn't anything left of it.

I do have SpamBayes on Outlook.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 03:23:15 PM »
I had AVG installed, but I uninstalled it and then checked the Registry to make sure there wasn't anything left of it.
It could be the problem as AVG has a dedicated Outlook scanner. Is it shown into the Outlook plugins?

I do have SpamBayes on Outlook.
Does it check the email received by Outlook?
If so, can you disable and change your account settings to the default and test?

Does avast! Mail service is allowed to connect into your firewall settings?

debegray

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 03:36:58 PM »
No, there are no plugins shown there. SpamBayes checks the email and then routes it to a junk email folder if appropriate.

I just disabled SpamBayes and Outlook still crashed. I don't have a firewall on my compter - there's one on our router.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 06:40:38 PM »
Do you have Microsoft MSN Search Toolbar installed?

We have already informed Microsoft about problems with MSN Search Toolbar and avast! and they claim it should be already fixed by latest MS Office update. Updating MS Office does not seem to help on my machine, perhaps they are still trying to distribute their fix. Vlk will certainly know more.

debegray

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 07:51:55 PM »
I think that may have been the problem. I removed the MSN Search toolbar and so far there are no crashes.  :)

cptigloo_2000

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 09:39:05 AM »
Hello,

I had the same problem, outlook 2003 crashing. I've try to uninstall, reinstall everything [outlook (+ SP2), avast, msn toolbar,...]. I've try also to launch outlook in safe mode: outlook.exe /safe and it works.

In my case, outlook crash when i delete something : email, contact, appointment,... or when sending and receiving email. 2 month with the problem, 1 crash per minute...  :'( so I was working with outlook in safe mode.

But I finally find the solution: tools, options, other tab, advanced options, and there is the "gestionnaire de compléments" (I don't know in english, it's the button above the COM button). I've deselected the avast4, and now everything is running fine !!!  ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 09:49:52 AM »
Everything is running fine, but you have effectively disabled the avast Outlook plugin.

The problem is caused by a bug in MSN Search Toolbar. It should be fixed soon (MS says).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Peter Murch

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 11:19:41 AM »
How? :-\

Peter Murch

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 11:27:43 AM »
I have to go for a medical appointment, must go, I will contact later
Peter Murch