Author Topic: trying to scan a folder  (Read 1793 times)

REDACTED

trying to scan a folder
« on: April 18, 2015, 12:41:22 PM »
im trying to scan a folder
i hit right button, scan folder with avast
avast opens scan window. it says on top, analysis

there is absolutely nothing else going on that screen, its empty, its not even saying, analizing, it says analysis,,, so to tell you the truth, i dont even know if its doING something or not

i cant hear the hard disk doing nothing, the window its been open for like an hour and the foder is 300 megas or something

the only option is to scan the whole drive, that actually works, nothing else does

a nice error message woudl be awesome, a timeout, something, but its like you went and hired people from electronic arts and repurposed them to write your antivirus software, its so BAD it looks like something they would do

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Re: trying to scan a folder
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 01:05:21 PM »
Hi abuelita667, welcome to the forum :)

As you decribe it, it seems that there is something wrong. Try a repair of Avast! :

1) Start - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Avast! - Change.
2) Repair.
3) Follow the instructions.
4) Reboot.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: trying to scan a folder
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »
@ abuelita667
Note for the future, the context menu scan is the most thorough, so I wouldn't suggest using it on a folder with a large volume of data.

What are the type of files being scanned, installation files, archive/zip files, etc. ?
These would be unpacked so that the scan of the contents can be done, this may not show progress as the contents size when unpacked isn't known. It could also take some time.

Hopefully it is an issue which can be resolved by the avast Repair.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security