Author Topic: boot time scan prob  (Read 9176 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

smik

  • Guest
boot time scan prob
« on: November 11, 2003, 07:05:44 AM »
My problem is that at every boot I get an error message during the boot-time scan: "Launching record not found error:0"
Then is scans fine but every time i boot windows it scans now how do i fix this?



I would really like to completely get rid of the boot scan. It does go away when I uninstall Avast.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

doggeral

  • Guest
Re:boot time scan prob
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 09:02:22 AM »
Well if its not an obvious option in the program here is what I would do.  Generally programs that run prior to the Logon Screen booting in XP use a specific key (good ol' session manager).  

Browse to the following location in regedit

HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\Session Manager

on the right there will be a key labeled "BootExecute"  

Doubleclick that key and you should see at least the default value of "autocheck autochk *" which is scandisk.   Somewhere below that should be the path to avast (Alwil Software) with options (sorry I can't tell you what they would be or what the line will look like, bit i don't know however it should be obvious that it is avast) but anyway delete that entire line and you won't see it again.

This assumes you are on Windows XP.  

I'm sure the avast tech guys have an easier way to get it done, but I'm 90% confident that this will work for you.   Considering the 5% off chance you are not on XP you know 95% confident is where everyone wants to be :)


« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 09:05:38 AM by doggeral »

smik

  • Guest
Re:boot time scan prob
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 09:10:09 AM »
i'm on xp but what regedit util you use?

doggeral

  • Guest
Re:boot time scan prob
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 09:34:04 AM »
The one integrated in windows.

To start Regedit.exe

Click Start, and then click Run.
Type Regedit, and then click OK.


Oh and HKLM = Hkey Local Machine
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 09:38:44 AM by doggeral »

bbfi

  • Guest
Re:boot time scan prob
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2003, 09:57:22 PM »
Quote
My problem is that at every boot I get an error message during the boot-time scan: "Launching record not found error:0"
Then is scans fine but every time i boot windows it scans now how do i fix this?

I have the same problem and I have tried all of the fixes, but it still does it.  It's driving me crazy.   ???

Offline Vlk

  • Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • *
  • Posts: 11664
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:boot time scan prob
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2003, 10:24:00 PM »
You mean you really don't have the link to avast in the "BootExecute" multi-string value in HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\Session Manager ??

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

bbfi

  • Guest
Re:boot time scan prob
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2003, 11:04:51 PM »
Vlk,

Quote
You mean you really don't have the link to avast in the "BootExecute" multi-string value in HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\Session Manager ??
That's right.  I have BootExecute set to autocheck autochk * and no links to Avast at all.  I decided to delete the value of autocheck autochk *.  I than restarted my computer and the boot scan by Avast did not start.  I tried this a few times and no Avast boot scans.  Next I put the autocheck autochk * value back into the registry and rebooted my computer.  To my surprise, no Avast boot scan.  Any ideas why removing autocheck autochk * and then adding it again would fix the Avast boot scan problem?   ???

Well, anyway, I'm not being pestered by the boot scan anymore.   :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 11:32:18 PM by bbfi »

Offline Lisandro

  • Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
  • *
  • Posts: 67241
Re:boot time scan prob
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 03:24:45 AM »
bbfi, are you sure you have something like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"BootExecute"=hex(7):61,75,74,6f,63,68,65,63,6b,20,61,75,74,6f,63,68,6b,20,2a,  00,70,67,64,66,67,73,76,63,20,43,20,31,00,00

I mean, two zeros groups at the end but just one group between different applications?

NAV messed my Registry exactly with this, putting two groups of two zeros in the middle of the string  >:(

The best things in life are free.

bbfi

  • Guest
Re:boot time scan prob
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 07:24:29 PM »
Technical,

Quote
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"BootExecute"=hex(7):61,75,74,6f,63,68,65,63,6b,20,61,75,74,6f,63,68,6b,20,2a,  00,70,67,64,66,67,73,76,63,20,43,20,31,00,00

In my registry, BootExecute is not in hex.  It's a REG_MULTI_SZ Type and the data is just autocheck autochk *, nothing else.   ???

Ever since I deleted the data autocheck autochk *, rebooted, and added it back in, the computer starts up without the boot scan for Avast.  So all is well presently on my computer.   :D

Offline igor

  • Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
  • *
  • Posts: 11815
    • AVAST Software
Re:boot time scan prob
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 07:48:45 PM »
Well, Technical was trying to say that internally, the REG_MULTI_SZ items are stored as a group of null-terminated strings, terminated by a double null at the end of the whole group.
Some programs may "damage" the item by working incorrectly with the registry value (using REG_BINARY, instead of REG_MULTI_SZ, or something like that). Therefore, the state of the key will be "wrong" - the usual programs won't be able to work with it correctly.

In Win2000, there are 2 regedits: regedt32.exe (that shows the REG_MULTI_SZ as a list of items) and regedit.exe (that shows it as hex). In WinXP, however, there's only regedit. It seems to display the REG_MULTI_SZ strings as a list - so to see if anything is wrong "inside", you may have to export the key to a .reg file or something like that.
When you modify (clear) the key, the problem would probably go away... as you have encountered :)

bbfi

  • Guest
Re:boot time scan prob
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2003, 10:14:59 PM »
igor,

Thanks for that explanation.  You answered both of my questions, the one about the hex values and the one about why clearing the value and reentering it would work.   :D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 10:16:07 PM by bbfi »

Offline Lisandro

  • Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
  • *
  • Posts: 67241
Re:boot time scan prob
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 11:04:32 PM »
Well, Technical was trying to say that internally, the REG_MULTI_SZ items are stored as a group of null-terminated strings, terminated by a double null at the end of the whole group.
Some programs may "damage" the item by working incorrectly with the registry value (using REG_BINARY, instead of REG_MULTI_SZ, or something like that). Therefore, the state of the key will be "wrong" - the usual programs won't be able to work with it correctly.

In Win2000, there are 2 regedits: regedt32.exe (that shows the REG_MULTI_SZ as a list of items) and regedit.exe (that shows it as hex). In WinXP, however, there's only regedit. It seems to display the REG_MULTI_SZ strings as a list - so to see if anything is wrong "inside", you may have to export the key to a .reg file or something like that.
When you modify (clear) the key, the problem would probably go away... as you have encountered :)

Igor, you said what I did and want to  :-*
The best things in life are free.