Author Topic: Prompt to restart File Server? Um, no, never!  (Read 2209 times)

REDACTED

Prompt to restart File Server? Um, no, never!
« on: May 22, 2015, 04:29:13 PM »
I have installed Avast Endpoint Protection (free for education) on a Windows Server 2008 R2 file server that hosts some 500 roaming profiles for people in our organization.

When Avast Endpoint Protection finds an infected file in a user's network account, it moves the file to the Virus Chest, and then a prompt appears on the file server to restart now.

Sorry but a file server can not just simply restart every time a user file is quarantined, because everything in the organization suddenly grinds to a halt when the server goes down.

For speed purposes, network account documents are accessed directly over the wire from the server, so if the file server goes down, programs using those files will freeze or crash.

Our servers are up 99.999% of the time so this works great and has for years. I cannot now start suddenly rebooting every time Avast stumbles across a virus in a user's account.

How can I prevent Avast Endpoint Protection from ever prompting to suddenly restart the file server after a user file is sent to the Virus Chest? I do not see any specific option for this.

For the real time scan, these might possibly be related:
"Show a notification window when an action is taken."
"If necessary, perform the selected action after the next system restart."

Can Avast EP force a system restart by itself? If yes then I will be forced to disable the realtime scanner to prevent that, and only do periodic manual scans.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Prompt to restart File Server? Um, no, never!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 07:17:04 AM »
I have installed Avast Endpoint Protection (free for education)...
-> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=55.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0