Author Topic: Hitman Pro 2 English Manual  (Read 4473 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hitman Pro 2 English Manual
« on: November 18, 2005, 11:53:24 PM »
Hi forum folks,

Hitman Pro is a Dutch window-shell program for various well known anti-ad and anti-spyware programs. Here is the English manual to use the program. http://xthost.info/hitmanual/
In some countries the use of window-shells in programs may be prohibited, in the Netherlands this  use is allowed and  legal.

greets,

polonus

« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 12:25:09 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Mastertech

Re: Hitman Pro 2 English Manual
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 01:34:37 PM »
I am pretty sure this program is illegal, you cannot rebundle other authors software like that. Not to mention this program includes applications that need to have there pattern file updated manually,

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 02:18:14 PM »
Hi Mastertech,

In the Netherlands this program is not illegal, because all sorts of IT firms use it to keep customers free of spy- and adware. Yes in some countries it may be illegal because it uses a shell with closed software of a third party. I do not know if personal use of the program would be not legit. Very much doubt it. But the law is getting more and more restrictive towards the end-user with the Sony CD rootkit as a nasty exponent of this tendency. Resource hacking of closed software is almost  illegal, while resource hacking of certain open software is viewed upon as a talent or art even.

polonus

Mastertech

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 02:27:09 PM »
You cannot repackage someone elses software like this without legal permission and I see no proof they have any. I will have to talk to some of these companies and find out about this. Just because the Netherlands doesn't care about copyright laws doesn't mean they do not exist.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 02:46:29 PM »
Hi Mastertech,

Yes, I am very interested in what your findings will be. I think the bundling of free programs is not the problem here, if that is not exclusively prohibited in the Eulas of these programs. I think the nag lies here, and that is why the maker of Hitman Pro does not launch this very handy free software world-wide is that he uses part of Windows copyrighted shell software to do this. I asked the maker of the program about a comment on the Dutch ASO forum. Later I will tell what he replied.

See what other have said about these questions here:http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?s=541b1cdade2dfbe65cb8ef90fb56550b&showtopic=60707&pid=320446&st=0&#entry320446 & here: http://www.surfing-safe.com/spyware/hitmanpro.php
greets,

polonus
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 03:03:48 PM by polonus »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 03:23:52 PM »
Hi Mastertech,

It did not take long before the maker of Hitman Pro responded. He states he asked all the producers involved about their formal agreement, and got this.
He became a partner of Webroot and Nod32. Every time the user of Hitman Pro uses the program, he uses their official servers, nothing is changed.
In that respect Hitman Pro 2 on a windows platform does not do anything else than a Firefox or Flock browser does downloading a page (you do not get permission all the time you use the browser, and the use of it is not illegal or unethical for that matter). This seems reasonable, so you can use it., I think.

greets,

polonus