Author Topic: Pictures / images not loading on certain pages with Firefox  (Read 23090 times)

REDACTED

Pictures / images not loading on certain pages with Firefox
« on: September 05, 2015, 07:58:32 PM »
For the past few days, when I go to certain web pages, the images are not appearing.  Some examples are Yahoo's main page, Yahoo images search, and Flickr.  I use the latest version of Firefox and Avast free version.  If I temporarily disable Avast shields control, the pages load ok.  When I enable it, the web pages will not show images.  If I use Internet Explorer, the pages load ok with images. It's only been doing it recently and I haven't made any changes.  Thanks.

REDACTED

Re: Pictures / images not loading on certain pages with Firefox
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 08:04:54 PM »
I can confirm the same thing happening when I view Yahoo's home page. Turn off web shield and the images load just fine. This has been happening for the last 2 days using Avast Free 10.3.2225 on Win 7.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »
I can confirm the same thing happening when I view Yahoo's home page. Turn off web shield and the images load just fine. This has been happening for the last 2 days using Avast Free 10.3.2225 on Win 7.

The preference would be not to turn of the web shield, disable HTTPS scanning (avastUI > Settings > Active Protection > Web Shield > Customize - disable HTTPS scanning. That is a minimal action rather than completely disabling web shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 08:41:18 PM »
I'm having the same problem with Yahoo not loading images until the shileds are turned off.  Any suggestions?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 08:57:34 PM »
I'm having the same problem with Yahoo not loading images until the shileds are turned off.  Any suggestions?

Read my post above yours again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 08:58:22 PM »
Same thing here with both my laptops using Avast.  The Yahoo home page images on Firefox and Chrome are missing.  So frustrating.  It just started a few days ago.  I really need to know how to fix.  I've had Avast for over 10 years...never had this problem before. 

I did as the above poster suggested - disabled the HTTPS scanning.  It worked which is good.  Is it OK that the scanning is disabled???
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:09:08 PM by lmw »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 09:01:06 PM »
Isn't anyone reading the previous posts, you will find that disabling HTTPS scanning would have the desired effect.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 09:04:29 PM »
Isn't anyone reading the previous posts, you will find that disabling HTTPS scanning would have the desired effect.

Thanks DavidR, that worked.  For some reason your post wasn't visible when i was typing mine.  Do you know why HTTPS caused this and would disabling it have any negative outcomes?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:06:11 PM by hotzpacho »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 09:22:44 PM »
There was an issue with XP and the work around to be able to Scan HTTPS pages, but for win7 and later windows has the API required to achieve this.

Initially it was only those on XP that seemed to be experiencing this, though for some reason I didn't on this system (see signature), but now we (avast users on the forums) are seeing more win7 users having this issue. My circumstances are much changed as I'm on the latest beta stream and we had to program updates in a day, the second one I shouldn't have got (restricted on XP systems). I think some of the updates for vista and higher may well have screwed my previously stable beta build. So I can't really offer a suggestion as to why this is happening.

Again it is weird in that on my win7 netbook I'm not experiencing this, my only issue is this netbook is so underpowered everything takes ages and this is now spreading to browsing.

This really is a workaround as Disabling HTTPS is by far more preferable than disabling the web shield as that still scans HTTP pages.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
There was an issue with XP and the work around to be able to Scan HTTPS pages, but for win7 and later windows has the API required to achieve this.

Initially it was only those on XP that seemed to be experiencing this, though for some reason I didn't on this system (see signature), but now we (avast users on the forums) are seeing more win7 users having this issue. My circumstances are much changed as I'm on the latest beta stream and we had to program updates in a day, the second one I shouldn't have got (restricted on XP systems). I think some of the updates for vista and higher may well have screwed my previously stable beta build. So I can't really offer a suggestion as to why this is happening.

Again it is weird in that on my win7 netbook I'm not experiencing this, my only issue is this netbook is so underpowered everything takes ages and this is now spreading to browsing.

This really is a workaround as Disabling HTTPS is by far more preferable than disabling the web shield as that still scans HTTP pages.

it's back to missing images for some reason.  I'm going to test it for a few hours and get back to you
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 11:13:44 PM by hotzpacho »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 11:43:33 PM »

it's back to missing images for some reason.  I'm going to test it for a few hours and get back to you

Yes I have just uninstalled the latest beta for the latest regular release 10.3.2225, that version was previously working for me even on Yahoo.com. but now even that is having image issues with HTTPS scanning enabled.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 11:57:07 PM »
I'm having the same problem on my windows 8.1 computer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 12:00:26 AM »
It becomes even more weird, even though I have disabled HTTPS scanning in the Web Shield settings - stopped and restarted the web shield - it continues to scan HTTPS pages, but the images are loaded in Yahoo.com.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 12:00:37 AM »
I tried disabling the HTTPS scanning and it's working so far.  Nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue.  Thanks for the input.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 12:04:09 AM »
You're welcome, lets hope avast come up with a solution quickly.