Author Topic: How to Remove the Avast "Virus-Free" Guarantee Showing in Gmail E-mails?  (Read 30718 times)

REDACTED

November 9, 2015

Since the 11.1.2241 version, dated 11.3.2015, all of my outgoing G-mail contains this wording, along with the official AVAST logo at the bottom of each e-mail.

"This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
www.avast.com
"

QUESTION:  How do I disable this wording? It implies that I'm guaranteeing my e-mails to be virus free.  Not comfortable sending this to friends, relatives and the government agencies I work with.  I don't even have the Avast e-mail scanning module installed.  I need to remove this Avast signature wording, or at least be to edit, to make it more accurate.   Thanks in advance for any guidance.

-Allen in Chicago

REDACTED

Re: How to Remove the Avast "Virus-Free" Guarantee Showing in Gmail E-mails?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 07:06:23 AM »
I am having this issue as well, but instead of a logo and such, I see a bunch of gibberish. I have had a number of very important emails bounce back or get filed to spam because of this. A way to disable this unwelcome addition is needed, as otherwise I may be forced to find another antivirus solution. >:(

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »
Not a good thing at all.... which is why I prefer to wait a while to see what's up with new updates.  ;)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 10:11:21 AM »
Hi, please go to settings / mail shield / Customize / Behavior / Insert notes into Clean messages to disable this.

Offline kroupa

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 11:08:06 AM »
Hi, try to delete WebShieldSgn.htm (C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\1033\WebShieldSgn.htm). To ensure that the file will not be restored in a future, create folder with the same name.
To do it, you must disable Avast self-defense - Avast UI / Settings / Troubleshooting / Enable Avast self-defense module must be unchecked. Don't forgot to enable the self-defense again after creating the folder.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 11:11:13 AM »
Not a good thing at all.... which is why I prefer to wait a while to see what's up with new updates.  ;)
Hmmm... Not fair from your side. This setting was there since Avast v4, and, always, it was side by side with an option to disable it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 11:13:01 AM »
Hi, try to delete WebShieldSgn.htm (C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\1033\WebShieldSgn.htm). To ensure that the file will not be restored in a future, create folder with the same name.
To do it, you must disable Avast self-defense - Avast UI / Settings / Troubleshooting / Enable Avast self-defense module must be unchecked. Don't forgot to enable the self-defense again after creating the folder.
Won't this interfere with Avast auto checking its integrity while updating/upgrading?
The option, once checked, should not return. Are you experiencing any trouble with it?
The best things in life are free.

Offline kroupa

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 12:20:59 PM »
Won't this interfere with Avast auto checking its integrity while updating/upgrading?
The option, once checked, should not return. Are you experiencing any trouble with it?
It will not interfere as WebShieldSgn.htm is not part of Avast setup (otherwise it would).

Offline kroupa

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »
I am having this issue as well, but instead of a logo and such, I see a bunch of gibberish. I have had a number of very important emails bounce back or get filed to spam because of this. A way to disable this unwelcome addition is needed, as otherwise I may be forced to find another antivirus solution. >:(

Hi Darus, what language is sent in Avast UI (Settings / General / Language)?

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 12:48:37 PM »
Everything is set for english, and the mail shield is not even installed (so the option to turn off the footer is not even available).

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 12:51:23 PM »
First screenshot...before changing the settings in mail shield.
Second screenshot...........after changing the settings in mail shield.

Offline kroupa

• Avast team
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »
Everything is set for english, and the mail shield is not even installed (so the option to turn off the footer is not even available).
Hmm... Does C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\1033\WebShieldSgn.htm contain some meaningfull text or the gibberish you see in emails?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 03:26:10 PM »

This has been in the avast Mail Shield for as long as I can remember - this didn't change in avast 2016 - so nothing to do with new updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 04:17:06 PM »
This extra message has appeared on some of my emails going out via 'smtp.googlemail.com'.
"Avast | Download Free Antivirus for PC, Mac & Android..."

Is it related to what's being reported here?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 04:32:36 PM »

lukor

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:11:21 AM »

Hi, please go to settings / mail shield / Customize / Behavior / Insert notes into Clean messages to disable this.

This does work.