Author Topic: Avast signature showing up in my emails? Also Avast Internet Security & Safepric  (Read 23406 times)

REDACTED

Hi, the other day I hopped on mozilla and logged into gmail to send an email. When it was sent I noticed that now there is an Avast signature in my emails. How did that happen? I logged in from my browser, I don't have like an automated email thing. I have Avast Internet Security.

Also, the next time I started mozilla I had it ask me about two new addons, Avast Online Security and Avast Safeprice. What are these, and are they something I should enable? They're disabled right now. Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
1. Avast now monitors web mail as well as normal email.

The settings are in the Mail Shield - avastUI > Settings > Active Protection > Mail Shield > Customize > Behaviour - uncheck the unwanted options.

2. The Avast Online Security (AOS) has been around for some time previously called WebRep - it monitors sites you visit against reputation, phishing, etc.

3. The SafePrice used to be part of AOS, but is now available as an individual add-on - I don't use it but is like a price comparison. They have to have permission (what firefox is asking) if you don't want them reject them.

Personally I don't use either.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline stibi

And I see no reason to check outgoing EMails on a protected computer.
On mail clients like Thunderbird there are time-out problems reported in this cases. I myself had those troubles ...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:04:41 AM by stibi »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
On mail clients like Thunderbird there are time-ot problems reported in this cases. I myself had those troubles ...

What if you aren't actually sending them out, but they are going out. It doesn't necessarily have to be coming from thunderbird to be scanned.

The Mail Shield could be your first indication of an undetected or hidden spambot.

Offline R. Hansen

1. Avast now monitors web mail as well as normal email.

The settings are in the Mail Shield - avastUI > Settings > Active Protection > Mail Shield > Customize > Behaviour - uncheck the unwanted options.

I do not have the mail shield installed and it is adding this message to my gmails. Are you telling me that I have to install the mail shield to get access to the settings? Mail shield is a useless addon that causes problems with my email programs. I have left it out of my installation.
Windows 10 Pro 1709 (16299.371) x64, 16 GB RAM, Core i5-4670, Nvidia GTX 1080 397.31 drivers, Avast 18.3.2333

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I have answered your own topic - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=179316.0 - essentially referring you to my Reply #1 above.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
If the mail shield would be useless, avast would not have wasted time/money/resources on developing it.

Offline R. Hansen

If the mail shield would be useless, avast would not have wasted time/money/resources on developing it.

I find it to be worse than useless. The proxy causes problems with my mail programs. I think email shields are included because that is the expectation of an anti-virus product, not because they are actually necessary to system security. YMMV.
Windows 10 Pro 1709 (16299.371) x64, 16 GB RAM, Core i5-4670, Nvidia GTX 1080 397.31 drivers, Avast 18.3.2333

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

I find it to be worse than useless. The proxy causes problems with my mail programs. I think email shields are included because that is the expectation of an anti-virus product, not because they are actually necessary to system security. YMMV.

As I mentioned in Reply #5 above.

The Mail Shield could be your first indication of an undetected or hidden spambot.

There are many instances of this in the viruses and worms sub-forum. Not sure what those proxy settings are that are causing the problem, but if you want to create another topic on the problem we will try to help.

Offline stibi

On mail clients like Thunderbird there are time-ot problems reported in this cases. I myself had those troubles ...

What if you aren't actually sending them out, but they are going out. It doesn't necessarily have to be coming from thunderbird to be scanned.
Maybe. But I had serious problems when Avast was allowed to check outgoing mails. I got time-outs from my mail provider, and had to turn that function off.

And - if my malware program checks all files, all write processes in the file system - which source should send EMails?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
mail is using a entirely different protocol than you use when submitting/receiving files.
Checking (mail)files does not say a thing about the mail content.

Not using the mailshield is like locking all doors in the house, but leaving a window open.

If you want security you need to set it up in the best possible way or it would be useless.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

Maybe. But I had serious problems when Avast was allowed to check outgoing mails. I got time-outs from my mail provider, and had to turn that function off.

And - if my malware program checks all files, all write processes in the file system - which source should send EMails?

Did you not read the bit about Hidden/Undetected malware that you conveniently left out of your quote. Detections aren't 100% guaranteed on any AV.
Quote from: DavidR

REDACTED

On mail clients like Thunderbird there are time-out problems reported in this cases. I myself had those troubles ...
Hi, if I use Thunderbird to send a mail, it would be two mails in outbox, one is the original and another with Avast signature, do you have the same trouble? This problem olny be seen after my Avast upgrade to 11.1.2241