Author Topic: Ten Commandments  (Read 20248 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Ten Commandments
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 10:30:15 PM »
Hey ReVaN, I've quoted David and answered (commented) David's post...
You and I never browse as a root in Linux, so  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 12:05:02 AM »
As revan said, I was making a point, that a Linux user shouldn't browse whilst logged on as root, so a windows XP (or NT based OS) shouldn't browser whilst logged on as an administrator.

This to counter a paranoia claim of using DropMyRights, it being nothing other than a sensible precaution that a windows user can take, just as a Linux users wouldn't browse whilst logged on as root.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 03:30:28 AM »
I only have one account on my computer but I do most of my browsing utilizing "drop my rights"
Since it's such a simple thing to set up and even easier to use, I  thought it foolish not to implement.
Although I may not visit adult sites, there are other places where a little extra protection is prudent..... ;D ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 11:19:58 AM »
OK guys i droped my rights for my browser and email program everything seems to work OK so far....Any other program that i should drop his rights?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 12:04:24 PM »
Any other program that i should drop his rights?
If you want and they run ok, the IM and P2P ones (specially the last ones)  ;)

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 01:58:39 PM »

Hihi no IM programs on this pc(i am at work right now) and also no P2P programs here(ofcourse).But how would dropmyrights affect let's say Azureus?How would i be safer(i never got anything trough Azureus)?

P.S: If this discussion is boring anyone or you feel we strayed too much off-topic just let me know and i will gladly start a new thread... ;)

Cheers

Mikey

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 02:50:10 PM »
But how would dropmyrights affect let's say Azureus?How would i be safer(i never got anything trough Azureus)?
I don't know exactly but eMule has a specific option for that and you don't need to drop your rights as it does it internally, creating an account called C:\Documents and Settings\eMule_Secure

There should be a reason for the programmers to do that...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 03:16:56 PM »
Exactly, and why not integrate that function as an option in Internet Explorer and any other browser, or even while we are at that, to any other program that needs access to the internet from time to time ? As far as IE goes, it could be done as a part of simple security update from Microsoft updates web site.

I mean, it would spare eveyone installing this add-on (even though it's a question of few seconds and no hassle at all as I could read from the MSDN web page http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dncode/html/secure11152004.asp ) and creating shortcuts on the screen.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 04:06:51 PM »

Hihi no IM programs on this pc(i am at work right now) and also no P2P programs here(ofcourse).But how would dropmyrights affect let's say Azureus?How would i be safer(i never got anything trough Azureus)?
Theoretically any program that you connect to the internet could have a DropMyRights shortcut, provided that program doesn't have a requirement for administrator rights. Basically do as you have done with the browser and email, set it up and try it.

I suggest that you do a forum search for Azureus and timeout as it has a habit of using non standard ports whilst connecting to the internet, like using the SMTP port (25). This triggers the Internet Mail provider to scan it and because the content doesn't comply to email protocol (because it isn't an email) it often timesout.

The fact that you haven't got anything through Azureus, doesn't mean you never will, you don't know what the source is or its true content until you get it down. So should something get through it too could inherit administrator rights, unless you took the precaution of using DropMyRights or some other form of restricting user/program rights.

@ Tech and Sasha
Yes wouldn't it be great if all programs were to have a simple switch to restrict rights. Unfortunately there are many programs that insist on their program running with administrator rights (some games for instance).

MS Vista and IE7 I believe will be doing something about user rights and runtime program environment, where if you need administrator rights for something, you will need to input the administrator password.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2005, 04:06:59 PM »
Exactly, and why not integrate that function as an option in Internet Explorer and any other browser, or even while we are at that, to any other program that needs access to the internet from time to time ? As far as IE goes, it could be done as a part of simple security update from Microsoft updates web site.

I mean, it would spare eveyone installing this add-on (even though it's a question of few seconds and no hassle at all as I could read from the MSDN web page http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dncode/html/secure11152004.asp ) and creating shortcuts on the screen.

Good point Sasha... OK i still haven't received a direct answer to my question But how would dropmyrights affect let's say Azureus? and why is there so little people recomending DropMyRights?

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2005, 04:55:31 PM »
Theoretically any program that you connect to the internet could have a DropMyRights shortcut, provided that program doesn't have a requirement for administrator rights. Basically do as you have done with the browser and email, set it up and try it.

I suggest that you do a forum search for Azureus and timeout as it has a habit of using non standard ports whilst connecting to the internet, like using the SMTP port (25). This triggers the Internet Mail provider to scan it and because the content doesn't comply to email protocol (because it isn't an email) it often timesout.

The fact that you haven't got anything through Azureus, doesn't mean you never will, you don't know what the source is or its true content until you get it down. So should something get through it too could inherit administrator rights, unless you took the precaution of using DropMyRights or some other form of restricting user/program rights.

Hihi you beat me for a second there with your reply... Anyway so basically what you are saying is that Azureus is crap just because javaw.exe is creating timeouts in avast(BTW i'm not an avast user so i have no such problems)?I wonder why it's the most popular bittorrent client out there then(millions of users)...Also not every person running azureus and avast is having problems with timeouts just a small minority(i know Sasha doesn't have these problems).And could you stop saying azureus uses non standard ports(especially since you don't know the first thing about this program since you never used it) cause it's not true.Azureus uses only one port David and that's the one that the user sets up OK.There is something going on with javaw.exe and you are basically just guessing here why these timeouts are happening(so am i) nothing else...We need alwil here to tell us more about this issue since it's avast that is popping up these messages right(and i know this issue has been around for some time but nobody from alwil has commented on this, correct me if i am wrong)?

Cheers

Mikey

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2005, 05:09:19 PM »
Hey people, I know you will hate me, but I just had to...

Take a look in here, I made some icons, actually redesigned existing ones, so they look much more appropriate if you use those programs through DropMyRights...

Icon formats I made so far:

And this is how they look like when on the desktop, and also inside your Taskbar:

Little "S" sign on thsoe 16x16 pixels icons (for Taskbar) stands for SAFE, not for Sasha...  ;D

I hope you'll like them.. in case there is some general interest and people would like to have them, just let me know and I'll post a zip file (or 7-zip whatever you want) so it will be available for public.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 05:14:53 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2005, 05:13:34 PM »
Take a look in here, I made some icons
Where can we download them?  8) ;D ;)

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2005, 05:14:02 PM »
That's why we love you Sasha you always manage to bring a smile on our faces...  ;D
BIG THANKS!!!!![/color]

Cheers

Mikey

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2005, 05:16:13 PM »
Take a look in here, I made some icons
Where can we download them?  8) ;D ;)

I just edited my previous reply... see here:

...I hope you'll like them.. in case there is some general interest and people would like to have them, just let me know and I'll post a zip file (or 7-zip whatever you want) so it will be available for public...

Well, if people really want to use them, I will make some download link for you...