Author Topic: Avast Mobile Security for Android - 3rd party ads  (Read 10871 times)

REDACTED

Avast Mobile Security for Android - 3rd party ads
« on: April 10, 2016, 08:45:03 AM »
When I had Avast Free before, there wasn't any ads but now it's getting very annoying. I'm getting ads for Samsung+ and other products. I asked other users who own different devices such as iPhones, HTCs, BB, and many others and they're not getting intrusive advertising. I own a Samsung Galaxy S5 running 5.1 (it used to run the latest KitKat until Samsung forcefully updated it and I'm learning to deal with it.

My question is: How do I get rid of these intrusive ads from Avast Mobile Security for Android?

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast Mobile Security for Android - 3rd party ads
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 05:21:51 PM »
Hi, at the moment this is the only version of Avast Mobile Security that we offer. To be able to offer the app for free, we occasionally offer our customers, using our free protection, promotional offers from our partners. We do not want the ads to bother you, we really try to keep the amount of advertising on a non-intrusive level, so if you get them too often, please let me know more about the frequency.

However, there is no ad-free version at the moment (but we might consider it in the future).

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
Hi, at the moment this is the only version of Avast Mobile Security that we offer. To be able to offer the app for free, we occasionally offer our customers, using our free protection, promotional offers from our partners. We do not want the ads to bother you, we really try to keep the amount of advertising on a non-intrusive level, so if you get them too often, please let me know more about the frequency.

However, there is no ad-free version at the moment (but we might consider it in the future).

Is there any update concerning the ads that are present in Avast Mobile Security? I purchased a license for Avast for my PCs but it seems there is no way to remove the ads from the mobile version. I will not use it if this is the case. I hate seeing ads. I will pay for a premium version if it means the ads will be removed!

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 09:56:10 AM »
Hi cohbraz, unfortunately nothing new on this topic - we've had some other priorities so far. But I will forward your comment to the colleagues concerned.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 03:29:08 AM »
We do not want the ads to bother you, we really try to keep the amount of advertising on a non-intrusive level, so if you get them too often, please let me know more about the frequency.

This made me laugh. Have you actually ever used the app, Tereza? It is filled with ads and does little else now. No option to scan wifi for security, just a useless speed check toy. You cannot do anything in the app now without being bombarded by ads and nags.

If you guys are so greedy  now, why not release version 4 again (it was still a security app back then) and charge a one-off fee. You would make billions, I am sure. Version 5 is the sort of PUP Avasts apps used to get rid of!

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 09:57:57 PM »
What you are suggesting sounds nice, but things are not this easy. And I must disagree with you regarding the "does little else now" part - it works silently in the background, using the same virus definition library as version 4, so the protection is the same as before. You can also use it to block unwanted calls or lock apps.

However, you can roll back to version 4, if you want to (the virus definitions keep being updated, although the app itself is not being developed anymore) - just download it from http://bit.ly/206yzkf

Last but not least - the wifi speed check appears only after your wifi is scanned and no threat is found.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 03:24:23 AM »
the wifi speed check appears only after your wifi is scanned and no threat is found.

This just  not true, Tereza. THERE IS NO OPTION TO SCAN WIFI ONLY THE USELESS SPEED CHECK! Please bring it back as was promised by Tom

What you are suggesting sounds nice, but things are not this easy.

Well, millions of other app developers have no issue with providing full apps for a one off fee. I guess Avast's greed is even worse than is apparent. Such a shame that the company has lost its way like this.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:28:16 AM by Erebus »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 04:37:44 PM »
After doing the Speed Check scan, scroll down in the resulting window.  There you should find the security WiFi Scan.  You will also find it in the results window after doing a Smart Scan.

I do believe it should be more prominent and show as a primary choice.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 03:37:23 AM »
You will also find it in the results window after doing a Smart Scan.

I do believe it should be more prominent and show as a primary choice.

All I get are ads for Candy Crush and crap like that, the option to speed check again and other Avast add-ons etc. Nowhere does it give me the option to scan wifi network unless I uninstall/re-install. What a joke. Why remove a default security option and replace it with an inaccurate toy and a bombardment of ads? I think they need to expand their developer pool from kindergarten to a more senior level perhaps.

What happened to the trusted and serious AV/Security apps Avast used to offer? Are they gone forever now?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 04:24:52 PM »
WiFi security scan is available on my 3 Android devices.  I am running AMS v5.3.1 currently, but it was also available in previous versions.  If you can't find it, you have a bad install.

You do have to do one of the scans for it to appear.
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 03:17:48 AM »
You do have to do one of the scans for it to appear.

I cannot understand why they would make it so difficult to locate the wifi security option and yet have the useless speed check option popping up all over the place. It's almost like they don't really want us to have a secure connection. Maybe I'm just too old to understand why a so-called security app would remove the immediate availability of such an important security feature. There must be an answer somewhere, but it certainly escapes me! :)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 04:36:43 AM »
I don't disagree with you.  Did you finally find the WiFi security scan?

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 10:50:46 AM »
I was a Premium (paid) user and would gladly pay again for an ad-free version.

Please bring the Premium version back.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 03:25:37 AM »
I don't disagree with you.  Did you finally find the WiFi security scan?

Buried amongst all the adverts, but only after doing a device scan. Such crazy development of this app. I find the removal of features and addition of ads very concerning. :(

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 01:38:01 PM »
I've scanned wifi, apps, files multiple times a month for last several months and until i came across this searching for a way to stop avast from flagging saved wifi every few weeks/month, i didn't even know this app had ads. What gives, why am i not getting ads? (I know ironic someone using ads)