Author Topic: 1549 files unable to scan?  (Read 17708 times)

MaDonna

1549 files unable to scan?
« on: January 11, 2006, 10:49:55 PM »
I don't know what to do about the 1549 files Avast was unable to scan. I had some last week also, and just let it go. But I am sure I would have to do something with them. But I wanted to check with someone before I put them in Chest or Repair, or ?/

It did say i had 0 infections, so that was good!

Probably another dumb question, but...I am asking anyway. That is what forums are for.   ???

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: 1549 files unable to scan?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 11:28:08 PM »
If you use adaware or spybot sd they are probably quarantined files which cannot be read by any AV,  additionally they may be archive files that avast cannot unpack to check.  However once they are unpacked they will be scanned by avast.  If you can give the location of some of these unscanned files we will be able to give more help.  Welcome

MaDonna

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 11:36:51 PM »
I am running another scan and i would like to be able to take a screen shot of it when it is finished. Can you please tell me how to do that?

I have several spy programs so that is probably it, but if i can get a screen shot on that many files it would make it easier.

thanks

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 11:47:16 PM »
When the report is on screen hit the print screen on your keyboard, then open your image editor and paste, the image should appear.  Save as a jpeg to your desktop.  Navigate to http://imageshack.us/ upload the image and you will then get a link.  Copy that link and paste it on your next post

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 12:39:08 AM »
Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MaDonna

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 01:07:00 AM »
Well, I have the report on my screen, but I don't have a print screen on my keyboard. Tried to right click to save image, but of course that doesn't work either.
I used the lower slide to try to see all of the line, but it won't show up anymore.

Some of the items are Documents & Settings\Desktop and are bmp. and glyph.bmp

Half are Lavasoft-/bt (numerical number) bmp

A few mcafee\Agent\unins

WINDOWS\Fonts\flx  (one of these)

System32\DirectX\websetup  (one of these)

If you can give me further instructions to get a screen shot I will keep it up on my destop till I get a reply with further instructions.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 01:40:30 AM »
Do as I suggested with the housekeeping of old entries in AdAware, that will remove a lot of them.

The print screen button is in a block of three keys to the right of the function keys (F1, F2, etc.).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MaDonna

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 02:30:17 AM »
Grrrrrrrrr! I have hit the print scr a half dozen times and nothing!!!!

I tried to find the old files in Lavasoft and can't find them. I hate to appear so dumb, but apparently I am!

what do I do next?

MaDonna

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 02:35:49 AM »
Well, I went into the Ad Aware Quarantine and deleted everything old. So, that should help.

But I still need to know what to do with the other "stuff"! and how to get it so you can see what it is.

timcan

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 02:44:51 AM »
Hi MaDonna, you have the scan report up on the screen ,right? Now Press alt +prt scr(this will take a snapshot of just this window).You can close your report now and open paint program,click edit,paste should be in bold letters, click paste.Your report should be on screen now.Click file,save as(jpeg or png) .

MaDonna

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 03:09:16 AM »
Great...think i got it, now will see if i can get them into this post....

MaDonna

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 03:10:24 AM »
Well, I can see i didn't get them all. I will do another scan and save and post later. If you can tell me how to delete the ones that actually show. Be back later.

MaDonna

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 04:53:50 AM »
After I did another scan there were actaully several more that were unable to scan.(This was after I had deleted some of Ad Aware's quarantined items) I have more to show you but this will only take so many. Do I need to show you more? Or does this give you an idea of what I am doing here?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 10:20:06 AM »
I'm afraid you have to resize the first column first - so that the full path is visible (now, there's ... in the middle).

Anyway, files that are unable to scan are usually nothing to worry about - you should keep them as they are (if they are "password protected", for example, deleting them might corrupt functionality of some other applications that use them).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 05:04:32 PM »
Well a google search for glyph7.bmp returns similar scans returning password protected files related to aawpersonalse so it would appear that they are related to AdAware also. Why they are on the desktop folder in your case is strange. You may well have saved the adaware installation file on the desktop (or installed it directly from download), once installed you can get rid of the installation file from the desktop.

google search glyph7.bmp extract:
C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx xxxxxx\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\T9H28C0U\aawsepersonal-105[1].exe=>wise0023=>glyph7.bmp Password protected
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 05:06:45 PM by DavidR »