Author Topic: [fixed] Avast causes Blue Screen after Windows 10 Anniversary Update  (Read 101645 times)

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
Re: Avast causes Blue Screen after Windows 10 Anniversary Update
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »
Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with a clean Windows 10 Anniversary install crashed on me shortly after the Avast icon became visible on the taskbar.

Mind you a clean install.
Windows 10 Pro (1511) was it's previous version and Avast! was fine -> upgrade and BSOD. The Surface did however upgrade the hidden installtion/recovery partition so a reset will now grant me a Windows 10 Pro (1607).
Specs: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (i7 + 16GBram and a 512 GB SSD).
Avast! Internet Security online installer used.
Bitlocker is enabled (just in case this is the issue at hand).

I started the installer of Avast after I made sure all App's (Windows apps) and Windows itself was up-to-date. Same for the UEFI etc.
Not too pleased ofcourse.

Resetted my Surface once again and I will not install Avast! until some clear message is given by the people of Avast! concerning full compatibility of Windows 10 Po (1607) and Avast! Internet Security on A Microsoft Surface Pro 4.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:38:30 PM by CaptainLeonidas »
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »
Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with a clean Windows 10 Anniversary install crashed on me shortly after the Avast icon became visible on the taskbar.

Windows 10 Pro (1511) was it's previous version and Avast! was fine -> upgrade and BSOD. The Surface did however upgrade the hidden installtion/recovery partition so a reset will now grand me a Windows 10 Pro (1607).

I started the installer of Avast after I made sure all App's (Windows apps) and Windows itself was up-to-date. Same for the UEFI etc.

Resetted my Surface once again and I will not not install Avast! until some clear message is given by the people of Avast! concerning full compatibility of Windows 10 Po (1607) and Avast! Internet Security on A Microsoft Surface Pro 4.
Which version of Avast ???
Current version is 12.2.2276 build 12.2.3126.2
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 02:18:37 PM »
"the Windows 10 Anniversary Update failed two times with BSOD today, so I uninstalled Avast and the Anniversary Update went fine. Next I tried to install Avast Free Antivirus Version 12.2.2276, and during the installation process my PC re-booted and I got a BSOD (error: system thread exception not handled) every time as result."

I had the same thing happen with my new Dell XPS 8900 desktop that came with pre-installed Windows 10.  The Anniversary update works fine, but I cannot install Avast Free.  I also had to use the avast uninstaller utility to get Windows to load without a BSOD.  If I try to install Avast, I get the BSOD with the same above error message, during the install process.  Then I have to boot in safe mode and run the Avast uninstall utility to remove the remnants, before I can do a regular boot of Windows.

For now am just using Windows Defender until this can be resolved.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:24:07 PM by Bill_D »

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 02:20:52 PM »

Windows 10 Pro (1511) was it's previous version and Avast! was fine -> upgrade and BSOD. The Surface did however upgrade the hidden installtion/recovery partition so a reset will now grant me a Windows 10 Pro (1607).

Resetted my Surface once again and I will not install Avast! until some clear message is given by the people of Avast! concerning full compatibility of Windows 10 Po (1607) and Avast! Internet Security on A Microsoft Surface Pro 4.
Which version of Avast ???
Current version is 12.2.2276 build 12.2.3126.2

Yes, downloaded the online installer for Avast! Internet Security today directly from the Avast! website just minutes before I wrote the post. Ran it and a BSOD as I wrote (even before the desktop icons of Avast! would appear).

(Edited the post to make it clearer.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:42:42 PM by CaptainLeonidas »
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 02:32:41 PM »
Confirmed that I am using Avast Free version 12.2.2276 build 12.2.3126.2.

I have rolled back the update and deferred upgrades until Avast releases a patch.  As I stated above, I was able to complete the Anniversary Update after uninstalling Avast and using Avastclear, but I could not get Windows Defender to stay on because it still thought Avast was handling antivirus responsibilities.  I have used Avast for a long time and did not really want to move to another antivirus program, so I will wait until this issue is resolved.

Yuck.

Penn

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 03:36:18 PM »
Same problems here - was running the latest Avast free, and twice I tried to install the Windows 10 anniversary update, and twice it got stuck in a BSOD loop. So after finding this thread, I uninstalled Avast and then I was able to successfully install the Windows 10 anniversary update.

So, from what I am reading here, I am not game to try and reinstall Avast until there is a fix for it. Note I am running Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, on an Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Samsung SSD and Nvidia GTX 970.

Is there anyway to be notified if this issue is noted by Avast staff, and, when a fix is available? I am running Windows Defender, but to be honest, it isn't my preferred anti-virus. Would rather use Avast, when it is fixed.

Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
I get 2 time an uncompleted win10 1607 upgrade.

for the first time i use windows update. at the second attempt i use the actually windows media creation tool.

every time win show the the same bug after 70% of update process. win10 can't restart in win 101607. and starts a workaround back to 1511
at the sceond crash i get the error 0xc1900101 - 0x40017 from the media creation tool.

in the evening i will clean avast free from my system and repeat the update procedure. than i will report my impressions

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 03:45:45 PM »
Same problems (BSOD during Windows 10 update, installation works fine with uninstallation of Avast before performing update) here on a Surface Book i5.

I also downloaded the actual online setup package and had BSODs after new Avast installation on the updated Windows 10.

Right now I rolled back Windows 10 and reinstalled Avast on it ...

I also started a ticket 445780 at Avast.

Waiting for a fix by Avast. :-\

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 04:04:39 PM »
I have a total of three systems that I have updated to Anniversary Update Windows 10.  The only one that has BSOD'd is my Intel based processor desktop.  My AMD laptop and desktop both seem to be functioning fine (For The Moment).  Maybe it has to do with a conflict between Avast and the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver or the processor itself.  Who else has an Intel based system that has BSOD'd (SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) or an AMD system the has or has not BSOD'd?

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 04:06:06 PM »
Intel i5

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2016, 04:11:59 PM »
I have a total of three systems that I have updated to Anniversary Update Windows 10.  The only one that has BSOD'd is my Intel based processor desktop.  My AMD laptop and desktop both seem to be functioning fine (For The Moment).  Maybe it has to do with a conflict between Avast and the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver or the processor itself.  Who else has an Intel based system that has BSOD'd (SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) or an AMD system the has or has not BSOD'd?

after a look of the signature in this thread it should be possible.

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2016, 04:15:46 PM »
Intel i5 here.

I also started a support ticket:  Ticket ID: 445899

Hopefully it is a quick fix.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2016, 04:30:02 PM »
I7 no problems.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:46:22 PM by sonichedgehog360 »

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 04:38:26 PM »
Intel i7 Skylake here, on an MSI Gaming M7 z170a motherboard. I don't install the intel rapid storage driver, but got the BSOD anyway.