Author Topic: NEW AV review from PCWorld.com  (Read 17566 times)

TheWhiteknight

NEW AV review from PCWorld.com
« on: January 28, 2006, 11:57:06 AM »
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,124475,00.asp

I really wonder how independant the above review is . I would like other peoples thoughts on it as I rate Avast way above Norton any day !

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: NEW AV review from PCWorld.com
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 12:09:57 PM »
Hmmm...  :-\ AVG is bellow Avast but it is said
Though the best looking of the free antivirus products, Avast performed the worst.
so I bet if the review is really objective.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 12:38:38 PM »
Sorry but this test is TOTAL BULLSHIT.

avast!
WildList viruses: 100%
AV-Test zoo threats: 86%
Heuristic detection with one-month-old signatures: 9%
Heuristic detection with two-month-old signatures: 5%
Scan speed (in seconds):   791
Outbreak response time: 8 to 10 hours

AVG
WildList viruses: 100%
AV-Test zoo threats: 80%
Heuristic detection with one-month-old signatures: 8%
Heuristic detection with two-month-old signatures: 4%
Scan speed (in seconds): 354
Outbreak response time: 8 to 10 hours

Is it just me or i really don't see any point where AVG is better than avast!.
If scan speed is the measure then i should hit myself.
Less thorough scan in favor of speed is not something that i tolerate.
And avast! scanned my windows partition with archives enabled in few minutes on my system. But if you give it 16MB of RAM and some crappy PII you really can't expect miracles. Also their testing methodos are unknown and we don't even know which versions they used exactly (program and updates).

And saying that avast! is bottom barrel based on some mumbo jumbo crap (which my briliant mind still cannot understand) is really not trustworthy and even more it sounds nothing else than product bashing. ANd certanly something that i wouldn't expect from magazine like PCWorld.
Now i'm really not surprised why ESET isn't included. They obviously refused the testing because its plain crap. But the damage to Alwil Software was done by publishing this piece of ****.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 01:00:59 PM »
Well, I would certainly like to know the exact way they tested the speed. I'm not saying that avast! is fastest of all, but this scan time is way too big (compared to the others).
Unfortunatelly, they don't give much details (which could make quite a big difference). Also, is there any exact version (build) stated anywhere?

TheWhiteknight

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 01:03:17 PM »
I could'nt agree with you more RejZoR . I just hope that other user's will not migrate to other AV solutions as a result of this very suspect av review .  :(

I currently subscribe to maganzine called webuser they gave avast a glowing report last year here is the review http://www.webuser.co.uk/products/Avast_46_Home_Edition_review_2433-200.html. I suspect they will do newer review later this year  :).

TheWhiteknight

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 01:10:44 PM »
Igor I must admit I cant find any build version which like you say would make a big difference so therefore the review maybe flawed in that respect .

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 01:20:01 PM »
I actually said that the details about the scanning process can make a big difference in the total time (used to measure the "speed"). But of course, it would be nice to know the exact version.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 01:26:26 PM »
Sorry but this test is TOTAL BULLSHIT.
I totally agree with RejZor ;D

Why Alwil even agreed avast! to take part in this test?
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 02:24:25 PM »
Amazing! and totally misleading.
PCWorld offer a link How We Test but, when you
go to the site, all it tells you is that "In the near future we will publish all of the methodology we use for our hands-on testing".
I also couldn't find any place to offer a rebuttal. Almost sounds like one of the reviews where you put up your money and we'll put
you near the top.... ;D ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 02:26:54 PM »
Almost sounds like one of the reviews where you put up your money and we'll put
you near the top.... ;D ;D

Actually most reviews on the net are like that.....

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 02:27:13 PM »
Call me a cynic but bitdefender achieved No1 and every review page has an advert for bitdefender?

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 12:13:40 AM »

I used Norton/Symantec and then McAfee (both for about 2 years each) before coming to Avast. Both of those let my computer get infected with at least 2 infections each without my knowing it.    >:(
There is no way either of those 2 should be on any list and be above Avast!

I have now been using Avast for over 2 years without even one infection.    :D

I have to say I think that set of tests are complete BS!!!    ::)    ;)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 11:41:51 AM »
BitDefender seems to have gone to the top by virtue of a cheap price despite better detection and faster scan speeds by Kaspersky, F-Secure and Symantec. (Although BitDefender's heuristics detection is marginally better.)

I hope avast!'s detection rate will improve as the new virus analysts start work!
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 04:33:36 PM »
I just dropped my subscription to P.C. World . ::)
 RejZor, I echo your sentiments...exactly   :P
=YLAP=
I really wonder how independant the above review is . I would like other peoples thoughts on it as I rate Avast way above Norton any day !
I agree with you YLAP . I've tried persuading several  Norton and other  (expensive) AV  users to drop 'em and use Avast! but things have almost gotten violent,  so I give up. ::)
Maybe having spent $300 or more makes them feel they've  a  better AV . ::)
I love  Avast! , it is essential .  Maybe some advertising dollars should used to spread the word to a larger demographic of AV users. I'm sick of people saying ; " Never heard of it ! "

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 08:50:35 PM »
I agree with you YLAP . I've tried persuading several  Norton and other  (expensive) AV  users to drop 'em and use Avast! but things have almost gotten violent,  so I give up. ::)
Maybe having spent $300 or more makes them feel they've  a  better AV . ::)

Same here, but after few months I started to ask myself... why are we even trying to "convert" other AV users ? What do we have from that ? I don't care if they feel safer by spending $300 or more on an AV software... btw, Norton is around $29 CAD in some stores here, and also there is some action going on... if you buy some other software package which is btw just $19 CAD, you get Norton Suite for free. Maybe all those things sounds attractive for people, and sure it's nice when you see something like that... for unbelievable low price you get two packages. So it's something to think about... in the mean time, I'll never ever try to "convert" anyone to use something I use. Who says it's the best possible solution anyway... People are individuals and we all have rights to decide what's best for us. Maybe they feel safe with Norton... We'll ask them for their opinion after they suck their first virus and after their computer becomes a zombie... until then, I'm happy with AV of my choice. Let them enjoy theirs...

I love  Avast! , it is essential .  Maybe some advertising dollars should used to spread the word to a larger demographic of AV users. I'm sick of people saying ; " Never heard of it ! "

Me too, but what can we do ? Nothing... it's not up to us... I won't argue with someone who isn't aware of pluses and minuses he/she gets with Norton, nor they even ever tried to find out is there anything better or more effective than Norton out there. That's their problem, and that's their loss... not ours.

True, Alwil is the one that needs to change their policy when it comes to advertising... make it more efficient somehow.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s