Author Topic: Interesting Software and System News  (Read 2841411 times)

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Re: Interesting Software and System News
« Reply #2520 on: January 15, 2011, 04:13:50 AM »
I like this...please keep update for whole security information to other users...

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

CharleyO

« Reply #2521 on: January 15, 2011, 08:31:10 AM »

Yes, it is an interesting read.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster

Dch48

« Reply #2523 on: January 15, 2011, 08:46:56 PM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2524 on: January 15, 2011, 09:33:23 PM »
Yes, just confirms all our previous thoughts, suspicions into one neat URL for reference it it is needed about ethical and moral practices of Iobit for future reference.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

Silk0

« Reply #2526 on: January 16, 2011, 04:43:06 PM »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #2527 on: January 16, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »
It was there yesterday.  :o
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

spg SCOTT

Nesivos

« Reply #2529 on: January 16, 2011, 05:28:50 PM »
I know you guys hate iObit.

I also know the history behind that one month

Anyway I have used their products for years and never ever has any other Anti-Virus products including AIS or Anti-Malware products including Malwarebytes ever found any viruses or Malware on my computer as a result of an iObit product.

That is a fact.

Maybe I am just lucky in this regard :) :)

PS. If you go to the home page of the blog and look at all his blog posts that he lists there is no mention of iObit in any of the article headings.  Doesn't mean the article was not there or he didn't comment in another article just saying.

Just for the record

1.  We all know that there were Malwarebytes signatures in the IObit360 database.
2.  We should all know that they were only there for one month
3.  To my knowledge Malwarebytes never filed a lawsuit on this issue.  If anyone here is aware of such a lawsuit please post the link.
4.  I am not aware of how the Malwarebytes signatures got into IObit360.   Does anyone here actually know how they got into the IObit360 database?
5.  Just maybe IObit hired some people to design and code their new product at the time IObit360.
6.  Just maybe one of those people came from Malwarebytes.  It is not uncommon for techies to switch companies and go to a competitor especially when they are designing a new product and need to staff up.   I did the same decades ago when I worked in Hard Drive manufacturing industry.  I left Computer Memories and went to work for another disk drive manufacturer which was a startup at the time.  I got offered stock and a promotion so I changed companies.  No big deal.  Done all the time.
7.  Maybe IObit hired someone from Malwarebytes who stole the signatures of the their own volition before they left.  Again not uncommon in the high tech industry, entertainment industry, design industry etc etc.
8. Maybe IObit fired the person when they found out and removed the Malwarebytes signatures from IObit360 after they were made aware that some new employee had illegally inserted them.  
9.  Maybe all the above is true and that is why Malwarebytes never to my knowledge filed a lawsuit on this issue.
10. Maybe people will continue to trash IObit over this incident though they might have only been culpable of having poor internal design procedures.
11. Maybe a lot of small and even medium and large high tech software companies have poor internal software design procedures.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:47:24 PM by Nesivos »

Alan Baxter

« Reply #2530 on: January 16, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »
IObit’s Advanced SystemCare Free 3.7 Installs Spyware And More!

I read the 40 comments to this article yesterday.  Only a few of the commenters had tried to reproduce Bill's problem in which the third-party installations had been refused but installed themselves anyway.  None of them were able to duplicate Bill's problem.  I downloaded and installed the software from download.com, just like Bill said he did.  I carefully unchecked the correct boxes, including an additional sneaky box toward the end of the installation.  None of the additional software was installed.  I think he may have allowed something during the installation inadvertently.  It didn't sound like he tried to see if the problem was reproducible.  It sounded like the problematic install happened on an important system rather than a test one which could be just wiped clean, so not attempting to repeat it is understandable.

That said, I don't like having to carefully uncheck quite so many boxes on multiple panels to avoid unwanted installs.  I'm going to avoid IObit software in the future.

It was there yesterday.  :o

It's not listed in the Recent Posts section of http://billmullins.wordpress.com/ either.  He may be in the process of revising it.  Don't know.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2531 on: January 16, 2011, 06:14:48 PM »
Perhaps someone lent on him to remove it, another conspiracy theory ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #2532 on: January 16, 2011, 08:02:42 PM »
IObit’s Advanced SystemCare Free 3.7 Installs Spyware And More!

Page Not Found..?  :-\
Using FF 3.6.13, by the way.

Read this review:
IObit Security 360
Pros
Free. Small download. Fast Install. Fast scan for malware. Includes toolbar and security tools.

Cons
Poor malware removal left many executables, some actually still running. Poor malware blocking did not prevent installation of malware. By default, installation changes your homepage and search provider.

Bottom Line
IObit Security 360 installs and scans quickly. The problem is, it just doesn't do the job of removing malware or preventing malware installation.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2355884,00.asp
That said, I don't like having to carefully uncheck quite so many boxes on multiple panels to avoid unwanted installs.  I'm going to avoid IObit software in the future.
No IOBit software for me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2533 on: January 16, 2011, 09:03:09 PM »
5.  Just maybe IObit hired some people to design and code their new product at the time IObit360.
6.  Just maybe one of those people came from Malwarebytes.  It is not uncommon for techies to switch companies and go to a competitor especially when they are designing a new product and need to staff up.   I did the same decades ago when I worked in Hard Drive manufacturing industry.  I left Computer Memories and went to work for another disk drive manufacturer which was a startup at the time.  I got offered stock and a promotion so I changed companies.  No big deal.  Done all the time.
Not acceptable.

7.  Maybe IObit hired someone from Malwarebytes who stole the signatures of the their own volition before they left.  Again not uncommon in the high tech industry, entertainment industry, design industry etc etc.
Not acceptable.

8. Maybe IObit fired the person when they found out and removed the Malwarebytes signatures from IObit360 after they were made aware that some new employee had illegally inserted them.   
Why do they never acknowledged that? On contrary...

10. Maybe people will continue to trash IObit over this incident though they might have only been culpable of having poor internal design procedures.
An acknowledge would be enough.
Now we have spyware behavior!

11. Maybe a lot of small and even medium and large high tech software companies have poor internal software design procedures.
Not an excuse for us to avoid such companies. The size is not an excuse.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster