Author Topic: Avast Seems to be Preventing Windows 7 Update  (Read 6850 times)

REDACTED

Avast Seems to be Preventing Windows 7 Update
« on: December 06, 2016, 05:25:18 AM »
Hello,

Please, I request some assistance here.  I have been experiencing symptoms of significant system slowdown and an inability of system updates to be applied on my HP x64 Windows 7 SP1 laptop.  The slowdown appears to have been caused by the Windows update process in the background being unable to complete.

After a long sequence of diagnostic steps including Windows Update Diagnostics and downloaded update attempts got me to the point of significance here and the relationship to Avast.  When I finally got to trying to run the System Update Readiness Tool, all but 6 elements could not be fixed (89 out of 95 were fixed) by the tool in the component stores.  I've edited out the fixed ones (for space and readability reasons) presuming that they're not interesting and left only the 6 that are unfixed and they appear to be Avast related.  Here's the pasted in result:

<begin paste in>
=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 26.0
2016-12-04 10:31

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store
(f)   CSI C Mark Deployment Missing   0x00000000   c!avast.vc140.mfc_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.24210.0_49391d6d8244622b   x86_avast.vc140.mfc_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.24210.0_none_a338d8ea2df29efb   
(f)   CSI C Mark Deployment Missing   0x00000000   c!policy.14.0.avast.vc140.crt_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.24210.0_ef17e13d91c55d96   amd64_policy.14.0.avast.vc140.crt_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.24210.0_none_499a1b14d5902dfc   
(f)   CSI C Mark Deployment Missing   0x00000000   c!policy.14.0.avast.vc140.crt_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.24210.0_36c51814a641869c   x86_policy.14.0.avast.vc140.crt_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.24210.0_none_914751ebea0c5702   
(f)   CSI C Mark Deployment Missing   0x00000000   c!avast.vc140.crt_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.24210.0_020285fe6d6e0580   amd64_avast.vc140.crt_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.24210.0_none_56aba0211ca246c2   
(f)   CSI C Mark Deployment Missing   0x00000000   c!policy.14.0.avast.vc140.mfc_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.24210.0_364e78aca69bba41   x86_policy.14.0.avast.vc140.mfc_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.24210.0_none_962753dde6e08635   
(f)   CSI C Mark Deployment Missing   0x00000000   c!avast.vc140.crt_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.24210.0_49afbcd581ea2e86   x86_avast.vc140.crt_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.24210.0_none_9e58d6f8311e6fc8   

Summary:
Seconds executed: 3357
 Found 95 errors
 Fixed 89 errors
  CSI C Mark Deployment Missing Total count: 6
  CSI F Mark Missing Total count: 89
  Fixed: CSI F Mark Missing.  Total count: 89

<end paste in>

Since I can't seem to get past this point, I presume that the unfixed items are preventing my progress.  First question is, is that presumption correct?  Second question is, what can I do from here and is it fixable?  What is recommended?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations or help offered.

-Rocky714

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Seems to be Preventing Windows 7 Update
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:30:38 AM »
The problem is not with avast but a Windows one.
Your Windows installation is corrupt.

https://www.google.nl/search?client=opera&q=Mark+Deployment+Missing&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 12:35:45 PM »
Download and install this first, (April 2015 servicing stack update):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46827    for 32 bit
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46817    for 64 bit

After this download and install this:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53335    for 32 bit
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53332    for 64 bit

After installing these 2 Win updates, your win 7 sp1 should be able to find the missing updates

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 02:18:26 PM »
You should not download and install anything until the Windows problem, whatever it is, has been fixed.

First thing is create a restore point.

Second run CHDSK on your primary OS drive. In Computer right click on the drive and select Properties and then the Tools tab and Error Checking > Check Now. Tick the second box too and then Start.

Because it is your primary OS drive you'll be offered the scan option to do it on PC restart. Check 'Yes' and restart the PC.  How long it takes will depend on your CPU/RAM and how much there is on the drive.

Once done and the PC restarted now use System File Checker (SFC).

The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy.

This explains it in full:-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Just make sure you run "cmd" as admin and when you type in: "sfc /scannow" that there is a space between sfc and /scannow.

No guarantees either of these will actually fix whatever the problem is but in such circumstances they should be your first action before doing anything else.     

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 05:35:36 AM »
Thanks all for the suggestions.  I'm sorry I cut the preparation material short but I wanted to get to the meat of the matter.  I had, in fact, tried many things, including chkdsk and sfc /scannow, the latter of which found no errors.  If there were any errors with chkdsk, they weren't reported or apparent.  I also did full scans for viruses including checks for rootkits with rkill and tsstkill (if I remember the names correctly) and there were none.

Based on the recommendation above,  I tried these recommendations next (since I'm 64-bit):

[begin quote]
Download and install this first, (April 2015 servicing stack update):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46817    for 64 bit

After this download and install this:
[end quote]

The first download apparently uses a conventional installer and was installed with no problem.  The second, though, apparently uses the Windows Update Standalone Installer and seems to be part of the same problem that the computer has.  The installer comes up and goes into a permanent stall.  Nothing seems to happen and it never stops or finishes.

Now, I don't know what state I'm in.  Where do I go from here?  Do I have an update stack or not?  It's certainly not working, though.  Or at least, I don't think so.

Again, thanks in advance for all help.

-Rocky714

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »
There are a lot of other (possible) problems.
Just search for "Windows 7 update problems" and terms like that.

Offline Mike23

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 02:46:35 PM »
Hi Rocky714,
You may like to try the following...

If, as you say, the "installer" does not seem to be doing anything for ages,

open the Task Manager & look for a Windows Service (svchost) (in the Processes Tab), that may be fluctuating/running at around 50% or so.
Stop that service.
Also stop the wu date service. (I think it's usually at the bottom.)
This bit is important.
You have to go into Windows Update options & set it to Never Check......ie; do manual updates.

Then try the installer again.

I've had the same problem with all 4 of my PC's.

The above fixed them all.

BTW, I only want & receive the Security Updates....not the full "Rollups" that they want to install.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 04:37:10 PM »
Reaaly bad advise as svchost is just a generic host process.
Just killing svchost while not knowing what is using it can cause all kinds of unwanted effects.

Always first check what is using svchost first.

Offline Mike23

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 06:24:59 PM »
Eddy,

I said the following...
open the Task Manager & look for a Windows Service (svchost) (in the Processes Tab), that may be fluctuating/running at around 50% or so.
Stop that service.

I had quite a few svchosts running but only that one stuck at ~50% & the .msu file & it's associated UI "Installer"
just sat there for a long time, doing absolutely nothing.

The Windows updater was consuming zero/nix/nada memory or CPU.
It just sat there twiddling it's thumbs, for want of a better phrase.

Hence, the posted "fix" that works.

Regards, M..

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 05:29:47 AM »
Hi Rocky714,
You may like to try the following...

If, as you say, the "installer" does not seem to be doing anything for ages,

Stop that service.
Also stop the wu date service. (I think it's usually at the bottom.)
This bit is important.
You have to go into Windows Update options & set it to Never Check......ie; do manual updates.

Thanks, Mike23.

OK, so this is kind of what started this whole mess.  These are the symptoms I had, saw that the svchost process that was at 50% or so was associated with Window Update and figured that Windows Update was stalled for some reason (that, plus there was notification that I had updates to install).  So began the investigation into why Windows Update was no longer working (since updates were available and the responsible process was struggling).

So, I take it from your suggestion that fixing Windows Update is not the strategy to deal with this problem but to suppress Windows Update altogether? And not deal with Windows Update going forward?  This generates a whole slew of questions in my mind.

First about the process:
1) Does telling Windows to "Never Update" going forward prevent that process from running? or does it just prevent it (hopefully) from occupying 50% of my CPU? 
2) As I remember, there were a number of subprocesses associated with the svchost - do they not have any other function or does it only kill the wuaxxxx (whatever it is)?
4) Or do I have to kill the svchost process every time the the computer is booted?

About Windows Update:
1) If set to "Never Update", what about Security Updates, or has Microsoft stopped providing those for Windows 7? How do you get and apply them without Windows Update (especially since mine doesn't work)?
2) It still seems like I've got a dysfunctional Windows Update system.  Is there any way to fix that?  Is still looks like I've got those unfixed avast files I originally posted about.
3) If there are security updates, how do you know about them if Windows doesn't care about them any more?
4) What do I do about the stalled updates that Windows apparently downloaded and wanted to install but couldn't due to the dysfunction?

Sorry for all the questions but I feel like I've got a machine in an unknown state and heading into an environment not knowing how to maintain the machine.  Thanks all for the help

-Rocky714

Offline Mike23

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »
Hi Rocky714,
These are the symptoms I had, saw that the svchost process that was at 50% or so was associated with Window Update and figured that Windows Update was stalled for some reason (that, plus there was notification that I had updates to install).  So began the investigation into why Windows Update was no longer working (since updates were available and the responsible process was struggling).

It's a bit confusing, coz I only want & get the Security Updates, not the whole Rollups.
You have to check at the Windows D/L site or the MS Update Catalog site.
Best if you use IE for this, as MS doesn't like "other browsers."
Woody's site explains in more detail.
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/3136173/microsoft-windows/how-to-cautiously-update-windows-7-and-81-machines.html
&, If this is getting a tad "Off-Topic" feel free to move it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/. When I said that you have to do manual updates, it just means that you have to check for updates, yourself.
The auto option will not work.
Control Panel > Win updates.....Check for Updates.
&, Don't forget to set > Never Check.

2/. & 4/.
(As I already had the necessary.msu (KB 3197867), file from the catalog site, I had to do this.)
The "killing" of the svchost process is only necessary if the installation process stalls.
I found that I had to also stop the WU process as well before the install process would run....
otherwise you get a warning about only one instance of the WUpdater can be run.

MS stuffed the whole updating system up for us WIN 7 users.

Hope this helps.

If you get stuck, then try...
> http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/
Not knowing exactly which updates you have, check for KB3020369 & KB3172605
Lots of threads on the subject.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 03:31:57 PM by Mike23 »

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 08:53:46 PM »
Well, I was finally able to reinstall avast, then the System Update Readiness Tool was able to fix the 6 previously unfixable corruption errors in the Component Store.  Then I was able to install

the second recommendation of John 712 and Windows Update was able to operate on demand (after turning it to "Never" for automatic updates).  It took a long time to do 2 years of updates (hey, it was my daughter's machine, I haven't been paying a lot of attention to it until it became a problem), so much so that it needed to be done in stages (a few updates, reboot, a few more, reboot) or else it would stall.  Eventually, I got everything back together and working and up-to-date.  It should be a little easier to maintain now.

Thanks everyone.  It was painful but it was all worth it.

-Rocky714