Author Topic: Avast Home Edition - for what is that function?  (Read 7950 times)

odb

Avast Home Edition - for what is that function?
« on: February 22, 2006, 02:24:59 PM »
hello
i´m from germany and i try to describe what i´m looking for. i hope someone here speaks german so its easier for me to tell.

ok, i have the free version with registration key and  i want to know, for what i have to use the "v.db" - virus...database - with its three setting types? use with screensaver, if the pc doesn´t work and another type.

i choose the v.db generate und the symbol in the task runs permanently but nothing happens. for what is this setting. please describe that i can understand this.

i hope you understand what i mean

thanks a lot
odb

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Home Edition - for what is that function?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 03:36:38 PM »
ok, i have the free version with registration key and  i want to know, for what i have to use the "v.db" - virus...database - with its three setting types? use with screensaver, if the pc doesn´t work and another type.

I think you're talking about VRDB and not the VPS (virus database). If I'm right, VRDB scans all the local hard disks for executable files and stores some info about them. VRDB is not a backup system, the stored information is very small (not the whole files). Besides, only Win32 executables are processed - i.e. autoexec.bat and config.sys aren't there anyway. The VRDB data are stored in <avast>\Data\Integ\avast.int

If you click on 'FAQ' in my signature you'll be drived to more info about avast and VRDB.
The best things in life are free.

odb

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 12:09:08 AM »
hi Tech

and thanks for your answer.

yes, i meant the vrdb.

1. when i start it, this function makes a kind of copy of all my exe, dll an so on from my both hdd or only from partition who windows is installed?
is that right, have i understand this? and this kind of copy may takes a time? 1 hour or more?

2. but where is the copy of my system? where can i find it in avast!?

3. is this important to do this vrdb generation?

thanks again for your help
cu
odb

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 12:32:25 AM »
1. when i start it, this function makes a kind of copy of all my exe, dll an so on from my both hdd or only from partition who windows is installed?
All executable INFO (not all the file, just the info needed to restore in case of infection) in ALL partitions (Windows not Linux partitions).

and this kind of copy may takes a time? 1 hour or more?
The first one could take longer. If you want, run one manually and check how long it takes.

2. but where is the copy of my system? where can i find it in avast!?
You can't manage this file, or work with them out from avast.
It is into avast4\data\integ folder

3. is this important to do this vrdb generation?
Without it, you won't be able to restore cleaned versions of the executable files after infection  ;)

odb

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 09:20:58 AM »
hi Tech

that´s me again

i have one last question

when i get a virus, what i have to do with this "vrdb-generation-file" in avast4/data/integ folder? how can i restore the infected files with avast!? which steps i have to do in avast that this vrdb-file overwrite the infected files?

thanks again for your help
i´m so lucky to get help here so fast
cu
odb

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 12:48:02 PM »
when i get a virus, what i have to do with this "vrdb-generation-file" in avast4/data/integ folder? how can i restore the infected files with avast!? which steps i have to do in avast that this vrdb-file overwrite the infected files?
When avast detects a virus it automatically uses the VRDB information to restore - if possible - the executables to a clean state. I can't manage or work with the VRDB, it only works internally, with avast cleaner routines. Don't worry  8)

rcktexas

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 04:29:19 PM »
Kerio Personal Firewall maintains an MD5 hash for all executables that connect to the network and if one of those executables changes, KPF alerts the user.

Am I to understand that Avast's VRDB does something similar in that it can detect when any executable has changed, not just network applications.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 06:32:47 PM »
Am I to understand that Avast's VRDB does something similar in that it can detect when any executable has changed, not just network applications.
No, VRDB run only in the stablished period into avast4.ini file (default, 21 days).
It stores the last three versions of the executable info and just use them when an infection is to be cleaned by avast.

odb

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 07:20:17 PM »
@TECH

thank you so much, you really helped me.
now i have no more questions, all answered.

thank you
best wishes
ODB

rcktexas

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 07:40:22 PM »
Quote from: TechNo
VRDB run only in the stablished period into avast4.ini file (default, 21 days). It stores the last three versions of the executable info and just use them when an infection is to be cleaned by avast.

I just turned it on and it took about 15 minuted to generate the file. Now what do I do? How do I turn it on and off?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 07:49:12 PM »
I just turned it on and it took about 15 minuted to generate the file. Now what do I do? How do I turn it on and off?
VRDB will be automatically turned on after the period stablished into avast4.ini file. Click 'Settings' in my signature.
The method to turned on can be configured right clicking the 'a' blue icon and choosing VRDB.
To turn off, well, it will be automatically when avast finishes the HDD scanning for executables.

thank you so much, you really helped me.
now i have no more questions, all answered.
You're welcome. Feel free to ask any other question... If you can, come back and help the others making the forum better and better.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 07:52:09 PM »
Once you have generated it for the first time you can select how you would like it to be maintained (run in the future), Generate VRDB when computer is idle, Generate VRDB only when screen saver is running. By default if you have one of these selected every three weeks (the default duration) the VRDB will be run.

You need to have enabled a screen saver in the windows Display Properties, Screen Saver Tab if you want it to work with a screen saver, I don't believe it has to be the avast screen saver any screen saver.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

odb

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 11:18:39 AM »
You're welcome. Feel free to ask any other question... If you can, come back and help the others making the forum better and better.

ok, i´ll try to help if i can

thanks

rcktexas

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 01:29:58 PM »
Once you have generated it for the first time you can select how you would like it to be maintained (run in the future), Generate VRDB when computer is idle, Generate VRDB only when screen saver is running. By default if you have one of these selected every three weeks (the default duration) the VRDB will be run.

How do I turn the entire process off? For example, let's say I discover I have a virus now and the VRDB is therefore contaminated. How do I disable it so it can't mess things up in case another virus comes in?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 04:02:27 PM »
I doubt that avast would allow the VRDB to become contaminated (that would definitely be a flaw in the process), I presume files are first scanned before data is stored to use later. Not all files are monitored/protected by the VRDB usually system files, .exe, .dll, etc.

If the worst came to the worst you could delete the VRDB file, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\integ\avast.int where the data is stored.

However, I feel you may be going to far in the what if scenario. How would you discover you have a virus in a file that the VRDB Monitors/Protects (you can't). As has been said before the VRDB has three entries (once you have run it at least three times) to try to recover from this very unlikely event.

One other thing to ensure this doesn't happen to me, I run the VRDB manually only after I have done an avast scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security