Author Topic: Please check a newbie's scanning files  (Read 3690 times)

REDACTED

Please check a newbie's scanning files
« on: January 26, 2017, 06:29:20 PM »
Hi there,

I recently started a general topic, since my laptop (granted, a veritable antique) has been shutting down more often than usual. This may be due to "simply" overheating, but I wonder if there aren't any malicious programs heating it up more than it normally should. Also I often receive a pop-up from Avast, stating that it has blocked access for some application, but I do not get enough time to write anything down about this, since the laptop promptly shuts down.

So, I was advised to post here, after scanning with Malwarebytes (I literally sat on a rooftop in order to prevent it from overheating) and Farbar. Malwarebytes came up with about 90 or so files that were subsequently quarantined. This may already have solved much of the problem, but just in case, I would appreciate it if somebody who knows about these things could take a look at the report files  :D

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Please check a newbie's scanning files
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 09:39:17 AM »
That Malwarebytes log showed that there was no user action about the items found; did you have them removed / deleted or not?  If not, please run Malwarebytes again and have it delete / fix / quarantine whatever it finds.  Please post a fresh log from Malwarebytes.  Thanks.
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »
Hi dbrisendine
Thanks for checking my stuff. It took me a while to find the time to sit on my rooftop again :)
After removal of all the malware, Malwarebytes found only two more threats. I suppose that's good news?
Please see the new log. Thanks so much!

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 09:35:54 PM »
The new Malwarebytes' log does look better; how is your system running now?  If it is still running hot, have you cleaned the vents in the case?  Does the internal fan sound like it is running?  (Just some suggestions here to eliminate hardware issues also.)

If you get a chance, let us get some fresh FRST logs to view please.

If you still have a Addition.txt log file on your desktop, please delete it now.

Start FRST that is on your Desktop by double clicking and allowing the software to run when the User Access Control asks (if it does).

The tool will start to run and will check for a updated version and download it if needed.  The tool will inform you of when it is ready to use.

Select Additional.txt and 90 Days Files in the Optional Scans section of FRST.

Press the Scan button.

It will make two logs (FRST.txt and Addition.txt) on your Desktop. Please attach the logs in your reply back.
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 09:15:14 PM »
Thanks!
It has been a while now since my laptop ragequitted ... so it seems to have helped!
The fan is running smoothly. I cleaned it and changed the cooling paste fairly recently, about 3 months ago. Afterwards, it ran well and without overheating for about a month until it started doing these weird shutdowns, often with an Avast pop-up, which made me find help here. This seems to have worked... so far anyway. So thanks again!

I attached new FRST and Addition files for your viewing pleasure  :D
What is in these files anyway, as compared to the Malwarebytes log?

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 07:43:51 AM »

FIRST >>>>

Please go to START (Windows Orb) >> Control Panel >> Uninstall a Program or Programs and Features and remove the following (if listed):

Free Audio Dub version 1.7.9.908
Freemake Video Converter version 3.0.1
QuickTime 7
pdfforge Toolbar v6.2

To do so, left clicking on the name once and then click Uninstall/Change at the bar above the list window. 

Follow the prompts of the uninstaller BUT please read carefully any questions it asks before answering; some uninstallers will try and deceive you into keeping the software.  If the uninstall does not function properly, move on to the next one.

SECOND >>>>

Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.
Please attach it to your reply.

Also, please tell me how your system is running now.  Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »
Well, I finally got around to doing this. Sad to see Freemake Video Converter go, that was a really useful tool.
pdfforge couldn't be removed, it wasn't found in the appdata directory or something (I made screenshots, in case this is important)
I also sat on my rooftop again to do a Malwarebytes scan just for good measure, which found no threats.

The FRST tool required a restart, after which I noticed changes in Chrome. I now have to re-install Lastpass, which will be a pain, since I don't remember my Lastpass-password. I wrote it down, but I don't have it where I now live. See how that works out.
While I was logging in to the avast forum, having only two tabs open in Chrome, my laptop overheated and shut down.

So it seems both myself and my laptop have a nasty infection with irony.

It now seems to be doing okay, still running quite hot, still with ten Chrome processes clogging things up with only two tabs open. I think I'll soon switch browser, not sure yet to what (firefox perhaps, after I reinstall it).
I think I'll also let a professional look at the hardware in order to give it a proper clean and cooling paste fix.
Or get a new laptop somewhere.

Please see the the attached fixlog.txt and thanks again for the help!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 03:06:14 PM »
It now seems to be doing okay, still running quite hot
Is it full of dust?  try vacuum clean the vent

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 08:46:39 AM »
Chrome > 2 Tabs will have a total of 10 processes.  8 processes are dedicated Chrome processes so that if Chrome is loaded, you will see at least 8 processes in Task Manager; this is normal.

Sorry to hear about LastPass; the fix shouldn't have affected it directly.  If you check the LastPass web site, I believe they do have a way for you to recover access to your vault (possibly a one time password).

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:43 AM »
Well... Now my laptop has started bluescreening...
I don't know if the problem is related to the fix but it is definitely a new thing.
It worked all right during the use weekend, only an occasional overheat, but today I cannot use chrome or Firefox without a bluescreen  :(
I attached a photo of this new menace, but I don't really expect this is anything anyone here can help with.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 07:32:22 AM »
I would download and install the OEM drivers for that system.  The error is related a driver conflict; best (and fastest) way of fixing this in my experience is to use the drivers from the system vendor.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 02:30:15 PM »
download OEM drivers for the system... what I wouldn't give for a problem that called for a screwdriver   :o
Oh well, I'll see what I can do.

And thanks again for the help! The fixes didn't amount to much (yet), but I certainly appreciate the effort!
I probably just need to bring it in to a repair shop or something... but as always, it's probably cheaper to get a new machine.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »
Well... Now my laptop has started bluescreening...
I don't know if the problem is related to the fix but it is definitely a new thing.
It worked all right during the use weekend, only an occasional overheat, but today I cannot use chrome or Firefox without a bluescreen  :(
I attached a photo of this new menace, but I don't really expect this is anything anyone here can help with.
could be related to this >> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=199176.0

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 01:06:21 PM »
Oh wow, thanks! Would never have thought to look for that myself!
It bluescreened during the automatic update, but it might still have worked.
Although my Avast still says "current version 170322-0" and not 170322-1 even after updating manually through https://www.avast.com/download-update (during which it did NOT bluescreen  ;D) I really hope this has fixed things!
So far so good, fingers crossed!
Thanks!