Author Topic: Avast on SUSE 10.0  (Read 29077 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast on SUSE 10.0
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 02:59:21 PM »
You should be able to uninstall firefox using yast.  Kmenustart-system-Yast(control center). Enter your password. software management. Search for mozillafirefox, right click on the checkbox and select delete. click accept. After you have downloaded Firefox 1.5 rpm package for suse, install it using yast.
Thanks Howard, I'll take a look on it  ;)
But, as posted by Culpeper, I think troubles are just waiting to come... Are you using the 1.5?
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 07:15:35 PM »
SuSe won't put anything on YOU unless it has been thoroughly tested.  I suspect that is the delay on the Firefox 1.5 showing up on YOU.  SuSe may decide never to put Firefox 1.5 on YOU because of all the problems that have come with version 1.5.  Nevertheless, you can always find an RPM for Firefox 1.5 through various SuSe installation sources and install it through YaST like I did.  I just had some GUI problems with the upgrade so I removed it and went back to Firefox 1.07.    Linux isn't as dependent on having the next version installed as Windows is for security reasons.  Just one more weird thing I have to get used to.

howard.v

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 07:37:48 PM »
From now on I am going to wait until an upgrade is available through YOU, which is the online update portion of YaST.
It's funny (or sad) that we can't upgrade just a part of the system...  :P

Also, have you checked out the following link for installing plugins for Firefox? 
http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/178/42/
Life teached me to not 'lose' time with plugins when event the main application is not working...
Man, I lost a lot with skins, themes, plugins, extensions... and then having to remove all...
Besides this, they are so much version dependents that, after all, I give up on having them... an upgrade and I have to start all over again  :P ::)
For instance, the 1.0.7 does not even upgrade itself to 1.5  :(

I don't know why you are having such problems with upgrading Firefox from 1.0.7 to 1.5. When I did it, Firefox 1.5 automatically updated my extensions and themes by searching the web for them. There were only a couple that hadn't been updated for 1.5 yet, but it was only a couple of weeks before they were. ;)

howard.v

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 07:58:07 PM »
You should be able to uninstall firefox using yast.  Kmenustart-system-Yast(control center). Enter your password. software management. Search for mozillafirefox, right click on the checkbox and select delete. click accept. After you have downloaded Firefox 1.5 rpm package for suse, install it using yast.
Thanks Howard, I'll take a look on it  ;)
But, as posted by Culpeper, I think troubles are just waiting to come... Are you using the 1.5?

I am using Firefox 1.5.0.1.   I actually like to use the latest beta of it and report bugs to the appropriate bug trackers at mozilla.  So, I will probably be moving on to the next beta since 1.5 is an actual release now.

Suse will not put 1.5 on you untill 1.0.7 becomes a security risk to use. As 98% of the hackers concentrate their efforts on Microsoft, There isn't much of a threat to Linux. Linux vulnerabilities are usually fixed within days, not weeks or months as with Microsoft. Mac OSX is similarly safe. Apple takes a proactive stance on security, hence the reason OSX is based on Unix like Linux is. Since the Linux kernel is open source, there are lots of people able to contribute to the project. Instead of the few that Microsoft allows to work on their OS.

I am not a programmer. I learned what I know of SUSE Linux by just doing. I have screwed my Linux partition so bad at times that the only way I could see to fix it was a format and reinstall. Each time I do, I get it tweaked even more and I learns lots. There are man pages about just abaout everything you can do with SUSE. For instance, you can open a terminal and type "man yast2" without the quotes and the info will come up decribing it and how to use it including  option switches.  I have been reading the man pages. When there doesn't happen to be a man page, there is google and newsgroups and forums

howard.v

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 08:29:36 PM »
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060228 SUSE/1.5.0.1-10.1 Firefox/1.5.0.1

This is the experimental release version. The release versionis 1.5.0.1-5.1. I am now running the 1.5.0.1-10.1.
No problems so far. All plugins and extensions and themes are working.

sony_ung

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 04:24:36 AM »
I also cannot open avast! on SUSE 10 and the message below:

front@linux:~> su
Password:
linux:/home/front # rpm -Uvh avast4workstation-1.0.4-1.i586.rpm
warning: avast4workstation-1.0.4-1.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 8c2bca60
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:avast4workstation      ########################################### [100%]
linux:/home/front # avastgui
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/avastgui: line 115: /usr/lib/avast4workstation/bin/: is a directory
linux:/home/front #

What happen???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 04:47:59 PM »
I have screwed my Linux partition so bad at times that the only way I could see to fix it was a format and reinstall. Each time I do, I get it tweaked even more and I learns lots.
Me too  :-[ ;D ;D
The best things in life are free.

howard.v

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 07:46:28 AM »

Password:
warning: avast4workstation-1.0.4-1.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 8c2bca60
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What happen???

Go down to the kstart menu, click switch user, click start new session. At the login screen, instead of your user name, enter root, then enter your root password.  Go to a terminal and start avastgui. You might have to reinstall it first, but try starting it first. Avast does not install under super user (su) succesfully.

sony_ung

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 05:17:56 AM »

Password:

What happen???

Go down to the kstart menu, click switch user, click start new session. At the login screen, instead of your user name, enter root, then enter your root password.  Go to a terminal and start avastgui. You might have to reinstall it first, but try starting it first. Avast does not install under super user (su) succesfully.

I try already but also with the same error message... ... ... :'(

howard.v

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 05:33:30 AM »
Ok, I don't know what else you can try. You might want to start a new thread concerning your error message so the program author will take a look.

ldmccauley

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2006, 09:02:23 PM »
Installing avast! 4 for Linux on SUSE Linux 10

First let me say, I am absolutely new to Linux, I've been using Linux (SuSE Linux 10.0) about a month. Here's what worked for me... use what you can (if any) and leave the rest.

downloaded “avast4workstation-1.0.4-1.i586.rpm”

right-clicked “avast4workstation-1.0.4-1.i586.rpm” and chose Properties

selected permissions tab

set Owner/Group/Others to “Can Read & Write”

ticked "is executable" box and hit OK button

left-clicked “avast4workstation-1.0.4-1.i586.rpm”

which opened in Konqueror with an “Install Package with YaST” button at top of page, just below the  location bar

selected “Install Package with YaST” button and was prompted for root password / enter password

at this point several dependencies and libraries were required from SuSE 10 disc 2, 3 and 5

of which several failed to install, I took note of these and chose Ignore

YaST began Writing the System Configuration... after completion I installed the failed packages independently, that is without attempting to re-install avast 4.

one package (glibc-devel-2.3.5-40.i686.rpm) failed repeatedly, but persistence paid off and avast 4 finally installed quite smoothly.

launch terminal program Konsole and type: avastgui

was prompted for avast! Registration key / enter key

then I get this...

(avastgui:10925): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path:”qtengine”,

avast launches anyway, I'm able to update database and scan entire system

I've updated twice now and except for the Gtk-Warning, avast! 4 seems to be working fine

many thanks for a great product - hope this helps someone
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 09:54:29 PM by ldmccauley »

Culpeper

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2006, 04:06:06 AM »

see below
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 07:47:37 PM by Culpeper »

howard.v

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2006, 06:26:31 AM »

Next time just right click an rpm file and selct KRPM view and select Install with YaST.

Actually, all you have to do is left click an rpm and konquerer will present you with an "install with yasrt" button.

Culpeper

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2006, 07:46:51 PM »
Ah, I didn't know that.  It takes you to the same window KRPMview does.  Thank you.

Dublin

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2006, 07:17:12 PM »
ldmccaule,
please try to install gtk-qt-engine
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 07:40:14 PM by dublin »