Author Topic: internet connection timeout  (Read 7447 times)

drhayden1

internet connection timeout
« on: March 15, 2006, 12:19:57 AM »
after awhile i guess my internet mail protection of my avast pops up a small screen and says internet connection timeout...........continue?.................yes or no.....................what is that?????

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: internet connection timeout
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 01:46:55 AM »
Please post the full text details of the error Timeout warning, there is information contained in it that could help us to help you. Or you could post a screenshot of it if that is easier than coping the text, etc.

What is your OS ?
What is your email program ?
What were you doing at the time it occurred ?
- e.g. sending/receiving email, just browsing, etc.
Do you use a P2P program, if so what ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 02:02:06 AM »
xp2 home..........use outlook express,incredimail and a free yahoo account..........as the time i was playing a great old game.......rampage world tour off the new midway arcade treasures disk.......and explain what a p2p is..............i did go to internet mail advanced and increase timout to 580 instead of the 120 it was or could i uncheck timeout for internet mail communication :o ;D

drhayden1

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 02:11:49 AM »

drhayden1

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 02:16:53 AM »
my warning was    .........................internet connection timeout elapsed...............continue waiting?.................(javaw.exe-> 209-161-226-ca:25)          yes       no    To click on..........how do you paste an attachment here......i have one

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 04:14:25 AM »

Read the post at the link below on how to add a picture to a post.    :)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8982.0

drhayden1

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 08:52:17 AM »

drhayden1

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 08:53:37 AM »
thank you........it worked....................

drhayden1

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 02:38:31 PM »
email support from avast just e-mailed me and told me to go to internet mail advanced options and increase timeout to 600(i already had increased it to 580)just glad to hear that would fix it from the main source avast...................thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 03:35:14 PM »
Increasing the internet timeout in this instance isn't relevant because this isn't caused by your email program, rather a P2P program using the email ports to communicate (that is why I asked if you used a P2P program), causing a timeout because avast's Internet mail scanner is expecting email traffic.

Azureus needs to be tweaked to stop using the email ports.

Are you are using Azureus it is possible that you need to change the ports you listen on.
Check out this Thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18105.0
and this post in particular http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18105.msg154105#msg154105
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 04:45:41 PM »
i read all that and i updated my java and what is the best next thing to do........could i just terminate internet mail since i have spi and wep on my router firewall  and retail version of ad-aware and spy sweeper .............this is becoming a small headache if you know what i mean...........i thank you for helping me and as for p2p .........i've never seen the word azureus in my system........what is it for?????

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 05:30:14 PM »

P2P is a short form of peer-to-peer. There are many versions of this type of program and there is a list of Avast supported/monitored P2P programs. To see the list, left click the "a" ball in the Task tray. When the user interface opens, scroll down the left pane and click on P2P Shield. Now click on the Customize button near the top left of the interface. A small window will open to show the list.

Though azureus is a P2P program, it is not on the list. Some P2P programs incorrectly (and against set standards) use the email port to transfer files. This is why David is asking about it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 05:32:49 PM »
Well you have to identify why a java program javaw.exe is trying to connect to the internet using an email port. The occasions on this forum have related to the Azureus P2P program, used for file swapping (Peer 2 Peer, e.g. PC 2 PC or user 2 user). There may be other java based P2P (file swapping, music downloader, etc.) programs that would use this file, but right know I don't know of any.

I assume that the URL in the image you posted relates to your ISP, if so it looks similar to other occurrences.

You could check in your firewall logs to see if there is any way to check what program launched javaw.exe, or you could try a program called process explorer from sysinternals.com.

I wouldn't recommend terminating the internet mail provider as it may be the first indication that you have malware using your system to either send span or connect to the internet using the email ports, possibly to avoid detection.

snarky

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 05:17:52 AM »
Though azureus is a P2P program, it is not on the list. Some P2P programs incorrectly (and against set standards) use the email port to transfer files. This is why David is asking about it.

I keep reading about Azureus over and over in these forums.  Azureus only ever uses a "well-known port" such as 25 when it is connecting to a peer who is using that port for their own incoming connections.  In other words, Azureus isn't doing anything wrong, isn't "violating standards", but rather, the user on the other end--the one using port 25--has a problematic configuration.  Azureus is simply allowing you to connect to people using poorly-chosen ports, because the nature of P2P is that sometimes, every peer counts.

Azureus can be configured to avoid connecting to peers using any specified ports:

Ignore peers with these data ports
Ignores peers who have set these port numbers for their incoming connections. If your firewall complains that Azureus is trying to send email, then your firewall may be brain-dead and you should add 25 here.

And if you go in and set Azureus' listening port to something like 25, that's your fault, and that of Azureus.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 05:24:31 AM by snarky »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 03:20:13 PM »
The fact that you kept reading about it was when it first cropped up, the only common denominator was azureus and at that time little was know about how it communicated. When it was found out about this user configuration issue of azureus, the advice on how to configure it so as not to use the email ports was given.

Quote from: As In
Check out this Thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18105.0
and this post in particular http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18105.msg154105#msg154105

So when we see questions relating to internet timeouts we ask questions to identify the cause and not simply tell people to extent the timeout delay. One of those questions would invariably include do you use a P2P program and if the answer yes then we can see if they can't configure the listening ports.