Author Topic: Avast 17.3.2290 - Auto Update and Free License  (Read 8029 times)

REDACTED

Re: Avast 17.3.2290 - Auto Update and Free License
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 01:48:06 PM »
There are other areas for notification that I also mentioned in Reply #7:
If automated program update is active is not important other options. Program should be updated automatically without user intervention.
I will report this issue to Avast. Here just give a long, long discussion. Thanks for help.
Have a good time :)

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 01:51:46 PM »
My avast settings are password protected. I will ask also to Avast to check if this update issue happens only with password protection settings active.

I think this can be the bug in the case for you all seems work.
Infact when I logged into settings than checked the option who give alert on the icon if there are a new version and than removed this option as I do not want, Avast was updated automatically maybe because was not password protect so I AM pretty sure to have found the bug. This should be fixed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:02:13 PM by peopleinside »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »
There are other areas for notification that I also mentioned in Reply #7:
If automated program update is active is not important other options.

Program should be updated automatically without user intervention.
<snip>

1.  You said it yourself if the user doesn't open the UI.

2.  You should have been around the forums when avast first introduced the concept of Automatic Program Update, the screams were deafening.  People didn't want this, especially when they were busy. It might well suit you, but not everyone and don't forget avast has to try to have a balance across all users.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 03:25:08 PM »
2.  You should have been around the forums when avast first introduced the concept of Automatic Program Update, the screams were deafening.  People didn't want this, especially when they were busy. It might well suit you, but not everyone and don't forget avast has to try to have a balance across all users.

Well so this user should disable automated update and his PC security his in they hand but as standard, if the automated update is active should work.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 03:48:59 PM »

Well so this user should disable automated update and his PC security his in they hand but as standard, if the automated update is active should work.

The problem is this isn't just one user, in the same way why should one user say everyone should conform with their way of thinking. We all use computers differently and certainly that won't change. Avast has to come up with a policy that is going to apply to hundreds of millions of users not one or two.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »
The problem is this isn't just one user, in the same way why should one user say everyone should conform with their way of thinking. We all use computers differently and certainly that won't change. Avast has to come up with a policy that is going to apply to hundreds of millions of users not one or two.

As from I can understand from your post you don't like the automatic update because you are scared or you think (as is true) that some user will be scared about update in busy PC time.
I can inform you that my alert regarding a BUG or issue will not affect you: you can set update to be manual and you can already now set Avast to just alert when a new version is avaiable without update by himself.

I AM reporting an issue that is not yours and is not applicable in your case and seems for you all works fine... I know you have no issue with Avast and this but in my case there are something who is not working as is expect to do.

I AM not telling you that my vision must be the vision of all, I AM reporting an issue, something that is not working so I think your post is not helping me to resolve this issue.
Please let the discussion as is and relax, do not be worried: I AM not asking to force automatic program update for all. You can relax :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 04:26:08 PM by peopleinside »

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 04:10:05 PM »
David I appreciate your help with your messages but I do not need support just because I do not know how to use the Avast software.

I AM reporting a BUG / ISSUE, maybe the forum is not the right place for do that, I will try other way to get in touch with Avast and report the issue.
Thank you,
have a good time on the forum  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »

As from I can understand from your post you don't like the automatic update because you are scared or you think (as is true) that some user will be scared about update in busy PC time.
<snip>

You know absolutely nothing about me, so your comment about being scared is insulting and absolute crap.  I'm more than capable of looking after my systems, I look beyond how it might effect me but how it might effect other avast users.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 04:31:03 PM »
You know absolutely nothing about me, so your comment about being scared is insulting and absolute crap.  I'm more than capable of looking after my systems, I look beyond how it might effect me but how it might effect other avast users.
I Am not insulting you David,
if this is your interpretation this message will clarify it.

I AM saying that from what you wrote seems you do not like auto update because as you said, users can do not want this when the PC is busy.
You said to me:
The problem is this isn't just one user, in the same way why should one user say everyone should conform with their way of thinking.

this is little offensive to me as I AM not asking to decide for other users.
Please do not feel hit by me.

Thanks for your messages but doesn't help me at all and I AM also telling to stay relaxed: I don't want decide for all user and I will not asking to make Avast less better from what is now.

I AM also of the idea of leave the user the possibility to customize settings, one of this settings is not working. This just is the issue.
 :)

Have a nice day  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 04:33:41 PM by peopleinside »

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 04:36:59 PM »
your comment about being scared is insulting and absolute crap
This seems not be nice. Crap seems to be not a nice word. I feel to have not wrote to you offensive words.
Scared is not a crap is an emotion, a feel... so before tell me I AM offensive please ... think.

I see in this way, I hope to be not wrong and have wrote all in the correct way as my english is not advanced
but usually I can understand and be understood.
 :o ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 04:40:32 PM by peopleinside »

Offline stibi

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2017, 05:05:38 PM »
I know you have no issue with Avast and this but in my case there are something who is not working as is expect to do.
I think we understand this. Maybe you expect too much.

You can relax
Yes, you too. For me this seems not a very urgent problem. Besides - I know users who stay with the previous version and wait until the really new troubles are solved.
My version 12 does a good job and protects my PC ;-)

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2017, 05:11:24 PM »
I know you have no issue with Avast and this but in my case there are something who is not working as is expect to do.
I think we understand this. Maybe you expect too much.

You can relax
Yes, you too. For me this seems not a very urgent problem. Besides - I know users who stay with the previous version and wait until the really new troubles are solved.
My version 12 does a good job and protects my PC ;-)

Is all working for me (except automated update if settings password is set)
so if an user has no a setting password protected there are no issue and sure, PC is protected.

The issue of Avast Program version not updated is Medium severity. Is not an immediate issue who expose the PC to security issue but as I suggest Avast in this last month to inexpert PC user this will be a Medium issue because they do not stay to update the program so it's important this automated update will be fixed.

Maybe I expect too much, maybe.
If I read on a settings that the program are able to auto update and is not and I report this is an issue, maybe you are right :) I AM expecting to much,  :)
Thanks stibi

Except this issue Avast is working very well.
Should be maybe checked if auto update are broken only for program or also for viruses definitions if a password is set, but maybe viruses definition seems to be updated so to me the issue seems to be on the program version.

I AM sure this will be fixed soon so I AM relaxed :) just looked for support here but as I told maybe this is not the right place where report bug. This is more place where discuss and get help when you do not know well how to use Avast :)

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2017, 05:35:12 PM »
I'am agree with peopleinside for this point.
I do not understand the intervention of David about a possible problem of choice that avast should done for some part of the users , or computers use.
It's clear enough avast lets us choice (for 100% users).
For those like DavidR , they can disable auto-update (Right file)
For those like peopleinside , they can enable auto-update . (Left file)
Here It is "left file" right to say that it does not work like this should, without waiting for a notice from someone who does not use this function

However I'm not sure it does not work like it should even with auto-update enabled?

Does peopleinside always waiting for update at this time ?
Has he waited enough or forced it to update in manual ?

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »
I'am agree with peopleinside for this point.
I do not understand the intervention of David about a possible problem of choice that avast should done for some part of the users , or computers use.
It's clear enough avast lets us choice (for 100% users).
For those like DavidR , they can disable auto-update (Right file)
For those like peopleinside , they can enable auto-update . (Left file)
Here It is "left file" right to say that it does not work like this should, without waiting for a notice from someone who does not use this function

However I'm not sure it does not work like it should even with auto-update enabled?

Does peopleinside always waiting for update at this time ?
Has he waited enough or forced it to update in manual ?

Thanks chris05,
you understood fully me.

I have waited 3 days on two different PC no update has been made... also if you see under settings, update, and all update settings is indicated that after 240 minutes every 240 minutes an update should be automatically installed from what I can understand... also I see that after loggin with password and just use some settings Avast has updated... So I AM pretty sure there is a BUG issue but I have reported to avast privately by different way so Team of Avast will see the issue and if some Avast team read forum as I think, will see also this topic.

:)
Happy to made software better.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2017, 06:24:47 PM »
I have Avast set to "Ask when a update is available" and also have a password protecting the settings.  When there is a update available, there is an exclamation point on the Avast Icon in the system tray.  When I chose to update the program via the AvastUI, I must enter the password for things to continue.  It seems logical that selecting automatic update would not negate the need to enter the password.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner