Author Topic: Avast 17.3.2290 - Auto Update and Free License  (Read 8030 times)

REDACTED

Avast 17.3.2290 - Auto Update and Free License
« on: March 30, 2017, 02:12:59 PM »
Hi,
I have two questions about the new Avast.

The first is regarding the auto update of the program. I think an intelligent option is to set as default that the antivirus program are able to auto update program version. If I go on settings of avast I can see an option like this is available and is checked.

Before update to the version of this topic I was opening Avast for casualty and I discover that a message has informed me that was available a new version with a link to update... so I AM asking why I was updating my avast manually and the program has not been upgraded automatically.
There are a period of time in with this message is showed than the program do automatically the update or what?

Second question is:
why avast free when installed alow only 30 day of free license and user should go on the setting to press a button for have the license active for 365 day? Why cannot be automatically set to 365 days without user can be exposed to license expired? I understand expire license has sense for paid user but why there are also for free users? Why user should press manually a button for see the license set to 360 days and cannot be all automatic?

Thanks,
Marco - Italy
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 06:44:11 PM by peopleinside »

REDACTED

Re: Avast 17.3.2290 - Auto Update and Free License
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 05:03:42 PM »
Thank you for your message but links provided by you are not replying to my post. I had already seen and read but is not giving the requested information.
In the article is said that Avast will update the program version automatically so why in my case I opened Avast and seen the message and link for update Avast version?
Without the clik on this link Avast will stay at the old version program.

Also you said is no more necessary register for a free license and user has to go on settings than press only the register button and I AM asking why user have to do that?
But maybe I know the reply now. You set the free license to be valid for 30 day from installation so user after 30 day will be notified with a pop up that the license is expiring than will be showed the option to upgrade to the paid version or continue with the free version.

So the reply to the second question is for commercial purpose.
The first question still be unanswered.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »
In the article is said that Avast will update the program version automatically so why in my case I opened Avast and seen the message and link for update Avast version?
Without the clik on this link Avast will stay at the old version program.
Program update does not happen instant, there is something called server load, if 200+ million avast users should do program update at the same time avast servers would burn, so the auto update is spread over weeks

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:41:37 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »
But in this time the program will show Upgrade link in the main page of Avast?
So when I opened Avast I was see: you are protected, Avast need Update.

So maybe if I was not clicking on the link update will be done automatically after a week, I suppose.
Thanks for the replies. Understood.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »
So maybe if I was not clicking on the link update will be done automatically after a week
Yes   ;)

Next time, be patient wait and see

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »
Is strange to me Avast, when opened tell you there are a new version... so the program has detected there are a new version but what do? Do not update or download the update? So why is telling to the user there are a new version?

I do not know. Today I see also other users also opened a topic about automated update... seems is not only my doubt.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 10:04:10 AM »
What would have been helpful was a screenshot about this update notification, to give us an idea where it comes from. If you have now manually updated the opportunity to capture a screenshot is lost.

If avast program update is set to Auto Update (default option) then you still have to wait your turn in the update cycle to balance server load over time, everyone can't get the update at the same time. If your settings are to Ask when an update is available, then you get notifications when the update is available (within that update cycle).

From what you say it sounds like these notifications (Ask when an update is available) are that reminder to update when it is available for you.

On this win10 laptop I have still got avast 12.3.2280 and I had that set to Ask when an update is available and I got periodic notifications depending on what you were doing. The avast monitoring of your system and its state (avastUI > Settings > General - Status Monitoring) would remind you if something is out of date, be that Virus Signatures or Program Updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 10:29:37 AM »
My Avast is in Italian.
In settings, Update is set Automated Update (first option) So I suppose the software is automatically updated but seems not.

When I open Avast I see "Avast should be Updated"
I posted on other topics for let know I AM having same issue so is usrfull to know that other user have the doubt auto update are not working.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 10:40:46 AM »
Other screenshot.
Aggiornamento Automatico = Automated Update

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 11:30:53 AM »
It would appear that it 'should' have updated, with this latest version I only have it on one system (not this win10 laptop) and I don't want to test the auto update on this system.

What I can only surmise is that it downloads the update in readiness and only completes when you are ready by clicking that "Avast should be Updated" option.

When they brought in this Auto Program Update I was (and still am) against it I don't want my program to update when I'm busy, but at a time of my choosing. I certainly wouldn't want it to reboot, so I'm thinking (without real proof) that is why you are seeing the "Avast should be Updated" notice in the UI.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 12:26:16 PM »
It would appear that it 'should' have updated, with this latest version I only have it on one system (not this win10 laptop) and I don't want to test the auto update on this system.

What I can only surmise is that it downloads the update in readiness and only completes when you are ready by clicking that "Avast should be Updated" option.

When they brought in this Auto Program Update I was (and still am) against it I don't want my program to update when I'm busy, but at a time of my choosing. I certainly wouldn't want it to reboot, so I'm thinking (without real proof) that is why you are seeing the "Avast should be Updated" notice in the UI.

So if user do not open Avast?
Stay for all life with old version? This is not so intelligent.

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 01:21:18 PM »

It's just a matter of awareness , daily habits
Of course, if you know you're never going to open avast, do not act like DavidR

For your main problem: avast did not automatically update itself when it is configured as well
Did you get a reasonable delay , rebooted your pc ?

Quote from: Pondus
Program update does not happen instant, there is something called server load, if 200+ million avast users should do program update at the same time avast servers would burn, so the auto update is spread over weeks
The warning may have been temporary
The indication certainly makes it possible to force the update (if you have noticed) without waiting for it to be done on its own,later.?

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »
I think is a bug

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »

There are other areas for notification that I also mentioned in Reply #7:
Quote from: DavidR
The avast monitoring of your system and its state (avastUI > Settings > General - Status Monitoring) would remind you if something is out of date, be that Virus Signatures or Program Updates.

This changes the avast tray icon by placing a yellow triangle with a ! (exclamation mark) over the avast tray icon. You would have to confirm the Status Monitoring for Program Updates is enabled. I have that disabled on this win10 as I know a program update is available, but I don't want it to do that just yet as it gives me a reference and a way to help others who are still using avast 12.3.2280.