Author Topic: ON - Access Protection  (Read 32590 times)

rlndsgrb

ON - Access Protection
« on: March 26, 2006, 02:31:38 PM »

Linux Avast has not "On-Access Protection Control ,isn't it ?
 I don't see it.....
Many thanks.

Culpeper

Re: ON - Access Protection
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 06:18:24 PM »
No, not needed on a Linux OS workstation.

rlndsgrb

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 04:14:31 PM »
Thanks.
...and why  is it not necessary ?

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 03:33:41 AM »
Because there is like only a couple of Linux virus in the wild.   What's the point of wasting resources if your using Linux and scanning on-access for Windows virus.

halg

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 06:19:46 AM »
No, not needed on a Linux OS workstation.
Because there is like only a couple of Linux virus in the wild.   What's the point of wasting resources if your using Linux and scanning on-access for Windows virus.

Well, then why even have a Linux antivirus at all?   Answer:  Viruses and malware are coming to Linux.  Not nearly as many, and their effects will tend to be much more limited, due to the superior security of Unix and Linux kernel architectures compared to their Windows peers.   But they are coming.

Just like you can have malicious software in web pages and emails that can damage a Windows system, you can have malicious software that could -- at very least -- arrange to modify a user's files to create a trapdoor, or steal sensitive information from a password "vault," etc.

A 94% solution is not sufficient since 6% can create 95% of the damage.  Again, we can reasonably expect that damage to unix-architecture systems, including Linux, will tend to be much more limited in extent and intent than windows-targeted malware.  Still, there are plenty of good reasons to want an anti-malware tool for Unix systems.

And, yes, on-access protection for Unix and Linux are as imminent as for Windows for all the same reasons.  For a comparison, see AVG free for Linux; they use the dazuko kernel module to implement their on-access scanner.  (Unfortunately, though, AVG's does not have an alert mechanism, just a logfile.  Someday, someone will get it all together.)

Dublin

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 11:16:39 AM »
on-access scanner will be integrated into avast! Linux Edition during this year

halg

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 09:41:43 PM »
First Dublin fixes the crash I was having.  Now he is promising on-access scanning.  If Dublin were running for office, I would vote for him! ;D

I don't mean to be too pushy here, but could it have email or desktop notifications?  One severe shortcoming of AVG for Linux is that it finds viruses but doesn't alert the admin or user (it also does not have an option to quarantine files).

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 05:31:09 AM »
The new version is creating additional problems like the lock file and argument strings too long as well as the original qtengine error.

Also, the KlamAV interface now has on access scanning with ClamAV.  Both are open source.

I think dublin is actually under staffed.  He needs more hired help.  I have yet to test a single release, beta or otherwise, that hasn't had obvious bugs immediatley after installing.  These aren't official releases.  They don't even qualify as release candidates.  Sorry if I sound cruel but I wouldn't be much help if I didn't call them as I see them.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 09:35:22 PM »
I think dublin is actually under staffed.
Seems so...

Dublin, did you manage to add the Portuguese translation? I did not see it for download...
Igor received the .po file for it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 09:41:23 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Dublin

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 05:09:40 PM »
Hi,
I was occupied with pluggins for the server version last weeks.
I will take a look at all unsolved problems in the workstation version in the rest of April.
Tech, Portuguese and other translations will be availabe in the next version. I will cooperate next steps with Igor and you will receive a beta version for the final language check.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 08:23:01 PM »
I was occupied with pluggins for the server version last weeks.
I've never received this version for translation... at least I don't think so.
Are the strings the same as the ones of ADNM version?

I will take a look at all unsolved problems in the workstation version in the rest of April.
Nice to know  8)

Tech, Portuguese and other translations will be availabe in the next version. I will cooperate next steps with Igor and you will receive a beta version for the final language check.
Ok... I'm glad to cooperate  8)
Why don't you release a Debian version of the installer either? (now only rpm and tar archives).

Dublin

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 04:36:33 PM »

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 04:57:59 PM »
Hello Dublin :)

Does the package contains all the translations or there will be different package for every language version, like in the Win version?
Sorry if the question is not correct, but I am still not very familiar with Linux Platforms.
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Dublin

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 11:14:06 PM »
yes, it does. there's only one package
to see it translated into bulgarian language type in the terminal:
  % LANG=bg_BG avastgui

portuguese translation:
  % LANG=pt_BR avastgui

finnish translation:
  % LANG=fi_FI avastgui

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 12:02:21 AM »
Thanks Dublin.
If everything goes fine, tomorrow I'll boot on Linux to take a look into the translation look  8)